Answered

Sonos controller for Mac failing to update with Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1

• 31 March 2023
  • 47 replies

Userlevel 3

After updating to Ventura 13.2.1, the Sonos Controller Application tries to update, but fails repeatedly. Is this a known issue? If so, what is the solution?

icon

Best answer by LordAttilas 31 March 2023, 22:20

View original

47 replies

Odd, I didn’t have any trouble at all with my system after updating to Ventura 13.2.1.

Are you using the S1 or S2 app?

There’s no reason not to delete the app completely, then download a fresh copy from the Sonos website, and install it. Just be sure to “connect to existing system” when prompted, all of your data is actually stored on the speakers, not on the controller app.

Userlevel 3

I had the same issue for some time in MacOs. Yesterday I found that you need to authorize the “Sonos Installer” under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management. Once I allowed it I was able to use the auto update from the Sonos app itself.

Previously I was uninstalling and installing the new one from the website.

I had the same issue for some time in MacOs. Yesterday I found that you need to authorize the “Sonos Installer” under System Settings → Privacy & Security → App Management. Once I allowed it I was able to use the auto update from the Sonos app itself.

Thank you so much! I had the same issue and was desperate to understand reason for the application update to repeatedly fail! Now, this is perfectly working!

Did not work for me.

Running Sonos S2 v14.18 and macbook pro M1 w. ventura v 13.2.1.

Still, glad it helped others...any ideas would be welcome. 

...dang, sorry all. Apple auto install failed to notify me of 13.3 avail. Installing now, will try again.

Userlevel 3

In case it doesn work you might need to uninstall manually and install the latest from web site. Then the next update that fail you might need to authorise the “Sonor Installer” like mentionned before. I suspect that update method had to be changed by Sonos to cope with new security feature in MacOs at some point. If you upgrade MacOS before Sonos App it might have get you in this position of the old Sonos update no trying to request authorization.

Badge

I also have this problem Macos Ventura 13.0.1 

I just had to re-download and replace the app for this third or fourth update? I gave up on Sonos after dealing with this issue a few times without any reasonable reason as to why a simple update wouldn’t install, (or why there wasn't a direct link to the downloads page from the error message).  Now I just use the 4 Sonos  I have in my warehouse, and all Apple elsewhere. I just found this answer, so if this system setting change actually works (which I won’t know until the next update notice) maybe I’ll rethink it, but we’ll see - seems like a problem that shouldn't exist to begin with.

did all this

still fails!

😡

Badge

I am SO TIRED of updating problems with Sonos S1 app on my Mac. Once again I have had difficulties ‘reauthorising’ Sonos, and yes, it was already authorised under Privacy & Security.

I have found a workaround: I went to my iPhone, followed the instructions  and Sonos was immediately reauthorised.  It now works again on iPhone and Mac. (I manage my huge Apple Music Library on my Mac, where the Sonos interface is more manageable for finding and listening to an item than on my iPhone (a classical music fan, I keep my music in folders and subfolders - composer>category, eg chamber, when extensive works>item.)

Is the MacOS system really too difficult for Sonos engineers to allow seamless updating?  If so, they should say it is compatible with Windows, Android and iOS but not Mac.

No complaints about the sound on my Sonos speakers, just the cludgy interface and updating management.

This finally solved my problem!

Having the same problems as everyone else. On Ventura 13.4.1 myself.

I do not have a “Sonos Installer” anywhere on my computer to authorize! Just the Sonos app. Tried authorizing that to ses if it did it. Nope. Failing to update.

Very frustrated. Will try deleting the app and redownloading it.

Userlevel 7

Having the same problems as everyone else. On Ventura 13.4.1 myself.

I do not have a “Sonos Installer” anywhere on my computer

Yes you do.  Follow the instructions in the answer given by @LordAttilas. You may have to “add” Sonos after to re-download the app.

Thank you. What I did - and it worked, was just to delete the Sonos app, and re-install it. All good now (the proof will be the next time it needs to update). Will re-read the instructions… 

After updating to Ventura 13.2.1, the Sonos Controller Application tries to update, but fails repeatedly. Is this a known issue? If so, what is the solution?

Thanks for this advice. I’ve been having this issue before and always had to delete Sonos app and install it again. 👍

I have tried, but seem to fail at possibly the last hurdle.

There is nothing in the App Management area to approve or whatever.

and I don’t see how I could insert it.

Thank you. What I did - and it worked, was just to delete the Sonos app, and re-install it. All good now (the proof will be the next time it needs to update). Will re-read the instructions… 

problem with this I’m worried that I may not manage to reinstall.

my sonos is linked to an old email tenuously, and I fear they’d ask me eg to approve through email (bt) which I no longer have, due to issues with BT etc.

I have tried, but seem to fail at possibly the last hurdle.

There is nothing in the App Management area to approve or whatever.

and I don’t see how I could insert it.

mm, found the Sonos app to add to the list.

but still not working.

ideas? I’m fearful of clicking Uninstall in case I fail to get it back eg with my playlists etc.

hurray - cracked it - bravely uninstalled, then took a while to figure out how to reinstall - now it says no more updates, plus has my music.

hurray

and thank you

www.sonos.com/support/downloads

this is the link it took me a moment to find.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

My Mac running Ventura did the same thing: refused to function until an update and then got errror every time I tried to update.  Even after a restart.  I had to delete the application and redownload a fresh version and it works fine now.

I RARELY find resolves here...but THIS was mint! LordAttilas BLESS.  Your resolve fixed my issue.

Sonos doesn’t care their MacOS app is a mess. Don’t bother trying to update, just assume you have to re-install every time. Bookmark this page - https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Fantastic!! Thank you LordAttilas!! I was doing the same thing too. You are my hero! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello - I just finished setting up my new iMac and had this issue while trying to update. It took me awhile to get my Sonos up and running to my new iMac so I am worried about uninstalling and reinstalling app. I enabled Sonos in “App Management” but I still get error when updating.  My concern is that my iTunes library is connected on external hard drive and I had to enable file sharing for several Sonos files like smdb, Sonos and SonosLibraryServer. Can anyone confirm if I will have to set this all up again if I install Sonos app again? Thanks

The ‘app’ install should handle all of that for you.