Answered

Too Many Playlists? iTunes / Apple Music

• 14 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Error: “There is not enough room to update your music library. Please remove unused queues or saved playlists and try again.”

That is the error message I get when I try to add my Apple/iTunes Music Library to Sonos on my new laptop (MacBook Pro) running Ventura, which is my music server.  I read the previous posts dealing with this issue, but have not found answers. My music library has less than 30,000 songs and about 300 playlists, some of which are organized under folders and some have 100+ songs in them.

I have 2 Sonos systems in 2 homes.  A legacy system (on an S1 controller) in one and a newer system in a 2nd home (on an S2 controller).  Both systems work very well with multiple zones.

I have never had any issues updating my music library on either system, and haven’t made significant changes to my library other than adding a handful or playlists and songs since I go this new MacBook.  But the problem started since I have this new machine.  I successfully transferred my iTunes/Apple Music library to this computer without any problems.

Before I start deleting playlists, can anyone help here?  Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 17 April 2023, 12:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mind.E 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sonos has a playlist limit of a combined total of 10,000 tracks, across all playlists. With 300 playlists in existence, you’d only need an average of 33 tracks per playlist to hit that limit, so I think it is entirely possible that this is where the problem lies.

However, Ventura is not yet fully supported by Sonos, so it’s also possible that it is somehow causing these problems - we are working on bringing full Ventura support to Sonos.

I recommend the first thing you do is check for duplicated playlists - if there are any, these will be the obvious candidates for deletion.

I also recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - there should be some additional information to help identify the root problem.

I hope this helps.

The size of “metadata” (artist, track title, composer, etc.) is a consideration. Excessive metadata will exhaust player memory before reaching any hard limit. I have a collection of short metadata data cuts and just to be mean, I cooked up a playlist of 10000 tracks and loaded into the Queue six times, for a Queue of 60000 tracks. This 10000 track playlist is in addition to my regular (shorter) playlists, that I’ve been using for many years.

@Corry P That is very helpful information.  Thank you.  @buzz also thank you.  If I had to guess, I would say I shave more than 10,000 tracks in those playlists.

HOWEVER, here is the interesting wrinkle…

I have 2 brand new computers, both on Ventura, each hosting the exact same, identical library (synced to the Apple Cloud)…

I just set up the new MacMini over the weekend at our primary residence - legacy sonos system with 9+ zones and over 15 devices.  MacMini is running S1 Controller.  I have ZERO issues.  Library was re-assigned and updated completely on the first try with all playlists.  

Last week, the MacBook Pro, which hosts the identical library at our second home, with newer Sonos devices (only 3 zones, 4 devices), running S2 Controller is the problem.  It will NOT update the library because of the playlist issue.  (Separately, I’ve had major IP issues with these devices staying on the network, which I was finally able to resolve prior to updating the library.)

So this leads me to believe the 10,000 song limit in playlists might actually be an S2 Contoller limitation. Can you confirm this?  And if so, why not raise the limit?

Thanks again,

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mind.E 

S2 devices have more RAM than S1 devices, so if anything, it should be the other way around - though to be clear, the limitation is the same on both systems. Your report is interesting, however.

Could you please try re-indexing your music library on your S2 system once more, and, when it fails, submit a support diagnostic? Once done, please reply here at your convenience with the given number. Thanks.

@Corry P Thank you.  Then I suspect it’s got something to do with my laptop, which has a lot more software on it, particularly in the ‘Music” folder, which also contains files for Logic and Ableton Live. Perhaps Sonos is confused by that?  In both compters, the “Music” folder has 2 folder in it: a 2nd “Music” folder which contains the Library.xml and also “iTunes Music” folder which contains all the actual music files.  So when I index, I have to point Sonos to the higher level “Music” folder so it can find both the library and the files.  

Anyway, I will re-index as you suggest, but it will Memorial Day before am at that location again.  Please leave this thread open.

Thanks again,

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mind.E 

I wouldn’t want to speculate, but if there are extra files there, then sure - it’s possible. I would also look out for a duplicated .xml file (perhaps one copy being in a parent directory) - that would certainly cause a problem, and it would only take one extra file to do so.

No hurry - as long as you don’t take 3 months, the thread will remain open!