Tune-In blocking foreign radio stations in the UK Master thread

• 13 September 2020
  • 101 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As Sonos don’t seem to want to, lets try and consolidate the TuneIn UK problem into one master thread.

What we know: starting last Thursday, TuneIn in the UK started blocking all foreign radio stations. They did this because of a lawsuit they lost in November 2019.

Some have also claimed that Sonos Radio is also affected.

The known work-arounds are:

• Add the direct streaming url of the station to the Sonos system (only available to PC and Mac users detailed here
  • Try a different radio station aggregator (eg radio.com)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

101 replies

That issue will be local to your system but I suggest you start a new thread so that this thread can remain on topic.

I think it’s linked as this problem only started on Thursday?

can anyone help me play the greek radio station Koi Sushi Radio? I have tried adding manually and it says encoded wrongly. I can find it in Sonos Radio but it won’t play which is the same for several stays I search and find yet they just won't play. When I go to the actual website for Koi sushi it requires me to have a password and log in details. Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

That issue will be local to your system but I suggest you start a new thread so that this thread can remain on topic.

No there is absolutely no chance of this.  How is the result of a court ruling on radio stations supposed to affect your ability to play local music files?  Lots of things happened in the world last Thursday that were unrelated to the TuneIn radio ruling.  My Sonos Music Library is working fine.  Now can we please stop hijacking this thread?

I did start this on a different thread originally and was advised to head on to this one as, as it’s related to last Thursday and TuneIn

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Shocked that Sonos haven’t even acknowledged the problem as TuneIn have. Also Sonos Radio has only been around for 5 months and already doesn’t work anymore, that doesn’t looks good.

My guess is it’ll get sorted in a while, Sonos would have paid TuneIn for the feeds and are now not getting a service, TuneIn don’t really have a UK business without foreign radio so it’ll just be a matter of negotiating a reasonable license fee to the greedy major label suits.

I did start this on a different thread originally and was advised to head on to this one as, as it’s related to last Thursday and TuneIn

Please read carefully.  My comment was addressed to the person who thinks the problem with his Sonos Music Library is related, not to you.  I am sure your problem is related.

No there is absolutely no chance of this.  How is the result of a court ruling on radio stations supposed to affect your ability to play local music files?  Lots of things happened in the world last Thursday that were unrelated to the TuneIn radio ruling.  My Sonos Music Library is working fine.  Now can we please stop hijacking this thread?

You need to retreat to your safe space John stop being such a snowflake nobody is hijacking anything!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Totally unrelated. Please, create a new thread.

Badge

@controlav Please could you tag this thread with Sonos Radio as well as the other 3 you already have.

Had a long chat with Sonos support today…

I suggest all users do the same as per the last screenshot you’ll hopefully be notified when it’s resolved.  I’ve only included the screenshots from towards the end of the chat and basically once it was admitted there was an issue and being worked on.  I have saved the transcript however...

*Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting pictures.*

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Interesting to note that according to the above post, Sonos “is well aware of this issue and trying to fix”, yet the Status of services is showing all services, INCLUDING TUNE-IN as “Operational” with not even a Partial Outage noted.

Badge

Interesting to note that according to the above post, Sonos “is well aware of this issue and trying to fix”, yet the Status of services is showing all services, INCLUDING TUNE-IN as “Operational” with not even a Partial Outage noted.

Yes, I wouldn’t hold your breath...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Irony or ironies. Yesterday I received an email from Sonos inviting me to take part in a survey about Sonos Radio. 

So there’s clearly a well functioning marketing machine at work here. Why didn’t use it to warn me of what was happening?

Badge

Off topic:  I wonder why the UK arms of these two companies decided to sue in the UK rather than in the US (their parent companies) against TuneIn, also US based.  Probably will happen and used UK as a Guinea pig.  I doubt will affect Warner but Sony should be careful as likely to have a back lash on their consumer products.

Badge

Thanks for the heads up re Mytuner radio. Set the app up and can listen again to 80s80s Depeche Mode, 80s80s Bowie and Deep House Ibiza.

For what it’s worth, I’d expect the MyTuner Radio usage to be temporary. The lawyers are going after TuneIn as the biggest radio provider company, but if they’re successful, expect them to go after smaller providers as well. 

As Sonos don’t seem to want to, lets try and consolidate the TuneIn UK problem into one master thread.

What we know: starting last Thursday, TuneIn in the UK started blocking all foreign radio stations. They did this because of a lawsuit they lost in November 2019.

Some have also claimed that Sonos Radio is also affected.

The known work-arounds are:

• Add the direct streaming url of the station to the Sonos system (only available to PC and Mac users detailed here
  • Try a different radio station aggregator (eg radio.com)

Thanks so much for this. It was a massive frustration that suddenly our favourite station 1Live was blocked. Tunein were useless and clearly don’t care about their European and British customers. Sonos should know better. Thanks again. URL solution worked a treat and everyone happy!

I use Sonos as my alarm clock and set it up so that Sonos Radio plays the UK TalkRadio station for an hour. About once every two weeks it plays a different station, a local one, not a national one.

Has anyone had this happen to them or have a fix?

Hi. Not a sonos user but tripped over this thread looking for the same topic. The tunein situation is affecting denon, roberts radio etc - some are moving to different aggregator. However, for those that don’t know, if you can’t find the URL for a radio station stream, go to their webpage, play live and then from google chrome press F12 to open the page elements and under the network tab you will usually find an element with the stream URL which you can right click and open in a new tab to check it is actually the stream.

It may be easy to identify by a large “activity bar”, it may be called “stream” you may have to search for it, but it will be there somewhere.

Mr Rusty. How i wish this had worked for my favourite station on Live 365.

The whole thing is a nightmare for Sonos users.

Yes agree,not 100%, but does work for a lot of stations. If the stream URL is buried in a script somewhere though it doesn’t work. Why stations that want listeners don’t actively publish their streaming URLs on their websites is a mystery to me.

Because if they did, they’d be sued for enabling illegal play? 

No that answer doesn’t make sense because some stations do post stream links

https://radioparadise.com/listen/stream-links

Depends on each station’s lawyers, and risk assessment. It certainly varies widely from station to station, even within a specific geographic area. 

As well as the technology they have available for geo blocking, which likely also varies widely.

No that answer doesn’t make sense because some stations do post stream links

https://radioparadise.com/listen/stream-links

I am not sure your answer makes sense. Firstly because it assumes everyone is now complying. 

Also because a station publishing its own links is rather different from a service that provides links to tens of thousands of stations with which it has no association, is it not?