Answered

Sonos Desktop App and Atmos Music

• 31 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I just downloaded the Sonos Windows App an I find it so much better to use

If I use the desktop app will it play Dolby Atmos through my Arc like it does with the IOS app?

Ta

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 31 January 2024, 20:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The Sonos controller Apps are not players, they are a ‘remote’ for playback/control of your Sonos system, so the answer is Yes, but note the Desktop App development was ‘parked’ a long time ago, so it does not have some features, like system administration, which you will only find on the mobile controller Apps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

The Sonos controller Apps are not players, they are a ‘remote’ for playback/control of your Sonos system, so the answer is Yes, but note the Desktop App development was ‘parked’ a long time ago, so it does not have some features, like system administration, which you will only find on the mobile controller Apps.

Thanks for this Ken. I work from home and get quite busy and like to have some music in the background. My use of this desktop version is that it allows me to quickly mute the music whilst I take call. I found with the iphone app, by the time you turn your phone on, find the app and then open it, go to the music selection to pause it, it just takes too long whereas with the desktop app I simply click on my taskbar and up it pops and then I click pause. So just two key strokes. Very easy

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Note that due to the Desktop apps being feature frozen you won’t see the music being tagged as “Atmos” (or “HD” or “HD Ultra”).

If you want to, try my Windows app (see profile) which does show the stream type and bitrate.

Phonos Universal