Sonos Update not Working on my Mac

Userlevel 1

The Sonos app on my iMac tells me it has found an update. I go through the process and it says “Sonos Update failed. An unexpected error occurred, please try again”.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app and it still tells me there is an update and then takes me down this endless loop.

24 replies

Would you be so kind as to tell us which MacOS version your iMac is running, and which Sonos app version? 

It’s also possible that the ‘update’ that fails is the update of your speakers, and not the controller, so it might be useful to tell us which Sonos speakers you have. In fact, there would likely be a lot of value in you submitting a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and calling.  Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

I’ve had the same problem for every update. I end up having to delete the app and just install it manually. It never wants to updated on it’s own. After I verify my user credentials it always says, “And Error Occurred. Try again”

Apple changed the way that they allow software to “self update”in a recent release (say the last 6 months?). There’s a few threads around where there’s suggestions about changing file permissions on one of the files that Sonos uses, but I don’t have this problem, so I’m not 100% sure what that file name is. I’d just look for “Mac Update” and see what either the forum software returns, or better yet, what Google returns for this forum.

When I update, I just choose the “check for updates” feature on the controller, and it works for me. Running S2, and Ventura 13.2.1

I have this problem too, in spite of uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Sonos, can you please look into this?

Userlevel 2

Hi! Try checking and authorize the “Sonos Installer” under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management. Let me know if this works!

Userlevel 2

This should work if you're currently on Mac OS Ventura. Otherwise you need to uninstall the app then reinstall the latest version in this link: https://support.sonos.com/en/downloads

Hi! Try checking and authorize the “Sonos Installer” under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management. Let me know if this works!

That worked for me. 

However, how come e.g. Chrome can update itself without this permission?

Please Sonos.

Userlevel 2

I see it as a restriction of sort by Mac devices or  part of their device setting or security.

Thanks Albugi, I authorised the Sonos Installer but still had the same problem, so installed the Mac OS app from your link and it’s now working perfectly!

“Albugii”, sorry!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Worked for me.  Thanks!

This worked for me too today 08/26/2023 on Mac OS Ventura 13.4.1 for S2. There are two switches, one for “Sonos” which was on and one for “Sonos Installer” which was off. When I enabled that then the update through the S2 app succeeded. Thanks albugii!!

Userlevel 1

It works! Thank you so much! Sonos really should update the error message that happens when this permission isn’t set, so they provide the solution to us without going for a web search. But I’m thankful to finally have this working.

I am having this problems well. I am running MacOS Ventura 13.4.1. I managed to add Sonos to the “App Management” as described above. I was unable to find a separate Sonos INSTALLER on my Mac in order to add it. What should I do next? Delete the app and reinstall?

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

I am having this problems well. I am running MacOS Ventura 13.4.1. I managed to add Sonos to the “App Management” as described above. I was unable to find a separate Sonos INSTALLER on my Mac in order to add it. What should I do next? Delete the app and reinstall?

Thanks!

If you delete the Sonos app and reinstall by downloading from Sonos, you’ll be on the latest version so yes that works. But the next time Sonos pushes an app update, and you try to update within the Sonos app, you’ll likely see the same update error again. To avoid having to delete & reinstall the Sonos app every time, you need to adjust that App Management setting on the Sonos Installer.

In my case, I had just used the update function of the Sonos app, which had the failure as described at the start of this thread. When I went to App Management section of the Mac Settings, “Sonos Installer” was already listed there, I didn’t have to do anything to add it. I just had to toggle the switch on that gave it the right permissions. The “Sonos” app itself was not listed in App Management on my Mac, nor is it now, and I don’t think it needs to be, because it’s the “Sonos Installer” app that needs special permissions to delete & reinstall the main app. If it’s not showing up automatically, I’m not sure how you find it, it must be downloaded to a hidden folder or something. Maybe try looking in App Management just after you’ve seen the update failure? Maybe you’ll see it at that time like I did, without having to manually add it. I dunno if that will work, just an idea.

9/4/2023, I’m having the same problem, Mac OS Ventura 13.5.1.  Same error as others report.  I give Sonos permissions in System Settings, and that doesn’t help.  I don’t see a Sonos Installer to give permission to.  I tried searching for it on my HD, both in the Finder and in the System Settings dialog, both before and after the install fails.  Very frustrating.

Userlevel 1

9/4/2023, I’m having the same problem, Mac OS Ventura 13.5.1.  Same error as others report.  I give Sonos permissions in System Settings, and that doesn’t help.  I don’t see a Sonos Installer to give permission to.  I tried searching for it on my HD, both in the Finder and in the System Settings dialog, both before and after the install fails.  Very frustrating.

It is so frustrating. As you discovered, giving permissions to the “Sonos” app won’t help, it’s the “Sonos Installer” that needs the extra permissions. If the Sonos Installer app isn’t showing in “App Management”, I’m not sure what to do. It’s likely temporarily downloaded when you’re attempting an update, and then automatically deleted afterwards. This is a long shot, but maybe look in App Management in the system settings while the Sonos app is attempting to update itself? Maybe the Installer will show up during that time.

Sonos really needs to fix this.

I had no problems updating until I updated my MAC with Sonoma`14.1.1.  Now I am in the same “endless loop” as previously described.  I already had authorized updates under the settings.  Have reinstalled ap, rebooted computer, etc.  No luck.  Very frustrating. 

Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

This isn’t a long term solution, but here’s some things I figured out while trying to get Sonos Installer into the System Preferences → Privacy & Secuirty → App Management listing.

1. Before you actually try this, I have an untested theory below this list that I’d recommend reading as well.
  2. When I got the “unexpected error” message, I right clicked on the Sonos icon in the dock (on hover it says Sonos Installer) , choose Options, and then Show in Finder.  Mine ended up being /private/var/folders/vy/dyhybbvj6bz67lfcvqgb3jyh0000gn/Sonos Installer.
  3. I didn’t bother internet searching, but I didn’t intuitively see how to get App Management to a hidden folder, so I made a copy of it and put it on my desktop (I should have made an alias)
  4. I used App Management to add that file on my desktop to the permitted apps.
  5. I ran the update again from the Sonos controller app, and it worked!
  6. For the sake of science, I deleted the file from my desktop.  Within a few minutes it did disappear from App Management, whoops.

My theory is if you instead of copy the Installer app, make an alias (aka a shortcut) to the file on the desktop, and then authorize that in App Management, it might be a more permanent solution.  I’ll get to test that out next update.

I have found a way to update that is easier than uninstalling and reinstalling or even searching for the elusive Sonos Updater that you need to add to the permissions list in System Settings > Privacy & Security. 

I use a utility called MacUpdater. (Not to be confused with the problematic MacUpdate service -- very different things!) It is free, with an upgrade you can buy that gives unlimited access to within-app updates and other functions

Being the suspicious and careful guy I am, I don’t usually update apps from within MacUpdater, but just use it to keep track of which apps are out of date. 

When I saw that I needed to update the Sonos Controller, I opened it and ran into the same annoying issue everyone else here has. Looking for a solution, I found this discussion. Rather than delete and re-install, I just said to mice elf, “Self, let’s just see if MacUpdater can install it.” Less than a minute later, it was done. I have opened the Sonos Controller and confirmed that is was updated and that it works.

MacUpdater is made by CoreCode.io. I am running version 1.15.17, but I see that there are newer version, up to Version 3. I will have to upgrade. 

I finally just downloaded the latest app from Sonos and overwrote my existing app with it, since assigning IP addresses to all my speakers and allowing the Sonos app under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management didn’t work. (I’m on Sonoma.) Once I updated the app, the Sonos Installer app appeared as an option under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management, so I toggled it on and I’m hoping future updates go more smoothly.

Hello Sonos,

The System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management setting change worked for me just fine, I’m on Sonoma 14.3.1 (latest as of today). Instead of “Failed with error” it would be helpful if you could change the update process to give us a hint about this setting rather than leaving everybody hanging, wasting time doing the reinstall.

I’ve been uninstalling and reinstalling for years without knowing about the App Management setting change.

Dave

This isn’t a long term solution, but here’s some things I figured out while trying to get Sonos Installer into the System Preferences → Privacy & Secuirty → App Management listing.

1. Before you actually try this, I have an untested theory below this list that I’d recommend reading as well.
  2. When I got the “unexpected error” message, I right clicked on the Sonos icon in the dock (on hover it says Sonos Installer) , choose Options, and then Show in Finder.  Mine ended up being /private/var/folders/vy/dyhybbvj6bz67lfcvqgb3jyh0000gn/Sonos Installer.
  3. I didn’t bother internet searching, but I didn’t intuitively see how to get App Management to a hidden folder, so I made a copy of it and put it on my desktop (I should have made an alias)
  4. I used App Management to add that file on my desktop to the permitted apps.
  5. I ran the update again from the Sonos controller app, and it worked!
  6. For the sake of science, I deleted the file from my desktop.  Within a few minutes it did disappear from App Management, whoops.

My theory is if you instead of copy the Installer app, make an alias (aka a shortcut) to the file on the desktop, and then authorize that in App Management, it might be a more permanent solution.  I’ll get to test that out next update.

This totally works, Thanks