Question

the update/android

Userlevel 3

So, with the latest update to the app, the ability to use a widget has disappeared, do we think this is just something that is yet to come with another update "sigh" or has it been missed completely?

23 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

The same thing happened when the original S2 app came out - they eventually got round to adding it back. Overall this update is much worse than the S1 → S2 switch feature wise (queues and playlists missing is ridiculous) but at least the app seems relatively stable.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My widget has also disappeared this morning after the update. Infuriating. I will go to Bose when I upgrade my music system as, whilst the Sonos speakers are excellent, the frustration of using their poor software over the years has become unbearable.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Same here.
The widget has vanished, and the App name has changed from Sonos S2 to ‘Sonos’ with a default colour scheme’.

What’s going on?

Userlevel 3

I just uninstalled the app from my smartphone, downloaded the March update from APK Mirror website, reinstalled and the widget went back.

You must uninstall the app before the reinstallation: the direct downgrade won't work.

Make sure to disable the automatic updates in the top right three dots menu of the app play store page.

You should do this just after the manual installation.

Userlevel 1

Sonos is starting to make a mess of it. I use the widgets daily.

It looks like the magic Sonos had in the early years is fading away.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Also, I’ve just found out from one of the Chat assistants that the alarm setting on the Sonos app has also been removed.  So the existing alarm that has been set to all three of my speakers is working, but I can’t change the times, change the music, add new alarms or delete the current alarms.  She has no idea if this is coming back.  WTAF?!  How can a company be so poor at what they do and still keep getting away with it? So frustrating.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just uninstalled the app from my smartphone, downloaded the March update from APK Mirror website, reinstalled and the widget went back.

You must uninstall the app before the reinstallation: the direct downgrade won't work.

Make sure to disable the automatic updates in the top right three dots menu of the app play store page.

This worked for me - thanks very much.  Still looking to replace the Sonos system with Bose, but this will give me a bit more time.  Cheers.

Thank you, Sir! Not all heroes wear capes! 🫡

Userlevel 1

I use the widget every day as well. I even keep it on the bottom of my home screen. It really sucks it is suddenly gone. Waiting for the Verge article to rip this update to shreds. 

Sonos, you are far too focused on your hardware to the point where you've let how to control the hardware go to crap. And alarms are gone I read! Seriously? 

Thank you! Brings back the sleep timer as well. Another missing feature from the new app!

Userlevel 3

Thanks for this, I'd rolled back, but didn't realise I could prevent auto-update on a per app basis.

Userlevel 1

There's no way I have single-handedly helped the bottom line at Sonos, but I have praised this company's products to friends and family for years, with some of them purchasing as a result. I can't do so in good conscience, now. This is one of the worst app updates I've ever seen by an established company.

The only example that rivals it involves an entirely different community, but maybe there's a Venn diagram overlap here for a few of you. The Instant Pot company updated their app around the time they were acquired by a PE firm that then took them into bankruptcy. That app update also removed the most compelling features for controlling the Instant Pot, and the users went into full revolt.

Good luck, Sonos.

Userlevel 1

I'm utter fuming that my Widget has been removed too,

Now I have to go around in circles to play my music 🎶,  tv , streaming service on all speakers throughout my home 🏡

Before removing Widget I could use the Widget on my phone/tablet (Android) to select speakers 🔊 rooms in home, groups or use Alexa / Google Home to do it for me.

As a disabled customer with major dexterity issues the Widget & smart (Alexa) Controller was major beneficial to me, especially the Widget on screen.

Sonos now removing Widget & upgrading software to S2 with no improvements but reduction in shortcuts has pissed me and looking at "Feeds" 1000s of customers off.

I "like many others have said" will be moving to another Brand when replacing any Sonos equipment.

I did exactly the same with Philips Hue to Govee light products. 

Another unhappy 🙁 customer Sonos 

Another one here who can't believe they've removed the widget which was a brilliant feautre. I've had sonos products now since the very early days and always mentioned to others how good their systems are.

However, over the last few years of having speakers drop out, refuse to connect, having to reboot the entire system and the app freezing or not being in sync with what is playing  is seriously making me think about jumping ship to another supplier.

Surely they would know how used the widget is, who opens the app the adjust volume etc, maybe my grandma. That said the old one would sometimes be slow and clunky. So if they bring another one and it's better I could forgive this, but why release such a half baked update, is sonos a tech startup now?

The Sonos hardware is far superior to the software. It seems to be going backwards. In the beginning I was able to play songs directly from my devices, that option is long gone. The widget didn't always work well, but at least it was good to have. Now that's gone. Honestly, the shortcomings in the app has prevented me from buying more Sonos products or recommending the brand.

Been a Sonos user since my UK days of 2005. I have had up to 14 zones over the years and invested heavily in the brand but their continued inability to listen to their users has been exposed in this latest downgrade. Sonos defies logic by becoming more expensive over time and at the same time delivering an inferior service/product. The hardware is still great but useless without the ability to control it and the speakers are no better than Bose ... whose products I will be phase in as I phase out Sonos. Maybe Sonos has a poor balance sheet (I haven't looked) or poorly managed (clearly he was a better COO than CEO) but not investing in your company's delivery service is inexcusable. Turning the CR100 into a brick despite having originally charged for it, the end-of-service threat for pre-2015 products was enough to walk me to the edge but this is ridiculous. Enough is enough. 

So, with the latest update to the app, the ability to use a widget has disappeared, do we think this is just something that is yet to come with another update "sigh" or has it been missed completely?

Write to ceo@sonos.com to ask for it back!

Userlevel 1

Write to ceo@sonos.com to ask for it back!

Iv sent a email to the link 

Just found this group after seeing this HORRENDOUS update from Sonos. Here is what I see

1. The (very useful) widget is gone 
  2. The old widget doesn’t work fromt he S1 App. I go add it but it says I should open the S2 app - which I then do - then it says I should hookup the S2 App to Wifi - which it alread is - and then nothing…
  3. The alarm is gone
  4. The alarm is still on in my case but now I have no way to change the settings...so now my alarmy will go off every morning whether i like it or not.

BUNCH OF F****** MONKEYS!!!!

How do I get the old app back? 

CLOWNS!!!!!!

Any tips to fix this much appreaciated…

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This worked for me, thank you!
One note: for Android users, the step to disable the automatic update needs to be done BEFORE uninstalling the old app.
i.e. before clicking ‘uninstall’ in Google play, the ‘enable auto update’ checkbox needs to be unchecked. Then proceed with the uninstall.
(Once the ‘new’ app is installed from the APK mirror, the ‘app info’ doesn’t give the option to switch off updates.)
Maybe it’s obvious… but it caught me out the first time!

Legend 👆 

Can't even edit the active playlist with the new app. Just uninstalled and used your link.. Sad we have to do this but thanks.. 👍

Userlevel 3

First they remove the ability to play songs stored on the phone, now they get rid of the widget…

I have lost all confidence in Sonos. You can’t trust any feature reliability or consistency. When it comes time to upgrade my sound system, Sonos is getting the boot.