Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Radio keeps suggesting German channels and plays German commercials

• 17 January 2024
  • 8 replies

I live in Norway, I would like Norwegian local radio channels, Norwegian seasonal music. The only positive thing about it is that the commercials are in a language I don’t understand.
A wild guess would be that it’s because my internet provider is Starlink, and their satellite based system places the IP in Germany instead of Norway. Is there a solution for this? That does not involve me having to use VPN to Norway whilst being in Norway?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@gauron 

Another thing you can check is the location set to your Sonos account. Login to your account and take a look there. 

@gauron

Another thing you can check is the location set to your Sonos account. Login to your account and take a look there. 

I wish it was that easy. :)

Språk = Language

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@gauron

I wish it was that easy. :)

Språk = Language

Not language… look at your address. Is the country set correctly?

If so, it really might be a reason of the provider ip. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Scroll down more, there are more data fields.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/myaccount/user/profile

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@gauron 

Ok… so at this point everything seems to be fine. I guess the ip could be the reason. 
Try to ask your provider if there’s a way of setting ip location correctly. 

@gauron

Ok… so at this point everything seems to be fine. I guess the ip could be the reason. 
Try to ask your provider if there’s a way of setting ip location correctly. 

I tried filling in the blank fields for now. Will have to see if it’s still behaves incorrectly. But it does work correctly with other streaming services (such as Netflix, HBO Nordic, etc), so I assume it’s a technology limitation somewhere.

It is odd, but each ‘company’ handles location a bit differently, too. Some work off of the data sent by Sonos, some work off of IP address ‘location’, I’m sure there are other methods of geo-location too. Your challenge is to figure out which one is in use, if you can (slight reference to the Mission Impossible phrase / intro, if you’re familiar with it)