Answered

Sonos stops playing Spotify commercials

Show first post

90 replies

Ditto with the problem viz I use the free Spotify and the  Sonos app to play through my Sonos wireless speakers. I have the Sonos app on my desktop computer, iPad & Apple iPhone 12. Recently (a few weeks now I guess) Sonos stopped at the very start of an ad break and could only be restarted by pausing then starting. A deal breaker!

So I looked for a way of playing Spotify through me Sonos speakers without using the Sonos app.

I have the Spotify app embedded in the Sonos app on my computer, iPad & iPhone. So that I usually play Spotify through the Sonos app. But I also have Spotify as a stand alone app on my iPad & iPhone so I can Bluetooth it through my Sonos Move speaker. So I needed to get the stand alone Spotify app on my desktop computer, that has my living room  Sonos speakers as a Sound output option

A work-around (that works on my Mac desktop system + Sonos speakers anyway) is:

I first of all  closed the Sonos app on my computer desktop. I then downloaded the Spotify app for Mac and placed it in the dock of my Mac desktop. I then opened the Spotify app from the dock of my Mac, signed into my Spotify account and selected one of my playlists and got the playlist to play through the computer’s speakers. I then went to System preferences/Sound/ and selected the sound output to be my living room (which are the Sonos speakers). I haven't had a cut since doing this. 

And of course I can play Spotify through my phone or iPad  which can then Bluetoothed to my Sonos Move speaker or the car’s sound system if I’m driving. 

Same issue for me. After struggling with it for weeks I searched for others who have the same problem and here I am. It's good to see it's not just me. Less good to see these companies can't communicate properly, seemingly not only between each other but also within themselves. Why does Spotify support ask for a user to start a thread on a forum to let the developers know there's an issue? Seems very badly run.

Having the same issue on android and iPad connecting to speakers from the Spotify apps and from initialising payback from the Sonos apps. Stops when stream switches to commercials / adverts. Toggling the stop / play button resumes the commercial and then stream continues to the next song.

Userlevel 1

I don’t know about the rest of you, but yesterday (May 30th) Spotify music service on Sonos started to play through commericals.  Maybe they fixed it?  Are others having the same experience?   

Edit: I posted too soon.  It just got stuck on a commerical again.

apparently everyone is having a different experience. I just contacted sonos support and they confirmed to me that is an issue with Sonos and they are aware of that but they don't have an ETA to resolve the problem. Also the Customer service told me that was seeing 3no. spotify accounts on my settings when I could see only one in my app.

So I re-signed up for Spotify premium and am no longer having issues. If it is a Spotify issue and this is their end goal , it worked and they are 9.99 a month richer. 

I think the problem is with Sonos. I am having the same issue while playing Spotify on Sonos but none of these problem when I play Spotify on any other devices like echo, earbuds, directly from the smartphone, web browser on my laptop or pc 

Having same issues while using Sonos. Not having any issues with Spotify in my car. 

I got mine working. 
Here’s what I did:

A new update came out so I updated Spotify 

Turned off data saver

Turned off low power mode

Restarted my iPhone and it now works on My Sonos system.

Not shure to understand, tried it, not working for me.

JYA

Having same issues while using Sonos. Not having any issues with Spotify in my car. 

I got mine working. 
Here’s what I did:

A new update came out so I updated Spotify 

Turned off data saver

Turned off low power mode

Restarted my iPhone and it now works on My Sonos system.

Userlevel 3

Is this a way for Spotify to make one pay Premium ????

I’ve asked them several times but they don’t respond to that 🤷🏻‍♀️

Userlevel 3

I have the same problem, at the request of spotify support I started a topic on spotify because this problem was not yet known to the developers. Could you also respond to this so that it is resolved faster?

I have been working with Spotify for over a month on this, back when I first posted here. I’ve done their chat on multiple days & have emailed with several of their customer support people. They are very aware of it. 

I have the same problem, at the request of spotify support I started a topic on spotify because this problem was not yet known to the developers. Could you also respond to this so that it is resolved faster?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Subscriptions/Sonos-stops-playing-Spotify-commercials/td-p/5584151

It might help if you were to post a link to that thread on Spotify, so people can add their concerns. I’m pretty sure Spotify does not maintain an official presence here on the Sonos Community Forums. 

Userlevel 2

Maybe... I have just switched Sonos to play Amazon Music for now.

Same problem so frustrating. 

Userlevel 2

What did Sonos support say when you submitted that diagnostic, and called in?

I just submitted the diagnostic, chatted in to Sonos support, there response is “We are investigating this issue, and do not currently have an ETA. The only workaround for the free Spotify account playback issue is to pause and then to start again.”

and

“I will flag your problem, my colleagues are investigating the problem and it should be resolved.”

I referenced this forum, so they can see that several people are having the same problem, similarly around the same time.

Hope this helps others to know that “it’s not just you!” and that they are supposedly working on a fix.

Userlevel 1

Not sure why the answer by Airgetlam was marked as the answer - if you read the rest of the thread, you can see that other contributors DID contact Sonos customer service, and they could not help us with that.  The best answer is that you have to contact Spotify and spend multiple hours of your life trying to figure it out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This morning the Sonos One played an advert when playing a playlist from Spotify( using Alexa voice to command ) first time it’s done this in a few weeks. The only thing I did yesterday was re log in on my iPhone to our router for other reasons like a Wi-Fi connect plug etc. Minefield to work back these issues. AI will sort it cos it’s got time. Humans don’t. 

Same problem here, on different systems, started about same time, have reinstalled everything multiple times and tried all kids of fixes, and it just keeps happening. Can't be my end, clearly a Sonos/Spotify issue.

Userlevel 1

Same here, which is how I found this thread.  My expeirence is if I am listening to Spotify on my iPhone, no issue, so the commerical pause/play seems to only happen when connected to Sonos. Today I noticed, when the commerical is playing on my iPhone, if you try to “select a device” to play it on, during the commerical, all of my speakers are grayed out and state “unavailable for listening on.”  To me it seems to be a Spotify issue, that when it goes to commerical, for some reason it is blocking the casting ability and gets hung-up, unless you do the pause/play solution.  Sounds like a bug to me.

Userlevel 3

I spent more time on the Spotify chat last week. The stop happened in their test account on my speakers, from both my iPhone app (which I deleted & redownloaded) & the browser on a ThinkPad. It didn’t happen using their test account in my iPhone app. Why do these two not communicate about this? Why am I spending hours trying to troubleshoot this for them? It’s really disappointing that this keeps happening. Don’t tell me about outside interference. We didn’t all have neighbors with new routers in the past two weeks. 🙄

Userlevel 3

I spent some time on chat with Spotify yesterday. Logged out of my phone, deleted & reinstalled the app, tried on a laptop. Same thing.