Answered

upgrading components to enable airplay

• 26 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I have a number of older components grouped into various rooms and as I understand it , none of these components support airplay.  From reading community responses it looks like I would have to upgrade only one component in each room in order to use airplay in that room. Is that correct? (e.g., playbar, sub, and two play ones in room….I would replace a single play one with Sonos one and then entire room would be enabled….is that correct?)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 February 2023, 21:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Kind of, but if I’m guessing your configuration, you may need to slightly adjust.

If your two PLAY:1s are set up as either a stereo pair, or surround speakers, you won’t be able to ‘swap out’ one for a Sonos One. They won’t ‘pair’ properly.

However, you could certainly do what I did. Get that Sonos One, and add it to your system as a separate room. You can the target that room in AirPlay 2, and then in the Sonos controller, group that room with any other Sonos room (your home theater room) to get the AirPlay 2 signal playing wherever you want.

Badge +1

Thank you Bruce …  the existing play ones are configured as surrounds so  i guess it makes sense that you could not replace just one.  That said, i think your work around is a good idea… i imagine i could also add it (stand alone, un paired) to the rear of the (same) room? 

Physical room, yes. Sonos software ‘room’, no. It must’ve a separate ‘room’ in the Sonos software, but then you’d group the two rooms, as I said before. 

You wouldn’t really be able to play the TV sound on that second ‘room’, it would trail the TV ‘room’s‘ input by at least 75 ms. But when playing a music or AirPlay 2 stream, both ‘rooms’ would be in full sync. 

Badge +1

Yes, that would be the plan ….. group the two “rooms” for music playback through airplay which is what I want to accomplish. I get that the tv config would have to stay the same.   

‘thanks for clarification.