Answered

S1 app not permitting Play 5 to be added

• 13 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

I have one speaker (Play 5, gen 1) compatible with S1 app only.  All other speakers are compatible with S2.

I have reset by Play 5 but am unable to use S1 to add as new speaker.  Upon launching S1 app, i’m prompted to ‘Use Sonos S2 app.’  

Please advise.  

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 18 November 2022, 13:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @nbelani, welcome back to the Community.

This sounds like the Sonos S1 app is looking for the S2 system and generally happens after upgrading to S2. 

You’ll need to reset the Sonos S1 app to reconnect to the Play:5 Gen 1. Depending on the status of the Play:5, this will change how you reconnect.

If the Play:5 is Factory Reset, the LED is flashing green when plugged into power, then you’ll need to set up a new system. If the Play:5 has a solid white LED when plugged into power, then you just need to reset the Sonos S1 app and connect to an existing system.

I hope this helps you reconnect to your Play:5 to get it up and running again!

Badge

Hi

I have had a similar issue in that i am having problems connecting a gen 1 play 5 to the S1 app.

My play 5 was cutting out, so i factory reset it - i now have a flashing green light - i have uninstalled and reinstalled the s1 app and get through to the connection part of the process.

When it asks me to select the SONOS network, this connects - but then when i try to connect to the house wifi - it will not connect using the wifi key password (BT homehub and i am entering the wireless password/key on the pull out tab)

**update - it will not connect using the SONOS wifi - i have tried using 2 different iphones now!***

any suggestions as this is now 45 minutes of my life i am not getting back! :)

Hi all, I have a similar issue but once the Play connects to S1 it works fine, until I restart the S1 app where it (S1) trys to connect to the S2 system which is on the same wifi network. To get the S1/Play 5(Gen1) to work the whole process has to be repeated. Can anyone help as this is getting very tedious….

Thanks

@nbelani,
First make sure your Sonos controller device meets these requirements:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Power off your S2 products and temporarily remove the S2 Sonos App. Now setup the Play:5 gen1 using the installed S1 App.

When complete, reinstall the S2 App and power on all your S2 devices and let them connect to the network and settle. On first opening of the S2 App bypass the opening screens and accept T&C’s etc. and if prompted, select the option to connect it back to the ‘existing’ S2 Sonos system. 

Hope that suggestion helps you to resolve the matter.

(edit: the Staff here beat me to it).

Thank you, Am I right in understanding if the Gen1 is unplugged that the above process will need to be repeated? 

I will give this a try and feedback success or fail 😊 

Thank you, Am I right in understanding if the Gen1 is unplugged that the above process will need to be repeated? 

I will give this a try and feedback success or fail 😊 

Note my initial reply above was aimed towards @nbelani issue, rather than your own, which sounds like a slightly different matter (perhaps?). However if you’re asking if a speaker needs to be setup/installed again when it’s powered off, then the answer to that is ‘no’, it will remember all its settings, but that’s assuming it’s not faulty in some way. 

When complete, reinstall the S2 App and power on all your S2 devices and let them connect to the network and settle. On first opening of the S2 App bypass the opening screens and accept T&C’s etc. and if prompted, select the option to connect it back to the ‘existing’ S2 Sonos 

Tried all that but now only giving me option to connect to nearby Sonos system, but when I press continue nothing happens.

Any ideas, please?

My 😰 error, actually followed the instructions to the letter this time and it's working again. Thank you all for your guidance. 😊.