Answered

Spotify users: Issues with "Good morning/afternoon/evening" and "Recently played" in Sonos app?

• 20 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

If you're a Spotify user, can you confirm if you get the behaviour described below in the Sonos app (S2) when you follow these steps?

1. Open Sonos (S2), go to your music services and open the Spotify service.

2. At the top you'll have the "Good morning/afternoon/evening" section, which will contain a bunch of playlists and mixes.

3. Tap on the heading (ie where it says "Good morning/afternoon/evening")

4. I then see an error message : "No selections are available".

5. Go back and, still in the Spotify section of the Sonos app, look for the "Recently played" section (not the Recently played section on the My Sonos page). You'll see a bunch of tiles for playlists/mixes/albums/etc that have been recently played from Spotify.

6. Tap on the Recently played heading

7. I now only see a single tile, for a playlist I haven't played in ages. Nothing else is shown here.

Anyone else see this? It's been like this for a while. Tried removing Spotify, uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app, and no luck. Also happens with my wife's Spotify account.

It's not a huge deal, as I mostly use the Spotify app and Spotify Connect, just curious if this is a "just me" issue or a general issue.

(My Sonos speakers and app are fully up to date).

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 21 December 2023, 12:41

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @jamie72,

Thanks for the step by step instructions on how to reproduce this. I use Spotify myself and get the same results when testing this in the S2 app, so it’s not just you.

I’ll bring this to the attention of our team as a bug report for them to look into, and if I hear back regarding this I’ll reply here with more information.

It looks like you’ve already figured a workaround, which is using the Spotify Connect. Another workaround would be to scroll the section rather than tapping into it as, for example, scrolling the section ‘Your top mixes’ which works for me, seems to have the selection of what would be in it.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @jamie72,

Thanks for the step by step instructions on how to reproduce this. I use Spotify myself and get the same results when testing this in the S2 app, so it’s not just you.

I’ll bring this to the attention of our team as a bug report for them to look into, and if I hear back regarding this I’ll reply here with more information.

It looks like you’ve already figured a workaround, which is using the Spotify Connect. Another workaround would be to scroll the section rather than tapping into it as, for example, scrolling the section ‘Your top mixes’ which works for me, seems to have the selection of what would be in it.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks Jamie! That sounds great.

You’re right that the workaround of scrolling the section in the Sonos app also (mostly) works.

The only place I’ve found where this isn’t possible is if you’re trying to set the Sonos alarm to something that is in one of those sections, as you don’t have the option to scroll through the tiles in that part of the Sonos app (you only get a list of section headings to tap on).

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Jamie A Is this issue still under investigation by Sonos? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @jamie72,

Yes, our team are still investigating this issue with Spotify, however we don’t have any additional information or any ETA on when this will be resolved.

This thread is tagged with the issue and I’ll provide an update when there is any progress.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

More detail about the problem:

If you use the iPad app, you will see the items in the carousel (eg as a horizontal list under “Good Morning”), but if you tap on the “Good Morning” header to see all of them, you’ll get the empty list.

If you use the Desktop app (or my app), which don’t support carousels, you will never see any of the items under it.

The underlying reason is that in Carousel mode, Spotify supply the items in the root json file, but once you tap on the heading (or just use the Desktop app) then the SMAPI call to getMetadata for id “spotify:view:shortcuts” returns no items. No error, but zero items.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So is this is a Spotify or a Sonos problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So is this is a Spotify or a Sonos problem?

100% Spotify, they are returning zero items for id “spotify:view:shortcuts”, which is used for Good Morning -type containers.