Skip to main content

What is being done to fix the HORRIBLE app update - May 2024

Sonos was a trusted brand. Management needs to acknowledge the issues in the recent app update and publish a roadmap and timeline to fix them, and soon. The May 2024 update makes our speakers and entire system completely useless. As an exhausted mom who can’t replay “Old MacDonald ” for the 10x for her demanding toddler due to Sonos’ HORRIBLE app update bugging out the entire system - PLEASE FIX THE APP. I’m exhausted and it’s 92% Sonos’ fault. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Duplicate post, for a duplicate type of thread:

Have you not read this FAQ article?

My understanding is that the FAQ article will be updated as needed.

Or seen the release notes here?

Or the article on the Verge (sorry, no link) that the CEO talked about this?

Neither of those links address those of us that have a pile of brand new speakers that the app cannot see.  Those of you with existing systems, I think are having a different experience.  I was anearly adopter of Sonos and have an entire house full of S1 speakers so I’m generally familiar with the process. 

Neither of those links address those of us that have a pile of brand new speakers that the app cannot see.  Those of you with existing systems, I think are having a different experience.  I was anearly adopter of Sonos and have an entire house full of S1 speakers so I’m generally familiar with the process. 

That’s a different problem.  Usually, a network refresh clears that up.

Userlevel 2

For those with significant financial exposure due to the failed SONOS app update, please feel free to follow along as we look to prepare a Class Action Lawsuit against SONOS, INC.

Userlevel 2

I am guessing Sonos did a further ‘improvement’ in the last day.  Now the app sees all my speakers but simply will not play.  I am hesitant to try to reconnect everything yet again if they are aware of the problem and working on it, but I am unsure how we can figure that out.  Also, I have done it so often since this new app roll out, it is feeling like a pointless exercise.

How do they continue to botch up their fixes? This company had such a good reputation.  This rollout seems like a  shining example of how to not manage updates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Athompson3305 I feel your pain, and wish I could offer more than “wait for an update fix…”

@Airgetlam Frankly, reading FAQs and release notes is not something the average Sonos customer should ever have to do. Sonos markets itself as a home music system that will make your left better. Sonos is not some sort of product that users should have to tinker with. It’s understandable that a botched automatic update like this would infuriate many people who simply want to listen to their music, and unexpectedly cannot.

This app update marks the second time and not so many years that Sonos has botched its software for many (most?) customers. It really seems like they don’t care, or they are unable to produce decent software. I can’t say, which is the case. 

Good luck with the class action @Geoffrey S !

Userlevel 2

Well they did something as my products came back to life this morning.  So, some patch was created.  This is a most fascinating approach to managing an update.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I am stuck with a queue of songs that I cannot change or delete in any way. No edit, no delete, no add. We’ve endured the same bloody tracks on speakers since the botched app update. The app sees all my speakers but I can’t do anything beyond play/pause, skip tracks or change volume. I cannot access my NAS, I cannot access my dozen or so playlists created and painstakingly curated years ago. All gone.

I am perilously close to getting rid of my sizable and very expensive Sonos hardware collection and investing in another brand (and there are attractive options on the market the world over). 
Why won’t Sonos roll back or make the previous version available in the app store?

Tim

Sydney, Australia 

I am stuck with a queue of songs that I cannot change or delete in any way. No edit, no delete, no add. We’ve endured the same bloody tracks on speakers since the botched app update. The app sees all my speakers but I can’t do anything beyond play/pause, skip tracks or change volume. I cannot access my NAS, I cannot access my dozen or so playlists created and painstakingly curated years ago. All gone.

I am perilously close to getting rid of my sizable and very expensive Sonos hardware collection and investing in another brand (and there are attractive options on the market the world over). 
Why won’t Sonos roll back or make the previous version available in the app store?

Tim

Sydney, Australia 

Not the optimum answer by any means, but if you have a PC or Mac, the PC/Mac controller is still available and has the full suite of queue controls.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Userlevel 2

My system was working well for the past week, then last night, disaster.  It seems to have become very unstable again with speakers continuously dropping, making it unusable again.  I’m hoping they did something again today, because this morning the system was useless. 

Userlevel 2

I had no sound for a few days.  Miraculously restored this am, now the speakers randomly start and stop around the house, while the app generally won’t respond.

This is a bad hobby - fighting with the app and speakers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Not only does sonos not recognize my 2 playbars, my other play1’s, both my play5s, or play 3, but when I do get to listen to my playlists on my mac, which i can control off my iphone, but unlike BEFORE the app update, IT TAKES FOREVER FOR IT TO FIND MY ROUTER. The delay is endless!.

It’s not  just missing playlists and library, or inability to play sonos on other speakers, but the list goes on and on.

Why did sonos do away with the “software update needed do you want to update now?” feature? At least I didn’t say yes. Why do this default to having it toggled for automatic updates ON. Give us the option, sonos, gives us a WARNING that you’re about to break something that heretofore worked beautifully, efficiently and flawlessly.

Userlevel 2
Badge

What are these articles? These are just a regular FAQs as if nothing happened. They talk about “improvements/updates/additions” as if they were doing users a favor to improve on an already perfect system. 
We need to know what’s been done to already broken system. Nowhere it says that ‘we fixed an interface that no longer shows grayed out stations’ or  ‘we fixed a phone app so it doesn’t show “No products found”’ every time I launch the app (I have to kill the process and restart it……..every single time).
The part of not acknowledging the big fu$%&$ up is what bothers me.