Answered

Sonos Windows App issue

• 30 November 2022
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Why does my Sonos on Windows closes when I close my laptop? I need Sonos Windows to stay open in order to use my iPhone/iPad as controllers for My Music. I can’t play anything from My Music until I go back into my laptop to open the Sonos App. This can be annoying.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 6 December 2022, 15:13

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This has nothing to do with the Sonos app, it is not required to do anything other than start playback.

When you close your laptop your laptop sleeps (or hibernates). When it does that nothing, including Sonos speakers, can read the files from it.

It’s been a while since I messed with a Windows laptop’s settings, isn’t there a way to cause it not to ‘hibernate’ when closing it? Something in ‘power’ settings that you can tell it to keep network and disk drives alive, but shut off display stuff? That would certainly be at the cost of battery life, mind you.

One of the reasons I put my library on a NAS, to be sure. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

It’s been a while since I messed with a Windows laptop’s settings, isn’t there a way to cause it not to ‘hibernate’ when closing it? Something in ‘power’ settings that you can tell it to keep network and disk drives alive, but shut off display stuff? That would certainly be at the cost of battery life, mind you.

One of the reasons I put my library on a NAS, to be sure. 

What do you use to play your music on Sonos that’s  stored in your NAS? 

Often, an iPad. But Sonos doesn’t care if the controller is open or not, so I usually shut it down on my iPad. Once I’ve told the “computer” on the speaker(s) to go to location X and play, the controller isn’t needed. The controller is merely a remote control to reach the application that runs on the speaker. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

This has nothing to do with the Sonos app, it is not required to do anything other than start playback.

When you close your laptop your laptop sleeps (or hibernates). When it does that nothing, including Sonos speakers, can read the files from it.

So I understand that my issue has nothing to do with the Sonos app. But the does the Sonos on my laptop windows needs to be open in order for my Sonos app on iPhone & iPad to be able to control my library when playing music on Sonos? Because my Sonos keeps closing on my laptop when it goes into sleep mode. When I open my laptop it’s not open. It’s closed so I have to open it in order for me to use my iPhone/Pad to play music. How do I keep the Sonos to stay open in my laptop? 

Where is your music stored? If it’s on the laptop, the ‘source’ of the music stops responding when you shut the lid, because the hard drive is told to ‘sleep’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

When I open my laptop it’s not open. It’s closed so I have to open it in order for me to use my iPhone/Pad to play music. How do I keep the Sonos to stay open in my laptop? 

Do you have the Sonos app on your phone or pad? Why not just use that as the system controller? If you’re then streaming a music source such as TuneIn or Radioplayer, you don’t need the laptop. It’s only if that’s where your music library resides that the laptop needs to be awake. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Where is your music stored? If it’s on the laptop, the ‘source’ of the music stops responding when you shut the lid, because the hard drive is told to ‘sleep’. 

A lot of my music is stored in my 2 external drives that’s on all the time. I have a NAS with all of my music stored in it. I don’t have access to my music on my NAS through the Sonos2 app. So I use My Music via Windows on laptop. But I have to run upstairs to open the Sonos controller on windows so that I can play music through my Sonos. I use Spotify and Amazon, Tunein, Bandcamp, etc to play music also, but use My Music more. Only because I have music that’s not on Spotify or Amazon. I also have PlexAmp with Plex lifetime pass that I seem to can’t that to work either. On the Sonos app I open My Cloud (NAS) and there is no music to be found. But if I open My Cloud on my iPhone/Pad it shows all of my music library that’s in my NAS. I’m thinking the Sonos add on My Home Cloud is not the same as I have on my iPhone/Pad? The PlexAmp is a different story. It won’t let me sign in. So no access to any music. I also have the PlexAmp on my Sonos app. Nothing. I know I have no idea what I got myself into with NAS & Plex. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you clarify what you mean by “My Music”? What is it, and where is it stored or streamed from? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Can you clarify what you mean by “My Music”? What is it, and where is it stored or streamed from? 

Sorry. I meant My Library. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Then why can’t you access it from your ipad or phone? Have you linked your NAS in the Sonos app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you pointed the Sonos app to the folders on your NAS as the computer knows them?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Then why can’t you access it from your ipad or phone? Have you linked your NAS in the Sonos app?

I thought I did. I have the My Cloud app on my iPhone/Pad and the music library (along with all my photos) from my NAS are all in the app when I open it on the Phone/Pad. But I’m guessing the Sonos My Cloud in services is different than the My Cloud on my Phone/Pad? The one on my iPhone/Pad is My Cloud OS 5. The Sonos services it’s My Cloud Home. That’s why I got the PlexAmp thinking I could link my music from NAS to the PlexAmp app because the Sonos services has the PlexAmp app. But I can’t get music into my PlexAmp app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I thought I did. I have the My Cloud app on my iPhone/Pad and the music library (along with all my photos) from my NAS are all in the app when I open it on the Phone/Pad. But I’m guessing the Sonos My Cloud in services is different than the My Cloud on my Phone/Pad? The one on my iPhone/Pad is My Cloud OS 5. The Sonos services it’s My Cloud Home. That’s why I got the PlexAmp thinking I could link my music from NAS to the PlexAmp app because the Sonos services has the PlexAmp app. But I can’t get music into my PlexAmp app. 

The info for linking a music library is here https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Try that and let us know how it goes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

The info for linking a music library is here https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Try that and let us know how it goes.

I opened My Music Library Settings its showings 5 paths. 3 of them I’m not sure what I did or how I added them before. But the other 2 there’s a path showing //Mycloudpr2100/music. So I’m assuming I already have the NAS in there already?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Dcgman#1

If your Music Library file paths link to the NAS drive you have, then your music shouldn’t stop when your laptop is closed or put to sleep. Since you have five file paths, three of which you aren’t sure about, it’s possible that these extra paths are to your laptops storage rather than NAS and that you’re playing from the laptop.

Instead of removing those paths yourself, I’d recommend you reach out to our support team as they have the tools necessary to troubleshoot this with you.

Since it seems you can replicate this issue, please submit a diagnostics before reaching out to our support team, as this will let them know why it’s stopping playing.

I hope this helps!