Answered

Sonos controller not working after moving music files

• 30 May 2023
  • 4 replies

I recently changed the location of my music files on my PC (Windows 10) to free up space on my C drive.

iTunes is working fine, having recognized the new location of the files, and repopulated the playlists etc from new folder.

The sonos app, however, refuses to see the files in their new location, despite deleting app, resetting app, reinstalling app, deleting music folders (under music library settings) and adding them again.

I don't understand why when I ask app to update music libraries (which includes the iTunes playlists which iTunes has found in their new location), that sonos says that the files can not be found, or duplicates playlists without either the original or duplicate actually working.

And why, even when I reset app, delete it, reinstall it, it still has a memory of old music libraries that no longer exist?

Has anyone had success in shifting the location of their files and then getting Sonos to continue to work again?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 May 2023, 13:52

View original

4 replies

The data is stored at the speaker level, not the controller level. You may have told iTunes where the new files are, but you still need to change the pointers in the Sonos app. Take a look at the FAQ, and re-set up your pointers in Sonos. 

Thanks. I’ll read through that and give it a go!

Thanks Airgetlam, I went to the FAQ link above and it just says to do the things I have already tried (as outline in original post). Any further ideas?

Odd. That should have worked, unless Sonos is picking up some older iTunes files that are no longer ‘valid’. 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of recreating this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.