Answered

S2 App quits

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 12 replies

Sonos S2 App quits while trying to add new service.

(scrolling down the list of services halfway, app closes)

I am using IOS 17.4.1

any info on this issue?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 March 2024, 12:52

View original

18 replies

It may be trying to launch the service’s app for authorization and running into a problem.  Sometimes that happens if the music service’s native app is not set up properly on your device. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It may be trying to launch the service’s app for authorization and running into a problem.  Sometimes that happens if the music service’s native app is not set up properly on your device. 

Sounds like they aren’t even getting that far, its crashing during enumeration/display of the services.

What country are you in? I am in the USA and no issues listing services on 17.3, updating to 17.4.1 right now to check that.

Badge

Thx for your reply.

I have not installed any native app from the service providers on my device.

I refer to the list of Services/Providers within the Sonos S2 app.

Trying to scroll down the list halfways, the app just quits.

😳

Badge

Thx again.

country is Germany

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I just upgraded to 17.4.1, no problem still. I am on an SE 3. It could be that something is wrong with the German services list. Hopefully another German user will try this so we can see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There’s a user on Reddit reporting the exact same problem, they are in Ireland.

@wees,

Not crashing here in the UK, so it might just be certain countries only, or perhaps a coincidence.

If available, maybe try a different Sonos controller device linked to the same ‘existing’ Sonos system, just as a quick further test. 

Badge

Have checked with identical IPhone, IOS 17.3.1

same behaviour

Both devices running Sonos 16.1 build 78151030

@wees  
In that case it maybe best to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

They may also need your crash log from the iOS device ‘Settings/Privacy & Security/Analytics & Improvements/Analytics Data’ and (if requested) provide them the time-stamped Sonos.ips crash log by exporting it to Files and emailing it to them.

Hope you are able to get the issue resolved. 👍

And please, let us know what you find out. I’m running is with no issues on essentially the same systems, so I’m curious as to why yours is failing, and mine is not. 

Badge

Hi and thx to all.

had not the time to start the Sonos service procedure due to Easter Egg search…🪺

I will report within a couple of days.

One mysterious thing is, if I do a search in the services list, it work fine…

Happy Easter

Badge

Well, I did some more evaluation today.

It could result from a specific entrance in the Sonos list of Services. Maybe from the kickout of „radio.net“…

However as mentioned before, I‘ve filtered/searched another service from the list, called „mytuner“ and it worked with no problem.

So the issue is temporarly solved. If I‘ll find some time the next days, I‘ll start a chat with Sonos support.

Stay tuned…

Badge

I‘ve promised an update:

Today, I did a check again. (remember my last post☝️)

Scrolling down the Sonos list of services - and it works fine as expected.

So, as an personal conclusion, the mysterious „shut down of the app while scrolling the list“ has to do with either the kick out of „radio.net“ (poss. a German thing?!)

or Sonos did some fix internally…😳?

Thx to all 

To the best of my knowledge (not definitive) all Sonos does is check that a server is there to present/authorize against. If that particular server is down (and it is not a Sonos server), then the service won’t appear in the list. 

And of course, the same goes for each service’s content. If a particular service isn’t presenting a radio station to Sonos, it won’t appear in that service’s display…so if they show station X but not station Y, it’s because station Y isn’t giving any information to the streaming service, who then passes on that data to Sonos. 

It’s always more convenient to contact Sonos about these issues, particularly given they provide these forums,  but frequently, I expect, these actually aren’t Sonos issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To the best of my knowledge (not definitive) all Sonos does is check that a server is there to present/authorize against. If that particular server is down (and it is not a Sonos server), then the service won’t appear in the list. 

And of course, the same goes for each service’s content. If a particular service isn’t presenting a radio station to Sonos, it won’t appear in that service’s display…so if they show station X but not station Y, it’s because station Y isn’t giving any information to the streaming service, who then passes on that data to Sonos. 

It’s always more convenient to contact Sonos about these issues, particularly given they provide these forums,  but frequently, I expect, these actually aren’t Sonos issues. 

The list of available services comes from a Sonos server, and it is unique to each supported geography, so I assume the German list was broken in some way which caused the app to crash. Either Sonos fixed the list, or fixed the app so it didn’t crash, or both.

How does that list from Sonos get populated? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Populating it is likely less than fun:

Fetch all the Sonos partner’s links.

Test that the link is working.

Make the (internal use only) master list.

Make subsidiary (customer) lists from the master, reflecting geographic restrictions for each supported country.

Badge

I am with controlav‘s explanation👌

By easy thinking, I have in my mind that somebody simply forgot to update some server database right after the disappearance of „radio.net“ in Germany.

Meanwhile the update (whoever it did…) took effect and the app works fine again. 

Thx to all