Answered

Songs in music library skip for a few seconds

• 17 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I’ve read the related posts but can’t seem to find an answer to my problem.

I have my music library on my desktop computer along with the Sonos controller app. My Sonos system consists of a playbar and sub. I also have a Sonos boost because the Sonos system is connected wirelessly and all updates have been installed. It has all worked well since I added the boost about 2 years ago but now it’s started skipping a few seconds (maybe 10-15 secs) every couple of songs. I’ve monitored my wifi signal on my phone and laptop and haven’t noticed any problems. Any help would be much appreciated as this is a very annoying and somewhat embarrassing problem when I have friends over.

Thanks,

Dave

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 February 2022, 14:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can’t monitor the SonosNet WiFi signal on your phone or on a standard laptop. If you are monitoring your WiFi signal what you are seeing is only the connection of your controller’s device to your router, not the SonosNet that your music flows over.

First suggestion is to use the Sonos Support guide to optimizing wireless connections. (below)

Second would be to wait for the problem to strike, submit a diagnostic and contact Sonos with the ID number so they can look at your internal (not visible to us users) data.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4725?language=en_US

Reduce wireless interference

Since my suspicion would be a duplicate IP address issue, I’d also try a simple refresh of the SonosNet connection, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, and while they’re powered down, reboot your router.  Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @drpil 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The suggestions above are excellent, but the single most common cause of this issue in setups like yours is the Boost being too close to the router. If it is less than 1m (3 feet) away, I suggest you relocate one or the other. 

Your router may have also shifted it’s utilised channel to the same channel as SonosNet (created by the Boost), or to an over-lapping channel. You can change the channel SonosNet uses in the Sonos app: Settings » System » Network » Change SonosNet Channel. Try each alternate setting until you get better results.

If you’re unsure about the channels, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. This is all a bit time consuming because the problem is fairly sporadic but I will keep working my way through it. I’ll be back if I don’t figure it out.

Dave