Skip to main content
Question

Unable to add shared folder to music library (913)

A couple of weeks ago I was able to add my own music to my Sonos system, tried to add a mix yesterday and I am now getting this error “UNABLE TO ADD SHARED FOLDER TO YOUR MUSIC LIBRARY (913)

This is really annoying and frustrating that I can’t listen to my own tunes, what has changed? and is there a fix for this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 1

Exactly the same problem here. Bad enough that the mobile app has removed the ability to add network drives entirely. The desktop app was supposed to be the workaround, but it just won’t add my NAS drive - I’ve checked and double-checked the password, and I only get the 913 error.

The same problem here too.

Ditto, when will Sonos provide a fix for this. I have lost access to my music library and can only use the system to listen to radio stations (I don’t use streaming services). The last few weeks has shook my confidence in the company and its ability (and desire) to look after its existing customers going forward,

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

A couple of weeks ago I was able to add my own music to my Sonos system, tried to add a mix yesterday and I am now getting this error “UNABLE TO ADD SHARED FOLDER TO YOUR MUSIC LIBRARY (913)

This is really annoying and frustrating that I can’t listen to my own tunes, what has changed? and is there a fix for this?

and 

Those fixes don't work for me (on MacOs)

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Those fixes don't work for me (on MacOs)

Here is a post for Mac OS, that is in one of the links of my first post.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/how%2Dto%2Dsolve%2Dthe%2Derror%2D913%2Dmusic%2Dlibrary%2Don%2Da%2Dmac%2D6894161?tid=6894161

Userlevel 1

Same problem here. The various “fixes” I’ve seen do not work for me. Unbelievable that they would release an update that takes away the local library.

Exactly same problem here...Sonos better fix this soon as nothing I’ve done can fix this. I want my own, local music library now!!!! 😡😡

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Same problem here. The various “fixes” I’ve seen do not work for me. Unbelievable that they would release an update that takes away the local library.

The app didn't take away your local library. The decision to remove SMB v1, is the same decision many other tech companies have made. Sonos is just one of the last ones to do it, but users were warned it would go away. 

With the new updates, you should have regained access to your libraries. If you have not and have mane the change from SMB v1 to SMB v2 or three, you have a network issues that's preventing it from loading.

Of you have the old app on another device, PC, iPad etc.. use that to update your library and completely close and restart your app. My library changes show up.

Userlevel 1

Pools-3015 good for you, I’m glad your sonos is working. But apparently many, many other users are in the same boat as i am where this update completely broke the ability to play your OWN LIBRARY OF MUSIC. This is completely unacceptable. I shouldn’t need to be an expert in SMB (whatever that is) to use Sonos to play my own itunes library. Whatever updates these “other companies” have done have not negatively impacted my life. I’ve now spent hours researching how to fix this gd thing and have gotten nowhere. Add your suggestions to the pile of things that don’t fix this problem.

Userlevel 1

The app didn't take away your local library. The decision to remove SMB v1, is the same decision many other tech companies have made. Sonos is just one of the last ones to do it, but users were warned it would go away. 

With the new updates, you should have regained access to your libraries. If you have not and have mane the change from SMB v1 to SMB v2 or three, you have a network issues that's preventing it from loading.

Of you have the old app on another device, PC, iPad etc.. use that to update your library and completely close and restart your app. My library changes show up.

This is just incorrect for the seeming majority of users. My NAS drive is SMBv2 by default, and the rogue 913 error won’t let me add it. It seems many people are in the same boat, and this is entirely on SONOS.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

This is just incorrect for the seeming majority of users. My NAS drive is SMBv2 by default, and the rogue 913 error won’t let me add it. It seems many people are in the same boat, and this is entirely on SONOS.

Is the app bad? YES

Are there more people having issues than those not having issues? NO

Is this entirely Sonos’ fault? NO

There are many more people who have a good/pleasant experience with the new update that those who have issues. They are just not as vocal. I also believe that there are many who are just jumping on the bandwagon (other people’s posts) with the phrase “I'm having the same issue”, adding to the negativity out there. Some do not even try to search for a solution when asking for help. Sometimes there are even responses like “thats not convenient for me” when you suggest a solution.

There are MANY different things that have caused connection issues for many users, not the majority of users; connecting a NAS or Sonos device to a wireless mesh node, instead of the main router, is one of those things that I'm sure many have done. 

There are users, like me who have not had any disruptions with the new app. It's just frustrating that some functions that are missing. But I, very cautiously, updated a single device just in case there was issues. If there is something I am unable to do on my phone, i grab my iPad or my Macbook and do it there:

Unifi network - UDM P, 24 Port Poe Switch, 2x 8 port PoE switches, U6 Pro

11 Sonos speakers, 5 of them hardwired

Synology NAS

Apple TV

Alexa

I’m in the majority, and i have not seen any errors using the new app. Even though I just bought a Five that connected and updated on my network wirelessly.

Userlevel 2

I have tried all the the different things people have suggested and have no joy, I am on a pc windows 10, if this is a global issue why is there nothing coming out of Sonos, this is really poor I just want the ability to listen to my own music through their system, if i cant do this really what is the point????

Userlevel 1

I’m on a Mac but I was finally able to add my library. I’m not exactly sure what I did that caused it to work, but it likely had something to do with either 1) toggling SMB sharing off and then back on, or 2) reinstalling the controller, or 3) under Users and Groups, enabling guest users to connect to shared folders (not sure why this would have done anything since I’m always logged in as the admin). Also, for whatever reason, the library addition requires two tries (the first gives the 913 error). I had to delete and re-add my library a few times to get the playlists to load (need the .xml file) and each time that was the case.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Hello, I want to give you all my final feedback.

I've been using the Sonos application on my Mac for several years and until the latest Sonos update I always had my music library loaded as a local folder. Since the last update I have no longer been able to load the local folder in any way. I haven't changed and neither has my MacOs 10.15.07, so Sonos created the problem. Reading the workarounds here in the community I tried loading the local folder as a shared folder.After a few attempts I understood that I had to start the filesharing protocols and I did it via terminal:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

By doing this I was able to load my music library as a shared folder (with some security drawbacks), BUT... my Sonos product no longer works as before and I can't use one of its main functions.
Cheers

Just did an update today and lost the ability to play my music.  The reason I got SONOS was so that I could play music I have on my PC with Wi-Fi throughout my house.  I have been trying work-arounds but nothing is fixing the issue.  This needs to be corrected!

Has anyone heard anything more from Sonos about when this will be fixed? The latest update did not fix this issue.  the workarounds don’t work for me.  Quite frustrating…...

Here same problem !

Have my music library on an usb drive, but get the 913 error … what can been done to fix ? need this to be able to use Sonos … my music library is on my Mac !!!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

The workarounds to (try to) regain ability to play music stored on a PC -- to accommodate Sonos' alleged new security tightening -- all require undertaking a major security vulnerability, ie, enabling file sharing.  

Also, there isn't even an option to play music on device from my android in the app, and you can't downgrade back to the S1 app ... "temporarily" ... Until some "future update" that will probably never happen 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The workarounds to (try to) regain ability to play music stored on a PC -- to accommodate Sonos' alleged new security tightening -- all require undertaking a major security vulnerability, ie, enabling file sharing.  

My security posture borders on paranoid, so I share your concerns. Opening up a READ-ONLY file share of your music files is an extremely limited risk. The proprietary music library mechanism built into the Sonos desktop apps (technically http sharing) was a far greater risk.

Userlevel 1
Badge

My security posture borders on paranoid, so I share your concerns. Opening up a READ-ONLY file share of your music files is an extremely limited risk. The proprietary music library mechanism built into the Sonos desktop apps (technically http sharing) was a far greater risk.

I don't recall ever ticking a box authorizing any Sonos apps to do http sharing and I don't think that's actually what it did (see Claude info here), but in any case some obscure Sonos proprietary risks aren't something likely to attract significant devotion of blackhat effort. Windows file sharing, on the other hand, is installed and enabled on hundreds of millions of computers. Not going there, and it's a ridiculous ask imo

Sonos having problems for years now to play my macbook library.

Always something ….  I am giving up !!

Trying an Ibroadcast account and see if I can still get some value of my sonos speakers …

grrrrr

This is ridiuclous. I have 9 Sonos speakers and was an early adopter. First they try to brick our S1 speakers and now they have bricked library use. I can feel a class action coming up. I too am having the 913 issue and none of the suggested workarounds are fixing the bug. I use WIN11.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Spent hours trying all the suggested fixes and no joy for me either.  Got better things to do than try to overcome their product deficiencies.  Defending Sonos on this is defending the indefensible.

Just spent another 20 mins on the help line this morning and did not get through. Waiting for a call back I suspect won’t come.

Sonos - you need to put out an official update on this mess and fix the problem pronto.

So I am over the error 913 issues. Nothing has changed my end, I haven’t changed any settings.  Whilst I can add my music source, only a handful out of 17000 songs sync. When I update the library, within a few seconds it stops syncing as if Sonos thinks it’s finished the indexing.