Answered

Unable to access samba share after SONOS update

Badge

My Music Library is shared both from my wife’s Win 10 laptop and my Linux laptop (running Linux Mint 21.3), which shares my Music folder via samba.  After the SONOS update to 16.0, my system doesn’t recognize the Music folder on my Linux laptop, and I can’t re-add it to the library.  Nothing was changed on my laptop, only the SONOS software update.  I can see the Music folder on my laptop using File Manager on my wife’s laptop, so I know it’s sharing properly on our home network. I’ve added these lines to smb.conf as I’ve read in various SONOS support threads, but no joy:

[global]

server min protocol = NT1
unix extensions = no
ntlm auth = yes

Has anyone else experienced this issue after updating?  And has anyone found a solution?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 4 March 2024, 16:47

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PiperKev 

Thanks for your post!

My own Linux server has the following in it’s smb.conf file:

client min protocol = NT1

client max protocol = SMB3

server max protocol = SMB3

server min protocol = NT1

unix extensions = no

follow symlinks = yes

ntlm auth = yes

But I have SMBv1 (NT1) enabled for non-Sonos reasons, so I think the following would be what you want to use:

client min protocol = SMB2

client max protocol = SMB3

server max protocol = SMB3

server min protocol = SMB2

unix extensions = no

follow symlinks = yes

ntlm auth = yes

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks, Corry!

No joy, however.  I tried both of the sets of settings you provided, and neither of them will let SONOS see my share.  I think it has something to do with the SONOS update to 16.0, but I can’t downgrade it to test, I don’t think!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PiperKev 

I think the update was probably more correlation than causation - otherwise, we’d be seeing a lot more reports of it going wrong for others too, including me.

Did you restart the Samba service after changing the smb.conf file? The service would need to be restarted for the changes to take effect. Given that the Linux share worked with Sonos before, however, I’m thinking that the configuration of the server isn’t where things are going wrong.

If you haven’t tried already, I recommend rebooting all devices that are involved - the Linux server, your speakers (and Boost) and your router (power off the router for at least 30 seconds). It’s a little bit of a long-shot, but always worth trying.

Do you get any error numbers in the app? If not, there will be errors being logged nonetheless - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, if all else fails.

I hope this helps.

Badge

I appreciate it!  I did restart smbd after each change, and I rebooted the BOOST, but I haven’t rebooted EVERYTHING yet.  I’ll try that today.

No errors, just a message that my music files are not available.  That message is the only thing that shows up in the error log as well. I did submit a diagnostic (**********) in hopes that it’ll shed some light on the problem!

FWIW, when the problem first started, I could still see the shared music folder in the SONOS Controller on my wife’s laptop, but when I selected it, it told me that no files were available.  I deleted the folder from the Music Library and tried to re-add it, which has led to my current situation...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PiperKev 

Thanks to your screenshot (well, photo 😁), I now know why it is not working. What I don’t know, on the other hand, is why it worked before - if nothing has changed. The network name of your computer is too long - 16 characters is the maximum accepted. Instead of “kevin-Inspiron-3793”, it will be better to just have “kevin” or “kevin-Inspiron”. To make this change on Linux, there will probably be a GUI option available somewhere, but you can just edit /etc/hostname (with superuser rights) then save and reboot.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Still no joy.  I changed the name of my laptop, rebooted, and tried both of your suggestions plus my original entries in smb.conf.  Ugh…

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PiperKev 

Apologies - I should have looked at your diagnostics earlier! It seems there were two issues - one we have just taken care of, and another is due to activity performed by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) - namely, DNS Hijacking. When your speakers attempt to resolve your computer’s name into a local IP address, they are instead being supplied with your public IP address, which is preventing them from communicating with the Linux machine.

To fix this, you’ll need to contact them and ask for the DNS Hijacking to be disabled, or there will be an option to do this yourself on their website. DNS Hijacking is not as bad as it sounds - back in the day, if you were to type in a bad web address in your browser, you used to get an unfriendly Error 404 page - with DNS Hijacking, you get a more user-friendly help page explaining that the website cannot be found. It is interfering with normal operation of Music Library, however, so it needs disabling.

It’s possible that you could go straight to the DNS Hijacking configuration page of your ISP by typing your public IP address into your browser - I’m not going to post that here, but if you know how to find it, it may be quicker than googling for the right page.

I presume that your wife’s Windows machine has the Sonos app installed and is therefore using HTTP rather than SMB, thanks to the Sonos Library Service running on her computer - this is not available for Linux, and must be the explanation for why her machine is being indexed.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Two other ways of avoiding DNS hijacking:

• Use the IP address instead of “kevin-3793” (and configure your router to always give this device the same IP address)
  • Add “.local” to the name eg “kevin.local” (though this might be a Windows-only dns feature in which case it won’t help).
Badge

Two other ways of avoiding DNS hijacking:

• Use the IP address instead of “kevin-3793” (and configure your router to always give this device the same IP address)
  • Add “.local” to the name eg “kevin.local” (though this might be a Windows-only dns feature in which case it won’t help).

Stupid question, but would that be my public IP address, or my network’s internal IP?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PiperKev 

It’s not a stupid question if you don’t know the answer!

It’s the local IP address of the Linux machine on your network (so likely fitting with 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x). But, as @controlav mentions, it’s important that the IP address for the PC always remains the same (if you avoid using the computer’s name), so IP address reservation (also known as Static IP) must be set in the router’s DHCP configuration page for it to work long-term. It can be argued that using the computer name gives you more flexibility (if the PC or router is replaced, for example), while using the IP address provides more reliability (but results in much more reconfiguration required when something is replaced). If it were me, I would probably do both - reserve IP addresses, but use the computer’s name in a network path (easier to remember, for a start).

Also reserving addresses for each of your Sonos devices can improve general system stability - especially if your router is ISP-supplied (as they tend to be of the cheaper variety).

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks, @Corry P , but I’m about ready to give up at this point.  I tried adding my laptop to the Music Library with my internal IP address, but I get the same result as when I try using my hostname.  I guess I’ll have to live with half of a library from now on...  

Badge

My router is my own Linksys EA6350, but the modem is Spectrum provided.  I actually replaced the modem today, but nothing changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You could always upload your collection to iBroadcast.com - they have a decent Sonos integration and basic version is free.

Badge

You could always upload your collection to iBroadcast.com - they have a decent Sonos integration and basic version is free.

That's a GREAT workaround, @controlav!  Thank you for the tip!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For now best to avoid possibly conflicting network names, .home.arpa is the RFC suggested option for now but there is hope that .internal will clear the processes and become available too.

So my computer is hp-800.home.arpa which seems to avoid my ISP’s “evil” ministrations.