Answered

Sonos Favorites: Requested operation failed. Please try again

• 30 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi, I have a lot of Amazon Music stations saved to my Sonos Favorites, which is my to-go place to stream music at home. Eventually, when I choose one of stations I get this error message: “Requested Operation Failed Please try again” and the station won't play. It's completely random, occurs once every week / bi-week / month and affects one or a few more stations each time.

There's a workaround for that: I have to remove the station from the Favorites, search for it again and add the station to My Sonos. But it shouldn't be like that, I'm getting tired of that and I believe it should be fixed.

I guess Amazon randomly changes the links to some of their stations and then my Sonos Favorites keeps this broken link. If this is the case, could someone from Sonos escalate the issue and have someone ask Amazon Music to stop doing that, please?

If internally you have access to my Sonos Favorites, there's one station there currently with this issue. I'll keep it there like that so you can have a look at it. Amazon Music station: Endless Vibes. I've submitted diag: 812822620.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 February 2023, 11:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

Thanks for your post!

I don’t think Amazon are changing the URLs for their stations on a semi-regular basis.

Please switch your router off for at least 30 seconds. I recommend you do this 6-12 times a year, regardless of experiencing any issues. Test afterwards - you should find your stations will play without needing to search again.

It may also help to try configuring another DNS server in your router’s Network/DHCP settings - try Google’s 8.8.8.8.

Finally, please keep any WiFi devices at least 1m away from both the router and the Beam - this includes each other, and other speakers. Obviously the TV is going to be near the Beam, but please try to keep the other nearby WiFi devices to a minimum.

While on the subject (but it’s not the cause of the issue you report), it looks like the surround speakers are having trouble talking to the Beam, despite having a strong signal. The Beam is having no trouble talking to the Play:1 in the other room, however, so this leads me to believe there’s a source of 5GHz WiFi in the room with the Beam.

This help page may be of assistance: Reducing wireless interference

I don’t have access to your favourites.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Corry P, thanks for having a look into this. I'd like to separate this into two issues then:

1) I still think Amazon changes their stations’ URLs. If not, how could this be explained?

Duplicate station on Recently Played

The one from the right is from My Sonos / Stations and returned the error. The one from the left is from the Sonos Search and plays fine every time. Is there a way I could retrieve internally the URLs for both of them and share with you?

2) As for the surrounds having difficulties talking to the Beam, I haven't experienced any issues with that, but I would like to have a look at it.

I was checking if I am having any interference from my neighbors or from my own Wi-FI and I found out the channel the Beam is using for the surrounds is 5580 - 116, which is DFS. I live relatively close to an airport and planes are constantly flying over when landing. Could this be the issue? Is there a way I could set a different channel?

contents of /proc/ath_rincon/status
Debug info for INFRA mode at 19040651

Mode: INFRA (sonosnet)
Operating on channel 2437
Home channel is 2437
HT Channel is 5580
HT AP mode: on

Thanks,

Marcos

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

1) I still think Amazon changes their stations’ URLs. If not, how could this be explained?

The one from the right is from My Sonos / Stations and returned the error. The one from the left is from the Sonos Search and plays fine every time. Is there a way I could retrieve internally the URLs for both of them and share with you?

Hmmm. That is tricky to explain. I’m not saying they don’t ever change them, just that it seems unlikely they would do so repeatedly.

Please play (or attempt to) each one, then submit a support diagnostic and report here with the number given and the name of the room you tested in, and I’ll take a look tomorrow (it’s nearly 5pm here). Please also let me know what you search for or where you go in the app to find it - I tried searching for “endless vibes” under Stations and didn’t get any results matching your screenshot.

2) As for the surrounds having difficulties talking to the Beam, I haven't experienced any issues with that, but I would like to have a look at it.

I was checking if I am having any interference from my neighbors or from my own Wi-FI and I found out the channel the Beam is using for the surrounds is 5580 - 116, which is DFS. I live relatively close to an airport and planes are constantly flying over when landing. Could this be the issue? Is there a way I could set a different channel?

Unless your home is literally at the end of the runway, I don’t think so. Even then, it would be a bit of a stretch. I haven’t heard of anything producing significant WiFi interference at more than, say, 30 feet, and if a plane could interfere with your WiFi, then your WiFi could likely interfere with the plane - not something they’d allow, I think.

You can’t choose/change the 5GHz channel used - the Home Theatre device does so based on past transmission performance. If you don’t notice any issues, I wouldn’t worry too much about it as the number of errors was not excessive - I only mentioned it because the 2.4GHz RSSI (signal strength) between them (the connection is mostly unused, but exists to keep power usage down when not playing) was relatively high and I thought the surrounds might be a source of interference. If you had come back and told me you had your Beam and surrounds all in a row under the TV, you would not have been the first!

I look forward to hearing back from you and figuring this out.

I have this issue. I was listening to one of my playlists and it suddenly stopped playing the tracks. Tried different albums with no luck. Sonos will play music on my phone and from other services, but not Amazon Music. The music app plays fine outside of Sonos. No wifi interruptions, no new items that could interfere, reinstalled both Amazon Music account and Sonos app itself. No joy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Peelap 

Thank you - there have been a few reports of this in the last few minutes. Please keep an eye on https://status.sonos.com for updates.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Corry P, sorry I was quite busy and I wasn't able to reply before.

1) Amazon changing stations’ URLs:

My favorites is filled with stations from Amazon. I've just gone thru one by one and 5 out of 63 stations have their URLs changed in the last 2 weeks. I know that because around two weeks ago I did the same and replaced the ones that weren't working with the new URLs (deleted station from Favorites, searched for it again, added to Favorites again). So, Amazon does change the URLs quite often.

Diag: 671807475 - Playing from Main Bedroom - Sonos Play:1

I search for the stations like that:

​​​​​​​2) Surrounds having difficulties talking to Beam

As for the DFS channels, I don't mean interference from the airplanes, but from the airport radar and weather radar, which can drop these channels from being used by Wi-Fi devices like the Beam and the surrounds. But, I agree with you and I believe this is not the case here.

I have one mesh node on the same TV stand as the Beam, but using a different channel 149-161 (80MHz) than the Beam on HT AP mode. I also have the main router and another mesh node all using these same channels in other floors of the house. I can't think of any other 5G radio around, except for my neighbors. As the number of errors is not excessive, I guess we don't need to worry much about this, as you mentioned.

Thanks

Hi @Peelap 

Thank you - there have been a few reports of this in the last few minutes. Please keep an eye on https://status.sonos.com for updates.

Phew. Thought it was me! It sorted itself out after about 2 hours...glad I had my favourite music on my phone to keep me going...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

My favorites is filled with stations from Amazon. I've just gone thru one by one and 5 out of 63 stations have their URLs changed in the last 2 weeks. I know that because around two weeks ago I did the same and replaced the ones that weren't working with the new URLs (deleted station from Favorites, searched for it again, added to Favorites again). So, Amazon does change the URLs quite often.

Diag: 671807475 - Playing from Main Bedroom - Sonos Play:1

The links are indeed different URLs and that is surprising - I admit that I was making an assumption, but I really thought it was a safe assumption to make. I guess you will only get an explanation for this from Amazon - I have no idea why they’d do this.

The picture shows the exact method I initially used in trying to find that station - I still get no results from Amazon at all for “endless vibes”. I presume it is location-restricted - my colleague in Europe can find it.

2) Surrounds having difficulties talking to Beam

As for the DFS channels, I don't mean interference from the airplanes, but from the airport radar and weather radar, which can drop these channels from being used by Wi-Fi devices like the Beam and the surrounds. But, I agree with you and I believe this is not the case here.

I have one mesh node on the same TV stand as the Beam, but using a different channel 149-161 (80MHz) than the Beam on HT AP mode. I also have the main router and another mesh node all using these same channels in other floors of the house. I can't think of any other 5G radio around, except for my neighbors. As the number of errors is not excessive, I guess we don't need to worry much about this, as you mentioned.

Thanks

Ah - I see. I suppose it’s not impossible, but as far as I am aware, the reason private citizens are only allowed to broadcast on certain frequencies is so that such interference with critical systems can be avoided.

Yes - if you don’t notice any issues, the system is obviously coping. I do recommend you give your Play:1 a reboot however - it’s cloud connection has a fair amount of latency and a reboot should clear that up. It’s also currently responsible for providing your app with the information you see there.

I hope this helps.