Skip to main content

SOLUTION - Missing Playlists on Sonos with Apple Music (iTunes) on a Mac.

• 24 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Ok, so after much trial and error on this, I have finally found the solution.

My set up is as follows. My music library is on a NAS which is connected to a MacMini (running Sonoma 14.2.1) . Every time I re-import my Apple Music Library, it does not bring over the playlists.

Here’s how you do it.

1. Import music from your NAS (or even external drive) into Sonos
  2. A new file will be created in the music folder in your home folder (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml)
  3. Move that iTunes folder (and the file inside) to where your music is stored.
  4. Remove and re-import your music library in Sonos. Sonos will pick up the itunes .xml file and import the playlists as well as all the music.

I do not think you can simply “update the music library now” to bring over new playlists. The file containing the playlists is only generated when you do the first import. I don’t think it’s updated at all.

If there is a better solution out there, I’d love to hear it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @thedarkhalf 

Welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for sharing your process!

Many people’s iTunes folders are not empty, so I would recommend only moving the iTunes Music Library.xml file, rather than the whole folder, and step 4 - as I understand it, but can’t verify - should work with a Music Library Update, rather than a removal and addition of the share, but if you’ve found otherwise, I’ll happily capitulate to someone who actually has a Mac to test with.

Another way of exporting playlists would be to create .m3u playlist files to go into the folders where the music is kept. A search for “export itunes playlists to m3u” provided multiple methods for this, but as they involve either third-party apps or running scripts, Sonos cannot recommend them. With a NAS share, you would presumably also need to change the Apple Music app’s music library storage location to the NAS - I’m not sure if that’s permitted or not, but the use of multiple .m3u files may be preferential to the .xml file if it is. I wish I could test this for you before mentioning it, but that’s just not possible for me. If you try it, please keep a backup folder of your music just in case.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Many people’s iTunes folders are not empty, so I would recommend only moving the iTunes Music Library.xml file, rather than the whole folder, and step 4 - as I understand it, but can’t verify - should work with a Music Library Update, rather than a removal and addition of the share, but if you’ve found otherwise, I’ll happily capitulate to someone who actually has a Mac to test with.

You might be right. I think Apple started putting music in a “Music” folder but I cannot confirm. Mine is in a custom folder. Good advice tho.

Another way of exporting playlists would be to create .m3u playlist files to go into the folders where the music is kept. A search for “export itunes playlists to m3u” provided multiple methods for this, but as they involve either third-party apps or running scripts, Sonos cannot recommend them. With a NAS share, you would presumably also need to change the Apple Music app’s music library storage location to the NAS - I’m not sure if that’s permitted or not, but the use of multiple .m3u files may be preferential to the .xml file if it is. I wish I could test this for you before mentioning it, but that’s just not possible for me. If you try it, please keep a backup folder of your music just in case.

I hope this helps.

Ohh, i’ll def look into testing this out this and update my post if needed. Thanks for the input!