Answered

Sonos app "cannot find" songs in iTunes playlist, but can in Artist folder

• 15 April 2024
  • 4 replies

I’ve seen similar posts with this issue, but cannot find a resolution to mine. 

I have iTunes library stored on desktop PC, with the entire library synced to DS220+ NAS via Synology Drive. The synced folder on the NAS is what my Sonos app is synced to for my music library. All the songs appear as they should, and playback no problem. However, when I go to the Imported Playlists folder in the Sonos library to access my iTunes playlists, some of the songs show as the file name: “Artist - Title.mp3”, and won’t playback as Sonos app shows error message:

“Unable to play (Song file name/location), cannot be found”.

But the song appears and plays normal when going through the Artist folder and the file name doesn’t show with the .mp3 extension like it does in the playlist error.

This obviously appears to be some issue with the playlist file iTunes is generating, but I don’t know what it could be...since the playlists sync fine and some of the songs will appear/playback as normal, but som display the full file name with .mp3 extension and won’t playback at all. But ALL the songs can playback via Artist folder.

😣

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 April 2024, 10:09

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ChisWally 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of your issue with Music Library stored on your NAS drive. You’ll likely need to remove the "iTunes Music Library.xml" or "iTunes Library.xml" file from the music folder on your NAS, recreate it using the iTunes (Apple Music, now) application by exporting your playlists, then copy the resulting file from your PC’s music folder back to the NAS drive and re-indexing with the Sonos app.

If you are unsure of any of this, or if it doesn’t help. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to do it for you by remotely connecting to your computer.

I hope this helps.

Hi @ChisWally 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of your issue with Music Library stored on your NAS drive. You’ll likely need to remove the "iTunes Music Library.xml" or "iTunes Library.xml" file from the music folder on your NAS, recreate it using the iTunes (Apple Music, now) application by exporting your playlists, then copy the resulting file from your PC’s music folder back to the NAS drive and re-indexing with the Sonos app.

If you are unsure of any of this, or if it doesn’t help. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to do it for you by remotely connecting to your computer.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry. This did not resolve the issue unfortunately, as the newly created playlist file contained the same problem - some songs were not playable because they “could not be found”.

I will reach out to tech team for support.

@Corry P I just tried another workaround to try and isolate the problem:

I selected a playlist (with songs that don’t playback) from the Imported Playlists folder from the iTunes media library and added it to a Sonos playlist with the same name. Sure enough, the songs will play normally from that playlist...but still not from the one synced from iTunes folder.

Not sure if this might direct the troubleshooting to look at something else?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ChisWally 

This is not expected behaviour - I can only recommend that you please get in touch with our technical support team to demonstrate this behaviour and so they can do some in-depth troubleshooting with you. I’d recommend a phone call over a chat session. What the speakers report in each case will be key.

I hope they are able to help you.