Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos ios app doesn't stay open

• 28 June 2023
  • 5 replies

I find it kind of annoying that the Sonos ios app (using on an iPhone 12, latest update) won’t stay open -- that if you haven’t used it in a bit, it will act as if it’s been closed, causing it to re-find and refresh all of the zones. Does anybody else have this issue? Is there a setting I can change to have it stay open in the background? I have the background refresh turned on in the app settings… couldn’t find anything else that might indicate a setting that could be changed.

All Apps on the iPhone stay active in the background unless you swipe up from the bottom of the iPhone to reveal all running apps and then close them by pushing up the specific app. I don’t have the issue you are speaking of and I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Are you saying the app closes and you have to go to the Home Screen and re-open it? 

Yeah, it acts like it’s been closed, but I have not closed it. Logo screen comes up and all the zones have to refresh. 

Sounds like you may be running out of storage space on your iPhone and it’s closing the open app. Check your storage: Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Other possibilities/solutions are discussed in this link

Huh! That might be it! I was seriously close to full; offloaded a bunch of stuff and it seems to be staying up in the background. Thanks! Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem...

@Wheatabixandsing

Glad the app is staying open. One more thing that may help with storage if you aren’t already doing so.

Sign up for iCloud storage. You can get 50GB for 99 cents plus tax per month (USD). You can get more storage if you desire.

The advantage to use iCloud storage is that you can back up everything on your phone and in case of a data loss restore the entire system. Also the backups occur automatically when your phone is locked and connected to WiFi or you can allow backup over cellular.

The other plus is photos which can consume big chunks of storage. If you already have iCloud storage go to Settings > Click on your name > iCloud > Photos > Sync This Phone > Optimize Photos.

Your photos will still be visible on your phone but the majority of the MB’s will be stored in iCloud. Think 1MB photo with 500KB “thumbnail” on your phone and Full 1MB in iCloud. You can download the full resolution photo to computer or thumb drive to print

You can also back up your phone to a computer if you don’t want to pay for storage?