Skip to main content

I have a “Five” speaker that needs the S1 controller app - it was all working beautifully untill a recent update of Xigmanas to v13.3.

Play:5: Bedroom
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-5B-8C-7E:3
Sonos OS: S1
Version: 11.14 (build 572151190)
Hardware Version: 1.16.4.1-2.0
Series ID: P100
IP Address: 192.168.2.26
WM: 1
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-4-zp5s-0.5)

This included an upgrade to the latest version of Samba.

Samba have now dropped support for SMBv1 which is the cause of the problem :

Question asked on Xigmanas forum :-

What has changed between 13.2 and 13.3 ???

Samba is upgraded to 4.19.7 so it refuses SMBv1 connection attempts.
You'll either have to upgrade your Sonos device or keep your xigmanas at 13.2

Is there any chance of S1 being udated to use a higher version of Samba ????  Otherwise it renders my ”Five” useless as I must keep the NAS up to date.

Dave

Samba have now dropped support for SMBv1 which is the cause of the problem 

So has Sonos. Isn’t that also a cause of the problem?

No, S1 systems can ONLY use SMBv1. One of the first improvements of S2 over S1 was the addition of SMBv2 and v3 as it was running a newer kernel and lots more memory.

The OP already listed their possible options: older NAS software or newer Sonos version.

No, S1 systems can ONLY use SMBv1. One of the first improvements of S2 over S1 was the addition of SMBv2 and v3 as it was running a newer kernel and lots more memory.

The OP already listed their possible options: older NAS software or newer Sonos version.

Thanks for clarifying. Every day’s a school day!

You dont mean newer software since the S1 devices cannot run S2 - so it’s “older Nas” or newer “hardware” - something I am unlikely/able to do.

So the S1 device is headed to the bin.

Shame,
Dave

You can use an SMB gateway to provide V1 to your Sonos. That let's you run any protocol on your NAS while the gateway shares the data onwards in SMB V1. I did that using a Raspberry Pi but any computer that supports V1 will do..

I have a “Five” speaker that needs the S1 controller app - it was all working beautifully untill a recent update of Xigmanas to v13.3.

Play:5: Bedroom
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-5B-8C-7E:3
Sonos OS: S1
Version: 11.14 (build 572151190)
Hardware Version: 1.16.4.1-2.0
Series ID: P100
IP Address: 192.168.2.26
WM: 1
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-4-zp5s-0.5)

This included an upgrade to the latest version of Samba.

Samba have now dropped support for SMBv1 which is the cause of the problem :

Question asked on Xigmanas forum :-

What has changed between 13.2 and 13.3 ???

Samba is upgraded to 4.19.7 so it refuses SMBv1 connection attempts.
You'll either have to upgrade your Sonos device or keep your xigmanas at 13.2

Is there any chance of S1 being udated to use a higher version of Samba ????  Otherwise it renders my ”Five” useless as I must keep the NAS up to date.

Dave

The Samba team haven’t removed or dropped SMBv1 from samba yet.

The team have set smb.conf config defaults to be smbv2 as the minimum server protocol, but that can be changed to support NT1 (smbv1)

In release 4.17 the samba team added a configuration option to allow OEMs, Integrators and package maintainers to choose whether to load SMBv1 code in the samba server, but it is defaulted to load smbv1, so needs to be actively disabled.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Features_added/changed#Configure_without_the_SMB1_Server

Samba like other projects are aware how widespread the usage of their project is, so take caution and time. The have changed default config files and made loading smbv1 code a server option. Eventually I expect they will change the option so the default will be to not load the smbv1 code, before finally removing it in a few years.

Was the response from a xigmanas developer or a user?
In the services → smb advanced options configuration, the “Server Min. Protocol” is set to default, which is smbv2 when using a default samba install.

Edit the config and change that setting to NT1 (CIFS), save and apply and the server will support SMBv1 clients.

You dont mean newer software since the S1 devices cannot run S2 - so it’s “older Nas” or newer “hardware” - something I am unlikely/able to do.

So the S1 device is headed to the bin.

Shame,
Dave

Once my post goes through moderation, you should be able to just change the smb settings in xigmanas 13.3 like shown in the screenshots, smbv1 hasn’t been dropped/removed by samba it just defaults to v2.

@Softfoot It’s going to look like I’m a bit loopy and talking to myself, but I don’t know how quickly my more detailed post will take to be moderated. I’m guessing using a different device to usual and attaching images likely triggered something.

The relevant setting you need to change via the Xigmanas 13.3 web interface is on the

Services → SMB → Settings page.

Scroll down to the Advanced settings section and find the

Server Min. Protocol setting. Change it to be NT1(CIFS) instead of default which is the samba internal name for SMBv1.

Save the setting and apply it to restart the SMB service. That enables SMBv1 support.

Nice idea but the NAS SMB is already set to that - it has no effect for Xigmanas 13.3.

Dave

I have RPi sitting here doing nothing so I’ll have a go at SMB Gateway

Thanks for the clue guys :-)

Dave

I did a set of gateway instructions here

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Nice idea but the NAS SMB is already set to that - it has no effect for Xigmanas 13.3.

Dave

I have RPi sitting here doing nothing so I’ll have a go at SMB Gateway

Thanks for the clue guys :-)

Dave

I’ll risk the wait for moderation again, but that is odd and is the only change I made to connect from my laptop to server. All the other settings on that page are just clean install defaults. 🤷🏼

If I then set Server Min. Protocol back to default I get a no SMB1 error as expected because the default is v2

Hope you have better luck with SMB Gateway.