Skip to main content

I am absolutely appalled and frustrated with Sonos for rolling out an upgrade that has effectively rendered the app and our highly expensive speaker systems unusable. This is completely unacceptable from a company of Sonos's stature. The CEO, Patrick Spence, should seriously consider resigning over this debacle. How are we, the loyal users, supposed to go without music or use basic functions when the app fails to perform even the simplest tasks? This is a betrayal of trust and a huge disappointment.

There are folk on these forums reporting that they are not experiencing issues. Others explained what their problems were, then implemented suggestions offered by forum users, and then also reported their system to be working. 

Do you just want to vent, or are you asking for help? 

I don't like to complain, but I really need these issues fixed to prevent us from being put in this position again. While I appreciate that some users aren't experiencing problems and others have found workarounds, my system, along with many others, is currently unusable. Given my significant investment, I'm both frustrated and disappointed. I just want a new release that resolves all the issues. Please ensure the next update is thoroughly tested and reliable. Take from that what you will.

I don't like to complain, but I really need these issues fixed to prevent us from being put in this position again. While I appreciate that some users aren't experiencing problems and others have found workarounds, my system, along with many others, is currently unusable. Given my significant investment, I'm both frustrated and disappointed. I just want a new release that resolves all the issues. Please ensure the next update is thoroughly tested and reliable. Take from that what you will.

I take from that the conclusion that you think we’re all Sonos software developers or management. 

Wrong. 

We are users, like you. We share problems to try to reach a solution. 

All you are doing is posting the same message multiple times on several threads. You’re not saying anything specific, for anyone to offer suggestions. A generic “my system… is unstable” does not let us assist. 

Just to warn you: the next release is highly unlikely to “resolve all issues”. 

We are users, like you. We share problems to try to reach a solution.

The problems being experienced by many are bugs in the software which requires a software fix. This can only be undertaken by Sonos developers, the “guys” who have access to the code. Unfortunately, the same people who created this mess for Sonos.

Communities are great at helping when there are user errors or advising on a workaround for a known issue. The problems being suffered by many are software errors and requires Sonos to step up and fix. Loyality from the Community is good but will not resolve these problems, regrettably. Had it been, I'm sure the Community would already have resolved many of the issues.

The problems being experienced by many are bugs in the software which requires a software fix. This can only be undertaken by Sonos developers, the “guys” who have access to the code. Unfortunately, the same people who created this mess for Sonos.

Communities are great at helping when there are user errors or advising on a workaround for a known issue. The problems being suffered by many are software errors and requires Sonos to step up and fix. Loyality from the Community is good but will not resolve these problems, regrettably. Had it been, I'm sure the Community would already have resolved many of the issues.

Then why am I, and many, many others, not experiencing these “bugs in the software which requires a software fix”?

Then why am I, and many, many others, not experiencing these “bugs in the software which requires a software fix”?

Maybe because everything in your Sonos world is perfect and you have the patience of a saint? Sonos owners have been let down and highly frustrated by an app that was not fit for purpose, your holier than thou responses are insulting to people who post their frustrations on this forum in the hope that maybe Sonos might listen, take heed, and give them what they paid good money for.

I'm surprised but delighted you are not experiencing problems with the latest version of the Sonos App.

As you are unable to acknowledge problems others are experiencing, visit Sonos Website Support Page. CEO Patrick Spence has written a letter acknowledging many user are experiencing significant problems.

I'm surprised but delighted you are not experiencing problems with the latest version of the Sonos App.

As you are unable to acknowledge problems others are experiencing, visit Sonos Website Support Page. CEO Patrick Spence has written a letter acknowledging many user are experiencing significant problems.

You do realise that, in @jgatie, you’re addressing someone with almost 27,000 replies and who has solved more than 2,000 forum issues? I think he has had his fair share of acknowledging that people have issues - he’s just saying the latest app is working for him. (As it is for me too…).

You do realise that, in @jgatie, you’re addressing someone with almost 27,000 replies and who has solved more than 2,000 forum issues? I think he has had his fair share of acknowledging that people have issues - he’s just saying the latest app is working for him. (As it is for me too…).

Wow, with 27000 replies I’m sure he doesn’t need you to respond on his behalf, he’ll have got the hang of it by now.

You do realise that, in @jgatie, you’re addressing someone with almost 27,000 replies and who has solved more than 2,000 forum issues? I think he has had his fair share of acknowledging that people have issues - he’s just saying the latest app is working for him. (As it is for me too…).

Wow, with 27000 replies I’m sure he doesn’t need you to respond on his behalf, he’ll have got the hang of it by now.

Good one.

😂 Thank you.

I am also ‘one of those’ having serious issues. Sonos Support suggestions didn’t work and I couldn’t re-map the paths to my music library (which was on the same MacBook and partly on a Synology NAS). I still had the library on the NAS, that is until Sonos support got involved. They accessed my Mac remotely and said they needed to set up a new user account on my MacBook and NAS; they set it to admin and it seemed to work. However, within days, I’d lost all access to the Synology! They have offered to ‘try’ and fix it, but no way am I letting them near my tech again. Synology support has now sorted access to the NAS again for me and were not impressed at all with the mess. I have now moved all of my music to the Mac so have a library again, but no search function, no ability to play diff music in diff rooms etc which drives me mental! I bought my system in good faith, spent thousands on the speakers, Moves, Playbar, Beams etc. All I want is what was promised, a sound system and a usable app. Do not belittle those who are having genuine issues, just because your system is not affected.

I am also ‘one of those’ having serious issues. Sonos Support suggestions didn’t work and I couldn’t re-map the paths to my music library (which was on the same MacBook and partly on a Synology NAS). I still had the library on the NAS, that is until Sonos support got involved. They accessed my Mac remotely and said they needed to set up a new user account on my MacBook and NAS; they set it to admin and it seemed to work. However, within days, I’d lost all access to the Synology! They have offered to ‘try’ and fix it, but no way am I letting them near my tech again. Synology support has now sorted access to the NAS again for me and were not impressed at all with the mess. I have now moved all of my music to the Mac so have a library again, but no search function, no ability to play diff music in diff rooms etc which drives me mental! I bought my system in good faith, spent thousands on the speakers, Moves, Playbar, Beams etc. All I want is what was promised, a sound system and a usable app. Do not belittle those who are having genuine issues, just because your system is not affected.

Nobody is belittling anyone.  However, when one definitively calls something a “bug which requires a software fix” without having any idea of the inner workings of the code, I’m going to push back with facts.  As to the bolded, search for local libraries has been back since 7/22, and the ability to play different music in different rooms never went away.

So take a few minutes and learn the new way to switch rooms and what you are playing in each room.  The room at the bottom of the app is the default or “Now Playing” room.  Anything you choose from the sources above the Now Playing room will play in that default room.  To play music in another room, you need to swipe up on the default room to get to the room selection screen.  Tap on a new room (not on the grouping icon) to make it the new default.  Then choose your source to play in that room. 

The search function for my library is not back, as confirmed by Sonos Support when they logged on to my Mac virtually and yes, I was on the latest update. They had no idea why my library path was not working, even when they did their fix and they acknowledge that the search function is not working, but will be ‘fixed’ in a future update. Re the TV muting, I know how to use the new app and switch rooms. I was advised on a different thread to delete my TV soundbar from the system and to re-add it, and it has worked, so that’s fine now. That person was very helpful and not patronising at all.
Also, it is Sonos Support that is saying that the new updates will ‘fix’ the issues. If our terminology re ‘bugs’ and ‘software fixes’ isn’t correct, then maybe you can accept that we are not all software developers. The art of communication is to make oneself understood by the audience and I know that the vast majority of people understand what we are saying. Sonos Support team also understands and has no issue with the terminology that we use. They are happy to try and help.

It works in theory except when you attempt to switch rooms and the new room disappears from the app. Or when you tap search and you get a something went wrong error.  Facts 🙄

@jgatie: At least 99 out of 100 of us never signed up to ‘learn the inner workings of the code’ when we bought into the Sonos universe. We bought a consumer product that promised — and for quite some time delivered — ease of use and an enjoyable listening experience.

I didn’t sign up for BMW factory mechanic’s training when I bought my car either; and I have no clue what really goes on under that hood, particularly now that virtually everything the car does, from fuel mixture to valve timing to throttle response to braking to dashboard displays is controlled by numerous microchips. That doesn’t mean I have to ‘just shut up’ if my damn car won’t start in the morning, or the speedometer and tachometer won’t operate. And if I go to the dealer and they tell me ‘you just don’t have any idea of the inner workings of the code,’ I’m going to be pissed as a nest of hornets — and justifiably so.

Every time one of the savants posting here rubs our noses in the fact their system ‘works just fine, so what’s wrong with you’ or starts spouting mysterious acronyms or chastises other users for speaking in the vernacular and using terminology a software developer or coder would not use — sorry, chums, that definitely is ‘belittling those who are having genuine issues.’

@jgatie: At least 99 out of 100 of us never signed up to ‘learn the inner workings of the code’ when we bought into the Sonos universe. We bought a consumer product that promised — and for quite some time delivered — ease of use and an enjoyable listening experience.

I didn’t sign up for BMW factory mechanic’s training when I bought my car either; and I have no clue what really goes on under that hood, particularly now that virtually everything the car does, from fuel mixture to valve timing to throttle response to braking to dashboard displays is controlled by numerous microchips. That doesn’t mean I have to ‘just shut up’ if my damn car won’t start in the morning, or the speedometer and tachometer won’t operate. And if I go to the dealer and they tell me ‘you just don’t have any idea of the inner workings of the code,’ I’m going to be pissed as a nest of hornets — and justifiably so.

Every time one of the savants posting here rubs our noses in the fact their system ‘works just fine, so what’s wrong with you’ or starts spouting mysterious acronyms or chastises other users for speaking in the vernacular and using terminology a software developer or coder would not use — sorry, chums, that definitely is ‘belittling those who are having genuine issues.’

I didn’t say you did. Or should.  Or even could.  I just said that making definitive statements about what is a bug and what is in need of a software fix without that knowledge is silly.  

And I haven’t rubbed your nose in anything.  The fact you feel that way is your own doing.  Stop being so defensive; for whatever reason your system isn’t working; your anger is justified, your complaints are warranted, and your problems are real.  Anything I or anybody else says about their system working isn’t taking anything away from that, unless you let it. 

I also find it highly ironic that you would chastise me for insisting on the correct usage of words when a few days ago you were parsing the statement “edit playlists” as if it were language in a Supreme Court ruling.

I wish there was a better button than just ‘like’. An excellently worded response and much appreciated, thank you.

Nobody is belittling anyone.  However, when one definitively calls something a “bug which requires a software fix” without having any idea of the inner workings of the code, I’m going to push back with facts.  As to the bolded, search for local libraries has been back since 7/22, and the ability to play different music in different rooms never went away.

So take a few minutes and learn the new way to switch rooms and what you are playing in each room.  The room at the bottom of the app is the default or “Now Playing” room.  Anything you choose from the sources above the Now Playing room will play in that default room.  To play music in another room, you need to swipe up on the default room to get to the room selection screen.  Tap on a new room (not on the grouping icon) to make it the new default.  Then choose your source to play in that room. 

Simply by stating “without having any idea of the inner workings of the code” is at best patronising, and could be construed as belittling. Your Sonos system is obviously working as you want it to. However I would refer you to google reviews, Reddit, facebook etc for reviews from people who have bought into Sonos and the product does not in its present state function as it should (ie play music from the users chosen source). There would not be such a global outcry and pleas for help if the app worked and was user friendly, I’m sure most people have better things to do.

@jgatie: I’m through quibbling with you. You insult my intelligence and that of the vast majority of us, and then proclaim ‘the fact that you feel that way is your own doing’?

Get off your high horse; look in the mirror; read your frequent posts here. Then ask yourself, ‘am I kicking these folks while they’re on the ground’?

You are. And don’t tell me ‘the fact that you feel that way is your own doing.’ That’s balderdash.

Hi all,

Looking in, I think this thread has run it's course and it has gone a bit off the rails, so it will be closed from further replies. 

While this thread will be closed, feel free to engage with each other in other topics. If you’re having issues with your system that don’t have an existing thread or want to leave feedback then you could make a new thread with the intent of feedback or assistance. You can also reply in existing threads, such as the one linked below, with both feedback and troubleshooting questions:

We appreciate all the feedback we get regarding the app and other users stepping into help but we’d like everyone to stay courteous and on-topic.