Skip to main content

Sonos/Deezer - how to disable Hifi/FLAC

• 17 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a setup at home with multiple Sonos One speakers and another Roam in a separate system/location. Bot systems are mainly used with Deezer. 

At home with a solid internet connection everything works perfectly. My Roam is in a location with solid wifi but a relatively slow internet connection (<5 MBit/s). Using Sonos Radio or TuneIn works flawlessly. However, Deezer tries to stream uncompressed Hifi audio and due to the slow connection constantly aborts play. 

When I use Deezer on my phone in that location and stream to Sonos Roam via Bluetooth, the Deezer app on the phone automatically moves down to compressed audio at a lower bitrate, but Deezer on Sonos does not do that. 

Is there a reliable way to manually force Deezer on the Roam to play compressed audio?

I’d say all non HD audio you receive from streaming services is compressed, but you might want to push Deezer to use a lower bit rate?

All I can suggest is to swap music service to one without CD quality, such as Spotify or the lower tier of Tidal. I don’t think there is a way to get Deezer (when subscribed) to play the lower bitrate service that the free tier has.

I’d say all non HD audio you receive from streaming services is compressed, but you might want to push Deezer to use a lower bit rate?

That is correct. I was using the word compressed to indicate “non-Hifi” audio quality. The problem is that Deezer on Sonos choses to stream at a bitrate above network bandwidth and does not fall back to a lower bit rate (as it does on the iPhone app).