Answered

Sonos Connect can no longer play music after Synology SMB update

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My Sonos Connect can no longer play any music following an update to the SMB package on my Synology drive.

I’ve followed the guides about setting up the appropriate SMB1 access allowing NTLM access, but when I try and connect, I just get “access denied” even though my S2 products are pointed at the same share.

The NAS logs show the S1 product connecting but the Sonos app is throwing the error.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a solution?

icon

Best answer by DuncanF 30 April 2023, 10:59

View original

96 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo -i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Moderator edit: added space to “sudo -i”

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m not sure whether this is an option on Synology drives, but instead of downgrading one could add “unix extensions = no” to the smb.conf file. Samba 4.15 includes a security change that makes this addition needed for some devices (old Linux Kernels). 

I’m not sure whether this is an option on Synology drives, but instead of downgrading one could add “unix extensions = no” to the smb.conf file. Samba 4.15 includes a security change that makes this addition needed for some devices (old Linux Kernels). 

Just to add to this thread. My Synology is running v7.2 and it would not allow me to install the downgraded v4.10 it insisted that v4.15 was the minimum allowed, But the quoted solution appears to have worked with the edit in the config file.

Thanks to all in the community who are so active providing answers to those of us who only come when there is a problem.

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo -i
synopkg stop SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Moderator edit: added space to “sudo -i”

Great works perfectly, many thanks !

This is the 3rd or 4th time that I have to search a solution to make Synology and Sonos give the service that worked before upgrade, once again the problem is on Synology side, too bad !

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It should be the x86 option from here.

Or just change the smb.conf file and stay on the latest version.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

After a lengthy call to Sonos support, the conclusion was that everything is working correctly at the Sonos layer and have been asked to contact Synology.  

I’ve raised a ticket with Synology and I’m awaiting their response. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Access Denied” is an Error Message that can apply to several different access problems, including this SMB issue.

If you successfully rolled back to the earlier SMB Version and still get the “Access Denied” like I did, try setting up a new dedicated user… named e.g. “Sonos” (instead of guest) with a new dedicated Password for your Music Folder.  Setting up a new user for a folder is one I found regarding a different problem on another site.

This worked for me after Synology was kind enough to do the rollback.… after all other attempts doing diagnostics failed after I logged the problem in Support. They will notify the DEV’s about the issue, but realistically they will need to see many complaints logged before the Red Flag to correct the issue is raised. He also mentioned that this SMB issue may not be a BUG, but a Security change.

Badge +2

Just wanted to say that this solution also worked like a charm for me. I myself couldn’t apply it, as I don’t understand a thing about it, but I had someone do that modification to my Synology NAS. Many thanks!

Perhaps it’s not entirely clear. You need to access the NAS’ unix operating system directly using a terminal emulator (e.g. PuTTY) on your Windows PC in order to “stop” and then “uninstall” the SMB Service. You can’t do this from the normal NAS login to DSM.

This direct connection (to the NAS) is referred to as “SSH” (secure shell) or sometimes “using SSH-in”. The Sudo -i command might appear a bit cryptic but this is giving you root access (hence the warnings and requirement to re-enter your password etc).

It’s all OK as long as you follow the commands exactly as DuncanF shows above.

The two commands to “stop” and “uninstall” took quite a while to execute (on my low-performance DS216se) but you should eventually see a lot of gobbledegook including a confirmation of sucess after each command!

When you have completed the two steps to “stop” and then “uninstall” the SMB service, use the command “exit” to leave the terminal emulator.

Now when you log back in to your NAS in the usual way, the SMB service will have gone so you must then re-install it from Package Centre. The point is you must use the “manual install” option to install the older SMB Service that you downloaded NOT the default one which is the recent update that caused all the problems for Sonos S1 users.

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, just trying to help out.

Badge +4

Hello,

i coulnd´t install the x86 file - error - this package isn't supported or compatible!?! any ideas - restarting the disk station doesn't help. DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 

Use @sjw solution, no need to downgrade SMB software, just a minor change to file. Worked great for me! See post a few up with link. 

Outburst’s solution to add “unix extensions=no” to /etc/samba/smb.conf on the Synology NAS worked like a charm for me. Remember to “sudo synopkg restart SMBService” to put the change into effect.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I raised a support ticket with Synology and after several emails with support here is their response to this issue:

After investigating the issue, we have found that the problem is caused by the default server response of Samba v.4.15 to a specific client command (SET_FS_INFO) sent by the Sonos S1 device. Synology has followed the specification from Samba and has not implemented a proprietary solution, meaning that any SMB server that uses open-source Samba version 4.15 may encounter this same issue.

By adding unix extensions=no as a default option in the Samba configuration file would make the NAS less secure and therefore is not a viable solution. We fully understand that updating to SONOS S2 is not financially viable for many users, and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. However, we would like to assure you that we take security very seriously, and therefore cannot sacrifice security for backward compatibility.

So it appears the only solution is either staying or downgrading to a previous version of SMB on Synology or modifying the SMBService config file as described previously.

I, too, had a cause-and-effect experience today after updating my Synology NAS to the last version of DSM.  And so I spent hours on this, blowing my entire Saturday.  And now it’s fixed, but I can’t be 100% certain why.  I will share this:

• I had basically given up and started searching for an alternative.  After striking out with attaching a USB drive to my router, I landed on attaching the drive drive to one of my Windows 10 boxes, then sharing a folder on said drive containing my music.
  • I ran into the usual Microsoft headaches, and after futzing with my 3rd party firewall and internet security app and changing the Microsoft network sharing settings to “no password required”, I finally made a small bit of progress by proving that Sonos could access the music on the drive.
  • This process required me to use the Sonos desktop app to add a shared music folder by browsing to a folder on my PC. Part of this process involved the Sonos app asking for permission to access this new shared folder, and doing something behind the scenes to make it work. This process gave me a file system tree to browse, which got me thinking:  since it worked when sharing my USB drive folder, why not take one more shot at browsing to my NAS folder through this tree.  Note that this was different from the failed approach I took prior to this, which was to use the option for entering the path to a “Networked device (ex. NAS drive)”.  Instead, I clicked on Sonos’ option to add music via “Another folder or a drive connected to my computer”.  I browsed to my NAS folder via the tree, and it freakin’ just worked.

I don’t know how useful this is to any of you or if it will work in your case.  And, of course, I was trying so many things for hours that didn’t work wrt both Windows and Synology folder sharing and permissions options.  I honestly don’t know if what I’ve described above would have worked had I tried it first.

I hope this helps.  It’s a simple approach that might be worth a shot.  I recommend using a test folder within your library, because it took almost 45 minutes for Sonos to reconstruct its database from my huge library.

Another successful use of Outburt’s solution, using the post above from rich_and_poor. Thanks both.

I used the inbuilt terminal on my mac, and SSH and vi did the rest. 

Userlevel 1

SMB 1 is enabled, NTMLv1 is checked.  Username and password correct.  All folder permissions are correct.

I am able to add the music library but still receive the Access Denied error when a song is selected to play.

sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService

Why would this make a difference as I have been into Synology and ensured that SMB 1 to 3 is available?

What else uses SMB?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I wouldn’t put my primary NAS at risk by allowing SMB v1 but there are many other fairly simple solutions to providing SMB v1 connections to your music so you can safely use the antique S1 only Sonos units.

An inexpensive SMB v1 NAS, like a Raspberry Pi or the many clones works for many. A bit more interesting is an SMB v1 gateway to your primary NAS music collection.

Sorry you haven’t seen my many posts on the work-around options:  (both a bit dated but should work)

SMB v1 Gateway  https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

SMB v1 NAS for Sonos  https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/650.html

There are also many posts here discussing the memory limits with explanations that are simple to follow or with technical data that most aren’t interested in. You can of course do your own research both on the internal Sonos memory and the requirements for the current Linux code and Samba server code.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Synology have been able to connect and have said they can see the files using SMB1.  They have said to contact Sonos.

It appears that my Connect will no longer work with my NAS. 😩

Yes, Synology logs show Sonos accessing my music files just fine, for example when updating the music library, but when trying to play music from the Sonos S1 app, I get the access denied error in Sonos. 

I have all S1 compatible equipment (Connect:Amps, Play:5s and Play:3s).  What’s frustrating is that if I start with DS Audio, I can play music files stored in my DiskStation on Sonos speakers, but I can’t start with Sonos and play those same files. 

If the problem is with Sonos and Sonos Connect products simply will no longer work with a Synology DiskStation, why did it only stop working after a Synology update?

I wasn’t aware of DS Audio (Station) until you mentioned it.  I appear to be back up and running.  Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Why would this make a difference as I have been into Synology and ensured that SMB 1 to 3 is available?

What else uses SMB?

Windows file mounts for one. But you can enable SMB3 with the 4.10 pacakge.

What app are you using? I’ve been looking for an app that would play my latest additions to the music collection for years! Smart lists that play tracks I’ve never listened to and random lists that exclude certain tracks I don’t like but I don’t delete to keep the album complete.

Hi Ivo_4,

I wrote the app. 

I sent you a PM, so we can discuss elsewhere.

Userlevel 2
Badge

sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService

Thanks so much for posting this.  It worked perfectly for me too running a DS920+.  

I’ve raised a support ticket with Synology just to add to others with the vain hope they might issue a fix.  I very much doubt SONOS will do anything as they’ve been trying to move everyone off S1 units for a long time.  However with 6 SONOS amps in the house I simply can’t afford to replace them all.  On top of that they do everything I need them to and I really don’t see a need to replace perfectly operational units.

However I suspect updates like these will eventually render our S1 units unusable…….😞

I have the same problem with some twists…

I have a ZP80, ZP100, Play:1 & Beam and I am using the S1 system with iPAD OS & Android. After upgrading my Synology NAS to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 I found (like most people) that Sonos could not see any of my speakers. By setting min SMB to 1 and enabling NTMLv1 Authentication, all speakers reappeared and seemed to work OK. That was until the NAS auto-updated the SMB package, now only the Play:1 & Beam are working with the Sonos app. The SMB settings still appear to be the same as prior to the update.

Here’s the strange stuff...if I start playing some music on the Play:1 or Beam, and then group this with the ZP80 and/or ZP100, all speakers play in sync.

As someone noted in an earlier post, if you fire up the Synology DS Audio app and point it at the ZPs this also works, and once music is queued up it can then be controlled with the Sonos app from the IPad or Android.

I guess we’re waiting for an update from Sonos or Synology.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Same story here. I seem to remember having this problem a few years ago after a Synology update to SMB, but I don’t remember how it was resolved.

Following this for a solution (hopefully).  Thank you.

An update a while back required the ‘Enable NTMLv1 Authentication’ option to be set.  That is in my case, and I’m seeing the issue. The log files show the Sonos Connect connecting successfully to the NAS, but the Sonos app is throwing the error.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@DuncanF, I noticed a typo in your fix.

It should be sudo -i (a space after sudo).  Could you edit original post?

Hope this helps others.

If someone can tell me how to edit a post I’ll happily update it! I must be missing the obvious …

I just noted that @sjw has a fix that will allow you to sitck with the most recent SMB pacakge, by tweaking `smb.conf`. If I can edit my post I’ll add a link to that, as that solution avoids the need to keep the SMB package on an older version.

Edit to add: so this seems to be an edit time window thing. I can edit this post, but not the ones I posted some days ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DuncanF 

Edit to add: so this seems to be an edit time window thing. I can edit this post, but not the ones I posted some days ago.

Correct - you get one hour to edit.

I have added the space for you.