sonos app issues…

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

My house is full of Sonos..in ever room. Never had issues in 3 years. WiFi is fine. 14 total Sonos devices including Boost. Since the LAST SONOS PHONE APP UPDATE, I get this occasionally. I see several others mention the same in different groups. All my speakers are working. If you click on the “fix it “issue < it comes back and says no Sonos products found on my WiFi…really? All are playing. Close the app out..guess what??!! Shows no issues. And at times ..app still crashes… 

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I read in a different thread the possibility of 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi channels not bridging? Phone on one band, and Sonos on the other? Maybe someone will add to this…

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I read in a different thread the possibility of 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi channels not bridging? Phone on one band, and Sonos on the other? Maybe someone will add to this…

My phone is on the 2.4…I’ve checked. So I can rule that out..

I’ve also seen mentioned that ‘Private WiFi Address’ (MAC address spoofing) can sometimes cause such issues with iOS devices and SSDP (multicasting) device discovery across the different (wired/wireless) elements of the LAN  - admittedly I leave that feature switched off for Home Network connections with my own Apple mobile devices, so not sure if it does play a role🤔?

Userlevel 7

I’ve also seen mentioned that ‘Private WiFi Address’ (MAC address spoofing) can sometimes cause such issues with iOS devices and SSDP (multicasting) device discovery across the different (wired/wireless) elements of the LAN  - admittedly I leave that feature switched off for Home Network connections with my own Apple mobile devices, so not sure if it does play a role🤔?

I’m not saying that couldn’t be a potential cause (mainly because I don’t know) but I’ve never disabled that setting on any of my Apple devices.

Also see the edit in Corry’s post in this recent thread:

The issue now of course is that S2 Sonos devices (except HT devices) can now use either the routers 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi band these days, but that depends on a few things, such as whether the SSID’s are stored in the Sonos App network settings and if the SSID’s are different, or the same, for each band. 

If not doing already, one option might be to run all on a 2.4Ghz SonosNet signal instead by wiring one standalone Sonos device to the router (keep it one metre or more away from the router) and set the SonosNet channel so that it’s different to the routers 2.4Ghz channel (which should be set to 20Mhz only and non-overlapping).

If there are no Sonos portable products (Roam/Move) in the system, I would actually remove the local routers WiFi credentials altogether from the Sonos App, as that will prevent speakers hopping between SonosNet and the local WiFi signal and (hopefully) improve SSDP discovery.

One other final thing is to reserve the Sonos IP addresses (make them static on the LAN and easier to find) by adding them to the routers DHCP reservation table. 

So hope those few suggestions might assist @Dogdad to perhaps improve the discovery of your products by your mobile controller device.

Userlevel 7

@Dogdad - what speakers are in the Kitchen? Stereo pair of One SLs?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

The issue now of course is that S2 Sonos devices (except HT devices) can now use either the routers 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi band these days, but that depends on a few things, such as whether the SSID’s are stored in the Sonos App network settings and if the SSID’s are different, or the same, for each band. 

If not doing already, one option might be to run all on a 2.4Ghz SonosNet signal instead by wiring one standalone Sonos device to the router (keep it one metre or more away from the router) and set the SonosNet channel so that it’s different to the routers 2.4Ghz channel (which should be set to 20Mhz only and non-overlapping).

If there are no Sonos portable products (Roam/Move) in the system, I would actually remove the local routers WiFi credentials altogether from the Sonos App, as that will prevent speakers hopping between SonosNet and the local WiFi signal and (hopefully) improve SSDP discovery.

One other final thing is to reserve the Sonos IP addresses (make them static on the LAN and easier to find) by adding them to the routers DHCP reservation table. 

So hope those few suggestions might assist @Dogdad to perhaps improve the discovery of your products by your mobile controller device.

I have a boost connected to router..

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Correct 

Userlevel 7

Correct 

Thx, I based that on a screenshot you added to a previous thread. I’m not psychic.

So, the Kitchen speakers should be connecting through SonosNet due to your system being wired.

Why it is not is then the question here. The culprit is likely due to some router setting/issue. You should explore @Ken_Griffiths suggestion above re static IP addresses, although I know we’ve also talked about that before.

I have a boost connected to router..

Channels/channel-width in use on the router and in use for SonosNet? How far away is the Boost? Any Sonos portable devices.. are the WiFi credentials stored in the Apps network settings etc?

Microwave oven interference (when operating) in the kitchen?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Microwave oven interference (when operating) in the kitchen?

Different rooms at different times will show up not connected, so I’ll rule out the microwave. 

My house is full of Sonos..in ever room. Never had issues in 3 years. WiFi is fine. 14 total Sonos devices including Boost. Since the LAST SONOS PHONE APP UPDATE, I get this occasionally. I see several others mention the same in different groups. All my speakers are working. If you click on the “fix it “issue < it comes back and says no Sonos products found on my WiFi…really? All are playing. Close the app out..guess what??!! Shows no issues. And at times ..app still crashes… 

My Android Samsung S10e does this when:

(1) My smartphone accidentally connects to one of my other Wi-Fi channels ( I have guest wifi). Sometimes my main Wi-Fi channel drops out momentarily and my smartphone jumps over to one of my other Wi-Fi channels without telling me 😬

(2) I have a secure VPN process on my smartphone and when I turn that on, my smart phone  isn't directly tune into the home Wi-Fi channel that my sono is connected to. ( My smartphone is tuned into a remote server and consequently Smartphone is on a different ip address from the Sonos Wi-Fi. )

(3) On some rare occasions my smart phone loses connectivity to my home wifi. Especially after restarting smart phone.

In all these cases Sonos keeps playing. But the Sonos app won't operate, can't find any Sonos devices. And offers to fix it or offers to find/ search for Sonos devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Keep in mind the Controller is just a controller. It tells a Sonos to play something or stop but isn’t involved in the playing.

Compare to your car, you jump out at 60 on the highway, the car happily continues on.

If it’s a self driving car, it will continue to your destination.