Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Userlevel 1
The past couple of months when playing music from Spotify on any of the sonos speakers the music skips to the next song or stops playing at random points. It can be after 2 songs or half a day. The controller reports connection to spotify lost. Sometimes i can immediately click play again and it starts over but sometimes it takes 1-10 min before i can resume. Meanwhile i can play from other sources just fine so it seems like a Spotify specific issue. If i try to play using spotify connect then as i select the speaker, it changes it back to the previous target.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 19 June 2019, 13:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

I’d consider decommissioning the BRIDGE, and either replace it with a BOOST, or wiring directly to a speaker with an Ethernet cable. The power supply on the BRIDGE is old enough now for them to have fluctuations in voltage, that can cause connections to be tenuous, and other issues that are very hard to track. No guaranty that this is your issue, but as soon as I see a BRIDGE in your system, it makes me nervous. 

I did have my play 5 wired directly, to the router, but the phone agent a few days ago asked me to reconnect my bridge to see if it worked better, it hasn’t made any difference.

Encountering the same problem. 

• What devices do you have?

Symfonisk book shelf

• Has anything changed on the network?

No

• Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?

Spotify, saved to device or streaming is the same 

• Is the behaviour always the same?

Yes. Skips every now and then.

• Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?

Random, but regular. At least once a day.

Diagnostic info: 1251937132

Hi,

This is clearly a Sonos/Spotify problem, even the agent I spoke with admitted it. Instead of trying to avoid the responsability by repeating these steps over and over, why doesn’t Sonos simply make a public announcement about this? Sonos is clearly trying toi save some time because it doesn’t know what the problem is on its own end. This is quite frustrating and Im thinking that maybe this is the end for Sonos.

I think what you’re seeing is a partner, Sonos, unwilling to throw their partner, Spotify, under the bus. Sonos doesn’t handle the stream in any way until it reaches the speaker, at which point they interpret the stream, and play it on their speakers. Sonos doesn’t own the source servers, or even the sensitivity that a Spotify puts into their stream for disconnects. At the end of the day, Sonos points their speaker to reach out to Spotify’s server, and play the stream handed to it. That’s the extent of Sonos’ responsibility, just play the stream you’re handed. So, it’s there was a Sonos complicity in actually having difficulty in playing a stream, we would likely see the same issue on other streams beyond just Spotify. Which we don’t. 

My assumption is that Sonos continues to pass information on to Spotify to let them know that the server Spotify has set up to feed to Sonos is having issues, so that Spotify’s engineers can rectify the issue. So far, there doesn’t seem to be any visible motivation from Spotify To do so, so people keep complaining to Sonos, who has virtually no ability to do anything, other than complain to Spotify. 

I totally agree with you, and I think that for this very reason Sonos should be transparent and honest about it, rather than acting as if it were a “costumer setup” problem. It would save us all much time to avoid all these useless manipulations, and phone calls and trials and errors that have actually absolutely nothing to do with the actual problem. We’re in a bad PR handling here, in my view. But like you say, Sonos doesn’t have much leverage with a giant such as Spotify.

The problem is that some of these can be ‘costumer’ (sic) setup problems, and some can be issues with Spotify’s servers. The same symptom can be the result of multiple issues, so what they’re trying to do, I think, is to fix the issues with the Sonos setup locally in all of the cases where they can, and continue to work with Spotify, feeding them the data that they can on the ones that are Spotify issues. Being that Sonos doesn’t pay any money to Spotify, they probably don’t have the same clout as a subscriber, though. Which is why I frequently suggest that people get in touch with the company who owns the service, Spotify, in this case. 

Badge

Trying to post in this thread since not getting any attention by support on https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-loses-connection-to-spotify-6839625 . 

Had these problems just today. New diagnostic: 1183329555. Please stop arguing that it is a network issue, my network is NOT the problem (Spotify on the phone using same network works just fine - other network sources such as last.fm, SR etc works just fine on my Sonos system). This is an issue with Sonos <> Spotify.

Just adding my voice to the crowd. I am eperiencing  this on all my devices, wired and wireless. And I have had a ping running to 8.8.8.8 (google) with 11ms rtt and non dropout when the problem occurre. Starts a song… then skips ahead two tracks. 

When it happens I get a pop up “unable to play ’[song]’ - The connection time Spotify was lost. Note that I am a Spotify premium subscriber. 

here is a diagnostic code: 1621423807

I am having the same issue with my play 1 speaker. Get and error message stating the format is incorrect 

diagnostic number 2089933964

Same probleme here.

Diagnose number: 1827134823

• What devices do you have?
    • multiple sonos speakers
  • Has anything changed on the network?
    • addition of boost
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?
    • Spotify
  • Is the behaviour always the same?
    • Yes
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
    • Happens very often but random. Easy to replicate

Just adding my voice to the crowd. I am eperiencing  this on all my devices, wired and wireless. And I have had a ping running to 8.8.8.8 (google) with 11ms rtt and non dropout when the problem occurre. Starts a song… then skips ahead two tracks. 

When it happens I get a pop up “unable to play ’[song]’ - The connection time Spotify was lost. Note that I am a Spotify premium subscriber. 

here is a diagnostic code: 1621423807

Same Problem!

I have the same problem with my Play 1. Spotify skipping songs from time to time. It started just recently. And Sonos you can’t tell me it’s because of my internet connection. It worked for the last years without a problem. FIX IT!!

Badge

I have the same problem with my Play 1. Spotify skipping songs from time to time. It started just recently. And Sonos you can’t tell me it’s because of my internet connection. It worked for the last years without a problem. FIX IT!!

Exactly the same problem and behaviour at my side

Have either of you tried to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it? Anecdotal reporting only goes so far, and submitting hard data to them might elicit a more concrete response.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Userlevel 2

Spotify song skipping issues here too. Very frustrating. Diagnostic - 814133773

Chiming in to offer my perspective on the issue at hand.  I can certainly appreciate John G’s attempts to help as an IT professional myself… However… there is definitely something wrong with the Sonos app and streaming Spotify.  I am a longtime amazon music subscriber (still am) while recently also subscribing to Spotify to test it out and potentially switch over.  This is the annoying issue I immediately noticed after having ZERO issues with Amazon music for years…  Jamanda posted back on the previous page and included a screen capture which shows the connection to Spotify being lost.  I’ve also seen another one where a song gets skipped completely which indicates the song is not encoded properly…  Odd since I can go back and play the song.  As others have suggested piping the sound directly from the Spotify app works perfectly however this is not preferable as you lose the Sonos playback features.

So before everyone goes ripping through their network trying to find issues which don’t exist I’d say keep the pressure on Sonos!

The same Sonos player software is being used for both your streams. In fact, the only difference in the two is what server they’re getting the source data from. Amazon’s servers versus Spotify’s servers. Not sure why you think additional pressure on Sonos will change Spotify’s willingness to address the issues on the Spotify servers.

And yes, I’m pretty sure Spotify uses different servers to feed different streaming sources, so the server that feeds other sources is likely not the same that Spotify has told Sonos to get the stream from. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Problem still here with Sonos S2!! Just unbelievable. Weeks (months?) now that it’s there, and nobody from Spotify and/or Sonos do anything to fix this!!??

We pay a subscription to Spotify, we have bought expensive Sonos devices, and nobody there can fix this!?

How long do we still have to wait? Is there a little hope that it will be fixed at one time? Or should we prepare to use YouTube Music or Amazon with Bose devices instead?

<very angry customer>

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I don't know what it will take for this to be resolved.  There is very clearly a problem with the Sonos/Spotify relationship. Every Sonos support agent asks users to go through the same steps and they then disappear into the thread to be replaced by more customers reporting the same issue in the thread or a new one altogether.

My niece said last night to me out of the blue how much she hates her Sonos. I asked her why and she just said it never plays hers songs all the way through.  She just has a Sonos One connected to her router with a cable. I've told her to use the Spotify app instead and see how it goes.

@Airgetlam, wherever the issue actually lies, surely you don't really think ‘applying pressure to Sonos’, should have no effect - and how do you know the issue is with Spotify's servers?  Do you really know how the link works and that Spotify have separate servers just for Sonos?  That would surprise me as who pays and what's the benefit of maintaining the same things twice for that purpose?  Or are they all just assumptions to prove the narrative that it can’t be Sonos’ fault?

I think Spotify actually uses Google Cloud? We don't really ‘know' (well I don't) how the Sonos ecosystem actually asks for a track, what it does with it etc.

I see no harm at all in users raising the issues here - but equally no harm at all in raising it to Spotify too - otherwise they could both be the loser..

I’ve recently started to experience this issue (over past couple of weeks) just affecting Spotify where songs skip on a regular basis. Not convinced its a network issues as I can listen to the radio on the same speakers with no issues at all.

Latest diagnostic is 1744218489. Also found some errors in the log:

Wednesday, 10 June 2020 - 1:24 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'Don't Look Back in Anger' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, 10 June 2020 - 1:30 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'Some Might Say' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, 10 June 2020 - 1:40 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'Bubbly' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, 10 June 2020 - 1:43 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

I should note that one of the speakers I’m using in hard wired to the router and the internet connection is stable. As a say other music sources are completely stable.

The past couple of months when playing music from Spotify on any of the sonos speakers the music skips to the next song or stops playing at random points. It can be after 2 songs or half a day. The controller reports connection to spotify lost. Sometimes i can immediately click play again and it starts over but sometimes it takes 1-10 min before i can resume. Meanwhile i can play from other sources just fine so it seems like a Spotify specific issue. If i try to play using spotify connect then as i select the speaker, it changes it back to the previous target.

My Sonos does the same skipping songs after I changed my Wifi setup. I went from a single router to a Google Mesh setup.
So I would think it has something to do wifi setup. Maybe the Mesh refreshes every once in a while or changes channels and that gets picked up by Sonos as a “Next song” message. I’m not sure. Because also it sometimes just mutes the sound for 10-15 seconds and then picks up again. 

I’m having same issues.  Everything was fine with a slow speed internet but when I upgraded to Verizon Fios, nothing but skipping when I play Spotify.  I have a playbar, 4 ones, 1 three and 1 five.  Lengthy waits also getting on my nerves to try to resolve this. Diagnostic #8343284570. I will NOT be spending any money on new Sonos products until this is resolved.  

This is still happening to me, tried resetting everything. Rebooting the router. Signed out of Spotify on everything and re-setup, and still skips one or two songs, mid song. 
Now on top of this, because I have Sonos play 1 and play 3, I have a version of Sonos app that’s not going to be updated (S1). Just bought a beam so maybe get limited functionality. 

Think Sonos have overestimated brand loyalty - i will be switching to new equipment soon if things like this aren’t sorted out.

I have this same issue for some weeks now and I did contact Sonos support several times about this. Last week, they told me it was a known issue and they were working on it.

I’m not sure it is Sonos to blame. I’m considering switching away from Spotify to Deezer.