Answered

Sonos Connect can no longer play music after Synology SMB update

• 13 April 2023
  • 96 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My Sonos Connect can no longer play any music following an update to the SMB package on my Synology drive.

I’ve followed the guides about setting up the appropriate SMB1 access allowing NTLM access, but when I try and connect, I just get “access denied” even though my S2 products are pointed at the same share.

The NAS logs show the S1 product connecting but the Sonos app is throwing the error.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a solution?

icon

Best answer by DuncanF 30 April 2023, 10:59

View original

96 replies

I’m a little confused. You mention both S2 and S1. Are you running both OS on different “systems” in your home?

S1 does indeed require SMB v1 and NTMLv1 in order to connect. For what it’s worth, I’ve had SMBv1 turned off by “updates” to my NAS’ firmware, without regard to whether I had it turned on or not. It’s always worth logging in to the NAS to confirm that those settings have not been changed for you, without your input. 

It may be worth a call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They may have more knowledge about the specific update to your Synology device, and certainly any hard data in  a system diagnostic might be helpful in tracking down where the interruption is coming from. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

Userlevel 1

Same here.  Only running s1 app and after SMB Update, this…..

As a guess, the Synology update turned off SMBv1.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

As a guess, the Synology update turned off SMBv1.

It’s still there and active but I get the “Access is denied…check the username and/or password” error.

Other S2 products (using the same connection credentials) work just fine,

Userlevel 1

SMB 1 is enabled, NTMLv1 is checked.  Username and password correct.  All folder permissions are correct.

I am able to add the music library but still receive the Access Denied error when a song is selected to play.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

SMB 1 is enabled, NTMLv1 is checked.  Username and password correct.  All folder permissions are correct.

I am able to add the music library but still receive the Access Denied error when a song is selected to play.

I removed and tried to re-add the library settings, but I can’t get that far now.  There are no errors in the Synology logs. In fact everything looks ok there. 

So, what did Sonos Support say, when you called in? 

Unfortunately, I’m no longer running S1 to do any relevant tests. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

After a lengthy call to Sonos support, the conclusion was that everything is working correctly at the Sonos layer and have been asked to contact Synology.  

I’ve raised a ticket with Synology and I’m awaiting their response. 

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same story here. I seem to remember having this problem a few years ago after a Synology update to SMB, but I don’t remember how it was resolved.

Following this for a solution (hopefully).  Thank you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Same story here. I seem to remember having this problem a few years ago after a Synology update to SMB, but I don’t remember how it was resolved.

Following this for a solution (hopefully).  Thank you.

An update a while back required the ‘Enable NTMLv1 Authentication’ option to be set.  That is in my case, and I’m seeing the issue. The log files show the Sonos Connect connecting successfully to the NAS, but the Sonos app is throwing the error.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

In the meantime I have been able to plug a USB flash drive into my router and have been able to point my Connect to that.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Synology have been able to connect and have said they can see the files using SMB1.  They have said to contact Sonos.

It appears that my Connect will no longer work with my NAS. 😩

Userlevel 2
Badge

Synology have been able to connect and have said they can see the files using SMB1.  They have said to contact Sonos.

Yes, Synology logs show Sonos accessing my music files just fine, for example when updating the music library, but when trying to play music from the Sonos S1 app, I get the access denied error in Sonos. 

I have all S1 compatible equipment (Connect:Amps, Play:5s and Play:3s).  What’s frustrating is that if I start with DS Audio, I can play music files stored in my DiskStation on Sonos speakers, but I can’t start with Sonos and play those same files. 

If the problem is with Sonos and Sonos Connect products simply will no longer work with a Synology DiskStation, why did it only stop working after a Synology update?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yes, Synology logs show Sonos accessing my music files just fine, for example when updating the music library, but when trying to play music from the Sonos S1 app, I get the access denied error in Sonos. 

I have all S1 compatible equipment (Connect:Amps, Play:5s and Play:3s).  What’s frustrating is that if I start with DS Audio, I can play music files stored in my DiskStation on Sonos speakers, but I can’t start with Sonos and play those same files. 

If the problem is with Sonos and Sonos Connect products simply will no longer work with a Synology DiskStation, why did it only stop working after a Synology update?

I wasn’t aware of DS Audio (Station) until you mentioned it.  I appear to be back up and running.  Thanks.

I have the same problem with some twists…

I have a ZP80, ZP100, Play:1 & Beam and I am using the S1 system with iPAD OS & Android. After upgrading my Synology NAS to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 I found (like most people) that Sonos could not see any of my speakers. By setting min SMB to 1 and enabling NTMLv1 Authentication, all speakers reappeared and seemed to work OK. That was until the NAS auto-updated the SMB package, now only the Play:1 & Beam are working with the Sonos app. The SMB settings still appear to be the same as prior to the update.

Here’s the strange stuff...if I start playing some music on the Play:1 or Beam, and then group this with the ZP80 and/or ZP100, all speakers play in sync.

As someone noted in an earlier post, if you fire up the Synology DS Audio app and point it at the ZPs this also works, and once music is queued up it can then be controlled with the Sonos app from the IPad or Android.

I guess we’re waiting for an update from Sonos or Synology.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just installed an update to the Synology SMB package on my DiskStation. I was hopeful, but this did not fix the problem. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m having exactly the same issue with my Sonos units (all S1). I’ve invested heavily in Sonos about 10 years ago. It’s sad to me that they tried to abandon completely these S1 products a few years back until the uproar about it. I hope that they will take the time to fix this issue. I will try the USB flash drive solution suggested by the OP as a workaround in the meantime.

I, too, had a cause-and-effect experience today after updating my Synology NAS to the last version of DSM.  And so I spent hours on this, blowing my entire Saturday.  And now it’s fixed, but I can’t be 100% certain why.  I will share this:

• I had basically given up and started searching for an alternative.  After striking out with attaching a USB drive to my router, I landed on attaching the drive drive to one of my Windows 10 boxes, then sharing a folder on said drive containing my music.
  • I ran into the usual Microsoft headaches, and after futzing with my 3rd party firewall and internet security app and changing the Microsoft network sharing settings to “no password required”, I finally made a small bit of progress by proving that Sonos could access the music on the drive.
  • This process required me to use the Sonos desktop app to add a shared music folder by browsing to a folder on my PC. Part of this process involved the Sonos app asking for permission to access this new shared folder, and doing something behind the scenes to make it work. This process gave me a file system tree to browse, which got me thinking:  since it worked when sharing my USB drive folder, why not take one more shot at browsing to my NAS folder through this tree.  Note that this was different from the failed approach I took prior to this, which was to use the option for entering the path to a “Networked device (ex. NAS drive)”.  Instead, I clicked on Sonos’ option to add music via “Another folder or a drive connected to my computer”.  I browsed to my NAS folder via the tree, and it freakin’ just worked.

I don’t know how useful this is to any of you or if it will work in your case.  And, of course, I was trying so many things for hours that didn’t work wrt both Windows and Synology folder sharing and permissions options.  I honestly don’t know if what I’ve described above would have worked had I tried it first.

I hope this helps.  It’s a simple approach that might be worth a shot.  I recommend using a test folder within your library, because it took almost 45 minutes for Sonos to reconstruct its database from my huge library.

I’m having exactly the same issue with my Sonos units (all S1). I’ve invested heavily in Sonos about 10 years ago. It’s sad to me that they tried to abandon completely these S1 products a few years back until the uproar about it. I hope that they will take the time to fix this issue. I will try the USB flash drive solution suggested by the OP as a workaround in the meantime.

Hi,

See my post just above this.  I have something to add to this now:  I’m on S1 like you, but I have a combination of older and newer hardware.

• If I try to listen to each Zone independently (no grouping of other zones), then only the newer hardware can successfully find my music on the Synology NAS.  This newer hardware is an Amp, a Playbase (not so new, really) and Gen 2 S5.
  • The older hardware (ZP100, ZP120, ZP80, Connect) will not play independently.
  • The older hardware can, however, be grouped with newer hardware and stream what’s being played on the newer hardware.  It’s inelegant, but will get me by for now while I try to figure out what the Synology change actually broke and whether or not Sonos will act on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If Sonos is working on other NAS devices Sonos isn’t likely to get too deep into another manufacturer’s problem.

I had many NAS issues, picked up a Raspberry Pi computer and pulled an old SSD from my scrap box and it happily runs my music library with zero issues.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo -i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Moderator edit: added space to “sudo -i”

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Got the exact same issue here. Been using Sonos for 10+ years and have no reason to ditch my Play 5 speakers for new ones….. I think this issue is really annoying and think that Sonos and Synology ought to have a chat and fix this very soon. Don't wanna downgrade my SMB since the upgrade must be there for a reason…..

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Why would this make a difference as I have been into Synology and ensured that SMB 1 to 3 is available?

What else uses SMB?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m not sure whether this is an option on Synology drives, but instead of downgrading one could add “unix extensions = no” to the smb.conf file. Samba 4.15 includes a security change that makes this addition needed for some devices (old Linux Kernels).