Answered

“This song is not encoded correctly” - a Sonos response to some of my itunes music

• 25 April 2023
  • 5 replies

I am requesting some feedback for a recent problem I have encountered with my iTunes music playing on my Sonos system.

Two weeks ago, I encountered the following message-the song is not encoded correctly-when playing some music on my iTunes playlist.  The problem does not appear to be widespread as I can play from my music library w/o encountering this situation.  However, I don’t know the extent of problem as I have nearly 20K music files in my library.  The problematic files have the same file extensions as these that Sonos still recognizes-mp4.  At this point, I am using roam, arc and port as my Sonos sound backbone.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 April 2023, 20:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I had this happen earlier today for the first time.  Playing a Steven Wilson track, Atmos from Amazon Music.  However the track went ahead and played without problem?  All ok so far.

My thought would be to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem with at least one of these particular files, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. None of us that are not Sonos employees, including you, have access to this hard data that would be reflected in this diagnostic. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sonos is aware of this issue. I spent an hour or so with escalated support a couple weeks ago

e.g.,   

Thank you for posting back!

Sonos is aware of this issue… but they clearly don’t care, as it’s been going on for months.

And, of course, their off-shore support is not fully aware of the issue… so you can have fun calling them and wasting 15-20 minutes of your life over this.