Answered

Sonos broke NAS

• 17 February 2022
  • 18 replies

The latest Sonos system update broke NAS access. I have TP-Link Archer C9 router with Samsung  PSSD T7 portable SSD. All access is enabled for the drive. It worked for months, one day no go. I can access the drive from every other device I have. In Windows 10 and android I add the drive in Music Library Settings, Sonos sees the drive for a second, then says it is no longer available. I spent an hour with support and remote access, ended with the claim it was the NAS drive settings. I have factory reset, uninstalled and reinstalled apps on windows and android. Still doesn’t work. I can play Pandora on the system and music from my android.

icon

Best answer by wyrwulf 17 February 2022, 17:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

The Sonos app and devices are read only with regards to the library share.  It’s impossible that Sonos is to blame.

Is the Archer firmware up to date? Which version(s) of SMB does it support? With or without authentication? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

What Version of Sonos are you running S1 or S2

Sonos IS to blame. It worked before the last sonos update, and now doesn’t work. I have made no changes to my system. Archer is up to date, doesn’t show what version smb. Using Sonos S2 for PC version 14.0, android version S2 14.0.4

Have you tried an alternative USB drive, with a few test files on it? 

FWIW routers are mainly designed to be routers. NAS type file sharing can be a bit hit and miss sometimes. 

Sonos IS to blame. It worked before the last sonos update, and now doesn’t work. I have made no changes to my system. Archer is up to date, doesn’t show what version smb. Using Sonos S2 for PC version 14.0, android version S2 14.0.4

Every update we have, a half dozen or so posters come here with missing rooms, bad connections, problems grouping, etc.  Most blame the update.  What they don’t realize is the update requires rebooting of all Sonos devices, which often exposes problems with network, mainly duplicate IP addresses.  A quick network refresh and the “problems” with the “update” mysteriously disappear. 

Thank you ratty. I have tried different drives no go. Like I said, I can access files on the drive from PC and android, just not Sonos any more. In windows services the SonosLibraryService is set to automatic, but is stopped. I start it, and windows starts it, then pops up with “The SonosLibraryService service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.”

I did a complete system reset. Factory reset the speakers, uninstalled then reinstalled the PC and android apps, and set up a new system. Everything works except getting to the router drive which worked before the last update.

I did a complete system reset. Factory reset the speakers, uninstalled then reinstalled the PC and android apps, and set up a new system. Everything works except getting to the router drive which worked before the last update.

Factory resetting does nothing but erase important diagnostic information.  Without a router reboot first, then a full reboot of the network devices, all rebooting does is exacerbate the duplicate IP addresses.

In windows services the SonosLibraryService is set to automatic, but is stopped. I start it, and windows starts it, then pops up with “The SonosLibraryService service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.”

The Windows SonosLibraryService is irrelevant. That’s for serving PC-based files to Sonos over HTTP. You’re accessing the router’s share directly by SMB aren’t you? What does the share path stored in Sonos look like?

There isn’t a share path stored in Sonos. It won’t take. Sonos:Music Library Settings:add Networked device: path \\192.168.0.1\sda1 Music library setup “sda1 is now set up on your sonos system” then window Music Files Not Available popup ‘//192.168.0.1/sda1’ is no longer available

What happens if you specify a top-level folder name, e.g. \\192.168.0.1\sda1\music (or whatever).

The same issue from PC and android apps. Thanks again very much for your assistance.

We know that Sonos made changes at 13.4.1 to how it accesses shares, when they introduced SMB2 and SMB3 support. It’s conceivable that something got bent out of shape in terms of the interaction with the Archer firmware.

Thanks. I will keep plugging along. If I figure it out, I will come back and post what I did.

OK. I’m an idiot. I tried another path and it worked. \\162.168.0.1\sda1\G

The router sharing access page shows folder name sda1 folder path G:

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

We’ve all been there!.  Well done for coming back and confirming a positive outcome.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I was facing similar problem & it detected my drive by giving path as IP address. But it is not updating music library & new albums. Did you tried to manually update music library afterwards? Is it OK ?