Answered

The new app doesnt work

Userlevel 1

Good morning, the new app doesn’t work on my device, a realme X2 Pro (Snapdragon 855 Plus + 12GB RAM + 256GB). The new app is not working. It simply won't start. Here are some pictures:

The app shows a logo...

1. It stays on the logo screen for minutes and minutes, then it just goes to a black screen. As you can see, it keeps trying to start, but it never does.

Black Screen

I've tried clearing the cache, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc., but always the same result. It won't start.

What can I do? I'm left without Sonos (I have two Sonos Play 1 and a Sonos Play 5 (Gen 2)).

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 June 2024, 15:03

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

As an Android user, you can delete the app and install the APK of Sonos version 16.1 (from sites like apkmirror), to revert to the old app. Just be sure to turn off app auto-updates!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jorge_cab_rod 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the issues you are having running the Sonos app on your Realme phone. Could you please give us some more details about your phone? What version of Android is it running? Which firmware does it have? If you go into your Android settings, then go to About Phone, then Software information, you should find all the details there (there won’t be any identifying info, so you can just take a screenshot of the page, if you like). Thanks!

Userlevel 1

@Corry P Of course…

Android 11.0

RMX1931_11_F.14

Q_V1_P14,Q_V1_P14

Kernel: 4.14.190-perf+

ColorOS V11

Sonos version 80.02.07-release+20240605.39fbb8f

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jorge_cab_rod 

Thanks - I have passed that along!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Try disabling 5ghz in your router settings.

Userlevel 1

@Marco000 It doesn’t work with router or without router :)… I mean, even trying to open the app with 4G mobile connection; it doesn’t open

Userlevel 1

This is broken from me as well, exact same symptoms, since the update. It's broken for everyone with Android 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1cqvzaw/sonos_app_not_starting_after_update_android/

Userlevel 1

@zachmu it's hard to believe that the Sonos board of directors approved an app version that excludes users with Android 11; in addition, it is illegal. Because my speakers have been left as decorations.

Userlevel 1

It’s a bad oversight for sure. Hopefully corrected quickly. Plenty of Android 11 devices left in the wild.

@Corry P please let us know when the engineering team has an ETA on this. I’d also be curious to know how a breaking app update made it past testing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @zachmu 

As far as I am aware, it is this piece of info that is key:

ColorOS V11

ColorOS is a non-standard version of Android.

Userlevel 1

@Corry P … I agree to disagree. ColorOS is OPPO's version of Android; OPPO is the fifth player in the world market share...

We are not talking about small businesses; I agree that it should have been tested as says @zachmu . Meanwhile, I haven't been able to use Sonos for a month. Is Sonos going to do something? I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jorge_cab_rod 

@Corry P … I agree to disagree. ColorOS is OPPO's version of Android; OPPO is the fifth player in the world market share…

Yes, that’s fair. I didn’t research ColorOS or anything, but I am aware that different manufacturers alter the GUI to their own specs. I think they write their own window managers. A few of the smaller companies are the only ones to use vanilla Android, as far as I am aware, which is the only version which is standard (excepting Pixel, I suppose, which will have a more advanced version). The point is that the custom versions should be written in such a manner that any compatible Android app should be able to open without needing to be tested on that brand/OS, as part of the contract of being permitted to use Android on the device in the first place. Perhaps the window manager has different constraints?

This is all supposition on my part, and not the opinion of Sonos.

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to use Sonos for a month. Is Sonos going to do something? I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem.

We’re still investigating, but I would certainly assume so, yes. 

In the meantime, if you need access to your Sonos system from your phone, please try https://play.sonos.com - it’s not meant for smartphones, so you’ll need to tell your browser to open the Desktop Site to view it, and you cannot configure Sonos from it, but you will at least have playback controls. You may need to zoom in quite far on a small screen, however - again, it’s not meant for smartphones.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

@Corry P

Userlevel 1

My affected Android 11 phone is a Pixel 2 if that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jorge_cab_rod 

That’s the point at which you tell your browser to open the desktop version of the webpage - in Chrome, that’s in the 3-dot menu.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @zachmu 

That is likely relevant - thanks! Do you see the same screens as were shown in the opening post for this thread?

Userlevel 1

Yes, it’s the exact same symptoms. App seems to hang on opening with the circular SONOS logo. I haven’t let it sit long enough to get to a blank screen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @zachmu 

OK thanks - I’ll pass that along.

Is there any way of configuring a system without the app? I'm having exactly the same problem and I've just moved house so have a new WiFi network. Speakers are currently sitting useless on the shelves...

Is there any way of configuring a system without the app? I'm having exactly the same problem and I've just moved house so have a new WiFi network. Speakers are currently sitting useless on the shelves...

If you remember your old SSID and password, you can set the new router to use those.

Userlevel 1

@SandyMeikle you can install an older version of the app manually:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

How you do this depends on which phone you have, but start by downloading the .apk file above.

Thanks, that almost worked. Now saying one speaker cannot be connected to my WiFi, and the other just won't appear in the app. If I try to add another device, my only option is to update the app - no option to continue without updating. I guess I'll just have to wait until the app is fixed.

Userlevel 1

Good morning, Sonos is asking me to choose the best response among the given options, but the truth is that there is no good response. The fact is that the Sonos APP does not work. I don't think it's right to have to download an old .apk from other sites or to have to use my Sonos via the web. The update that Sonos made to its app was a mistake. The only good response would be that Sonos is working on fixing it and that they estimate it will be resolved in X days, but this response has not been given.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jorge_cab_rod et al

We have identified an issue affecting Android devices running ColorOS or MIUI OS that results in the Sonos app opening to a blank/black screen. We are investigating, but have no ETA for when a resolution might be made available.

I have had Sonos for years no problems until my iPhone forced download of new app. Now my system is broken. I cannot play music in any room. The app looks like it’s trying to download my selected song, as if there is no WiFi connection, which is not the case.  Can’t control volume when Sonos does manage to “load” a song.  It’s a total useless mess.