Skip to main content
Question

RE: Lost music Library 5/22/2024

After the horrendous recent update, which completely lost my local music library, I checked the Sonos update page (https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates), and among the supposed (Allegedly)features available as of May 21 2024, it listed “

• Improved Local Music Library playback of folders

Considering that I couldn't access my library at all,  I wondered what possible improvement there was, so I had an online chat with tech support. They seemed as though they had never heard of anyone having this problem, which was amazing to me as it is all over the forums and on the Internet, so I'm not alone. I submitted diagnostics as requested, and their response was  that it was due to a "legacy share" support link, and referred me to this Apple link:

How to disable SMB 1 or NetBIOS in macOS

Learn how to disable SMB 1 or NetBIOS to prevent failover.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102050

The page also mentions "This article is intended for enterprise and education system administrators”

Is Sonos kidding? Now I am really confused, and this is a terrifying page for a civilian as I wouldn't even know how to begin to implement this, not being a tech professional and worried I might it advertently make problems on my Mac, not to mention I wasn't sure that it would actually work.  I was told I could make a phone appointment for a remote session, but I am not even sure what to make of this.

Has anyone else had any experience with this since the disastrous update? If so, have you had any success with getting your local music library back? While I do some streaming, I mainly use my local music library, so I have been practically apoplectic with rage at the Sonos bait and switch, essentially turning my Sonos products into streaming only speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Userlevel 1

I am in exactly the same boat so I am anxious to hear if anyone has figured this out. 

Userlevel 1

After a 70 minute wait, ran through the usual steps w/ tech support and when that didn’t work was told it was the update and they were working on a fix. This was over 10 days ago…still waiting.

Userlevel 3

Sonos passing the buck and blaming my computer for not being able to access the local music library-(Of course, it just MIGHT have something to do with their update!) The advice I got from Sonos put the blame on my computer, but I got a different point of view elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I checked in with Apple support about the Sonos chat tech chap blaming my Mac for not being able to access my local music library due to"Legacy shares", and his recommendation that I make major changes on my Mac in order to fix the problem (How to disable SMB 1 or NetBIOS in macOS--link https://support.apple.com/en-us/102050 ) BTW this Apple support page  is for “enterprise and education system administrators”, NOT ordinary users). Does Sonos really put all the burden on their average user to figure out something like this? Some people just want to be able to use the product! And it used to work before their blasted update!

I didn't feel comfortable trying anything so complex without being certain that it wouldn't affect my Mac in a negative way,  and without any conviction it would actually fix my Sonos problem, which is something that Apple will not comment upon at all.

Let's just say that the Apple-specific recommendations the Sonos chap made for my Mac made no sense when I inquired about the ramifications for my Mac, and Apple support suggested I contact Sonos again as they "could not comment "on non-Apple products, and suggested I try to find someone at Sonos in tech support higher up with more expertise.

Sonos appears to be promising there will be an update in mid June regarding local music library playback, but I'll believe it when I see it. If they don't fix this, I will have to start looking for a different way to play my own music. I didn't get Sonos speakers just for streaming services. I want to listen to my own music, much of which is not available commercially.

What the heck is this advice I was given from the Sonos chat chap? This is so frustrating and galling.

Userlevel 2

This is so appalling. I've been playing music from my hard drive since getting my first Sonos not too long after they entered the market. I regret having committed to Sonos and no longer trust them.

Sonos passing the buck and blaming my computer for not being able to access the local music library-(Of course, it just MIGHT have something to do with their update!) The advice I got from Sonos put the blame on my computer, but I got a different point of view elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I checked in with Apple support about the Sonos chat tech chap blaming my Mac for not being able to access my local music library due to"Legacy shares", and his recommendation that I make major changes on my Mac in order to fix the problem (How to disable SMB 1 or NetBIOS in macOS--link https://support.apple.com/en-us/102050 ) BTW this Apple support page  is for “enterprise and education system administrators”, NOT ordinary users). Does Sonos really put all the burden on their average user to figure out something like this? Some people just want to be able to use the product! And it used to work before their blasted update!

I didn't feel comfortable trying anything so complex without being certain that it wouldn't affect my Mac in a negative way,  and without any conviction it would actually fix my Sonos problem, which is something that Apple will not comment upon at all.

Let's just say that the Apple-specific recommendations the Sonos chap made for my Mac made no sense when I inquired about the ramifications for my Mac, and Apple support suggested I contact Sonos again as they "could not comment "on non-Apple products, and suggested I try to find someone at Sonos in tech support higher up with more expertise.

Sonos appears to be promising there will be an update in mid June regarding local music library playback, but I'll believe it when I see it. If they don't fix this, I will have to start looking for a different way to play my own music. I didn't get Sonos speakers just for streaming services. I want to listen to my own music, much of which is not available commercially.

What the heck is this advice I was given from the Sonos chat chap? This is so frustrating and galling.

SMB v1 is a sharing protocol (think of it as a language used to read files remotely) which allows your Sonos devices to access music stored on an NAS or computer.  SMB v1 has some well documented security issues, which resulted in a bunch of doom and gloom threads here and in the tech press about Sonos’ “vulnerabilities” due to the use of SMB v1.  Sonos appears to have caved to these scare tactics, despite the fact that there isn’t one documented case of a Sonos system being hijacked due to the vulnerabilities in SMB v1. 

The TL;DR version is you need to switch your sharing protocol from SMB v1 to SMB v2 or v3 and then your library will be accessible.  How to do that is something a Mac person could tell you.  My library is on an NAS and has been SMB v3 for a while.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have this same problem.    Have been a loyal Sonos user for twenty years.   How do we get this fixed?

Userlevel 1

See if reverting to older version of the app works, it works on Android, local share works perfectly fine in is using the March version of the Software.

The problem has been latest software update by SONOS, so checking for solutions elsewhere will most likely result in total waste of time.

Userlevel 2

They say they will have this personal library function back up by mid-June. Why would this take 6 weeks? It is entirely possible they are working through the programming and legal process of encrypting our music files to a Sonos only format network wide like iTunes did. The encryption program will likely be installed to run independent of the Sonos App and have a “corrective” program that will upload and reinstall the encryption if it is disabled. This way they can hold our music for ransom or even ruin/delete our music libraries. Sonos has demonstrated they are both capable and willing to take ownership of our systems and to force us to use kiddie-play marketing streaming services. 

While my Sonos system in its current state in not useable, I have taken the opportunity to tidy up my audio files and move them to a Linux machine and a cold (i.e. unplugged) drive. I will use a laptop that has never run Sonos to download any more music. This way, Sonos can encrypt all they like and never have access to my master library files. I strongly urge everyone to do likewise.

In the meantime, I am searching for a Linux based alternative like Kubi.

Userlevel 1

I am disgusted at Sonos. I have loved my system for many years and NEVER any issues. I have 7 zones in my house.  Ever since S2 came out I mysteriously have all kinds of connectivity issues. This is such a bait and switch. Where can we report this?

Userlevel 3

I am having the same problem.  I have used my music library with Sonos for more than 10 years.  It still works fine on my legacy S1 system.  But the new Sonos app simply can’t find my NAS drive.  As with others, I use Sonos to not just to stream, but to listen to my large library of music. 

Note that many of us have spent a lot of money buying multiple Sonos speakers to connect throughout our house.  So switching to another method of listening to music is not really a possibility.  They have a captive audience, and they can do what they want to us.

Userlevel 2

Same problem here. Looking at other companies after 10+ years with sonos. 

Userlevel 1

I was just checking in to see if there’s a lost/abandoned library fix imminent and lit upon this thread. Like others I’ve been a sonos user for years and wondering what ratio of complacent:incompetent was brought to the latest update. I would urge sonos to get stable above all else but that horse has bolted according to sonos share price this month. I looked to see if the market was taking notice of the user, seems so unless it’s something else driving it down. And sonos want us to buy their ‘most anticipated product’ - a pair of headphones. Bad timing as well as too little too late - I’m hitting the delete button on their blandishment emails with the delight of saying...well it combines sex & travel.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

You CAN add it back in but, it requires that you reinstall the S2 Controller on your desktop Mac(s). kerz56 posted a great Reddit link that contains a YouTube link that details perfectly what you need to do to restore what you had prior to the hapless update. Note: Once you resinstall the S2 controller, and prior to taking the steps detailed in the video, go into Sonos’ prefernces and delete the current Music Library.  Then, do what the video says and add that same library back into the controller Music Library tab. You should get it back. It worked for me on the two iMacs that I control our Sonos music with.  If you don’t want to hunt up kerz56’s forum post, here’s the YouTube link:

Good luck…

Brad

Userlevel 1

Thank you! I’m an old(er) geezer, sonos and Apple were my choices years back because they were intuitive and didn’t require background WTF is going on knowledge. I won’t be forced into territory by them that was no-man’s land for me even back then. Digging out amp, CD player and checking the 15 for £1 charity shop CDs that have been jettisoned for streaming. When I’ve got over my whiskying I’ll follow your post with proper attention!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Thank you! I’m an old(er) geezer, sonos and Apple were my choices years back because they were intuitive and didn’t require background WTF is going on knowledge. I won’t be forced into territory by them that was no-man’s land for me even back then. Digging out amp, CD player and checking the 15 for £1 charity shop CDs that have been jettisoned for streaming. When I’ve got over my whiskying I’ll follow your post with proper attention!

I’m a geezer myself, Dr. Muncs.  I’m set in stone as to how I want to utilize my Sonos system.  This workaround does nothing for the iPhone app though. I still have no control, via my phone, to adjust volume, select music folders, artists or titles… nothing.  It all has to be done from the iMac Sonos controller. I’m hoping that gets repaired very soon (Note: There’s a Sonos app update for my phone but, I’m not going to step in that pile until someone else goes first. Maybe MANY someones.)

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve had success with accessing my music library through the web app and the desktop app.  The iPhone and iPad app is hit or miss (mainly miss). It seems strange that it can access the library sometimes and not others.  My emails to Sonos Support haven’t been returned and I must assume they either don’t care about their users or the house is burning down and they’re too busy putting out fires to bother with a single user.  Either way, I won’t be likely to purchase future products unless they quickly resolve their app issues and send out an apology for the botched release (being transparent and humble goes a long way.). And this is coming from a ten plus year Sonos customer and advocate.

Userlevel 1

I grow increasingly angry with each passing day. How professionally irresponsible to knowingly allow an update that effectively precludes local library play. I’ve read all the convoluted rigs being proposed. Candidly, I didn’t pay a mint for these things to have do rigs tantamount to tin foil on rabbit ears!

Question: this update will clearly suck, the interface is a mess. I prefer that which was as it was simpler and cleaner. Can’t this make available the older version of app…in other words dial it back to the version that worked—if only to do so while they are working on fix?

Is there any way to broach this? I’ve called in this week and quickly hung up when I was told wait times were 75 and 45 minutes.

This is not acceptable.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’ve had success with accessing my music library through the web app and the desktop app.  The iPhone and iPad app is hit or miss (mainly miss). It seems strange that it can access the library sometimes and not others.  My emails to Sonos Support haven’t been returned and I must assume they either don’t care about their users or the house is burning down and they’re too busy putting out fires to bother with a single user.  Either way, I won’t be likely to purchase future products unless they quickly resolve their app issues and send out an apology for the botched release (being transparent and humble goes a long way.). And this is coming from a ten plus year Sonos customer and advocate.

I just tested the web app out on my office iMac (not trying it on my iPhone until they’ve delivered a patch that fixes things for NAD users like myself). So… I opened the web page and I see the two rooms I have set up in my house. I select my office and… A library shows up.  I scanned the list of Artists and noted that some of them were from our downstairs library and some from my office.  Not ideal. I tried to select an artist/group to see if I could play something and IT wouldn’t have it. I couldn’t select anything or scroll (I use a graphics tablet). I couldn’t play a thing.

My concern is this: if they were worried about security with NAD set-ups (USBs and other attached drives), why in the heck would you want to open up your system to a web site. Obviously, Sonos is accessing your Library in order to assemble bits and pieces of your music libraries that one sees via their Web App so… what would keep someone else from riding the train on Sonos’ connection??  Honestly, I’d rather just keep to my simple USB drive set-up as that’s what I prefer and that’s what has worked since 2014.

I’m holding out hope that Sonos will re-establish choices so that we can, indeed, choose how we use the products that we’ve spent a lot of money on.

They say they will have this personal library function back up by mid-June. Why would this take 6 weeks? It is entirely possible they are working through the programming and legal process of encrypting our music files to a Sonos only format network wide like iTunes did. The encryption program will likely be installed to run independent of the Sonos App and have a “corrective” program that will upload and reinstall the encryption if it is disabled. This way they can hold our music for ransom or even ruin/delete our music libraries. Sonos has demonstrated they are both capable and willing to take ownership of our systems and to force us to use kiddie-play marketing streaming services. 

While my Sonos system in its current state in not useable, I have taken the opportunity to tidy up my audio files and move them to a Linux machine and a cold (i.e. unplugged) drive. I will use a laptop that has never run Sonos to download any more music. This way, Sonos can encrypt all they like and never have access to my master library files. I strongly urge everyone to do likewise.

In the meantime, I am searching for a Linux based alternative like Kubi.

Nonsense.  It's all down to them disabling SMBv1 protocol support for file shares. Nothing to do with some secret encryption scheme.  That doesn't happen until they've got the black helicopters fired up and in the air. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just tested the web app out on my office iMac (not trying it on my iPhone until they’ve delivered a patch that fixes things for NAD users like myself). So… I opened the web page and I see the two rooms I have set up in my house. I select my office and… A library shows up.  I scanned the list of Artists and noted that some of them were from our downstairs library and some from my office.  Not ideal. I tried to select an artist/group to see if I could play something and IT wouldn’t have it. I couldn’t select anything or scroll (I use a graphics tablet). I couldn’t play a thing.

My concern is this: if they were worried about security with NAD set-ups (USBs and other attached drives), why in the heck would you want to open up your system to a web site. Obviously, Sonos is accessing your Library in order to assemble bits and pieces of your music libraries that one sees via their Web App so… what would keep someone else from riding the train on Sonos’ connection??  Honestly, I’d rather just keep to my simple USB drive set-up as that’s what I prefer and that’s what has worked since 2014.

I’m holding out hope that Sonos will re-establish choices so that we can, indeed, choose how we use the products that we’ve spent a lot of money on.

You might try the desktop app as well.  I am also concerned about how Sonos seems to want to route one’s music library through the cloud, but that appears to be part of the problem with the app design whether web based or not..

Earlier today, I updated the iPhone app (supposedly released yesterday) and it seems to be working (so far).  I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Userlevel 1

Agree 100% updates save for those needed to maintain support should be optional. During this time, the older platform should be made available for those like us that want to use the USB setup.

Sonos: is dialing back an update viable?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

You might try the desktop app as well.  I am also concerned about how Sonos seems to want to route one’s music library through the cloud, but that appears to be part of the problem with the app design whether web based or not..

Earlier today, I updated the iPhone app (supposedly released yesterday) and it seems to be working (so far).  I’ve got my fingers crossed.

My desktop (iMac) Sonos apps work since I reverted back to the S2 controller and followed kerz56’s Youtube link. I was just giving the Web App a go from a browser on my office iMac. Didn’t work. I, too, don’t understand or agree with the use of a web app where, as you say, we’re being routed through the cloud and, they’ve obviously gained access to our hard drives in order to show us our libraries - however incomplete they appear.

As for the mobile app, what specifically wasn’t working but NOW works since you installed the update? I’m too spooked to take that step considering they aren’t supposed to be addressing local music library fixes until “Mid-June” (according to their posted timeline)

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve had success with accessing my music library through the web app and the desktop app.  The iPhone and iPad app is hit or miss

As for the mobile app, what specifically wasn’t working but NOW works since you installed the update? I’m too spooked to take that step considering they aren’t supposed to be addressing local music library fixes until “Mid-June” (according to their posted timeline)

I spoke too soon.  I was able to access my library through the mobile app, but that function seems to have disappeared again.  Given we’re not hearing anything additional about the mid-June “enhancements”, I must take Sonos at their word which would indicate there’re merely going to make searching one library easier (if you can access it).

if you’re able to use the old app, I’d remain with it until it becomes unusable.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’ve had success with accessing my music library through the web app and the desktop app.  The iPhone and iPad app is hit or miss

I spoke too soon.  I was able to access my library through the mobile app, but that function seems to have disappeared again.  Given we’re not hearing anything additional about the mid-June “enhancements”, I must take Sonos at their word which would indicate there’re merely going to make searching one library easier (if you can access it).

if you’re able to use the old app, I’d remain with it until it becomes unusable.  

Sorry to hear that but, I appreciate you sharing the bad news. I’ll keep monitoring the traffic in here.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Like others I have spent a lot of money on Sonos products and it is bitterly disappointing to be in a position where I can no longer play music from the music library on my computer.  I’ve tried all the various workarounds I can find that have been suggested on the Web but none of them have worked.

The system has been unfit for purpose for several weeks now and can’t do what I purchased it for.  It’s like having a CD player that due to a software update can no longer play CD’s. 

Having to wait until mid June for a potential fix that people don’t seem confident will reinstate the functionality I need is unacceptable.  I’m not an IT person but can’t see why Sonos cannot give us the option to roll back to the previous software version while this is sorted out so that we can use what we paid for.

if the mid June update doesn’t fix the issue then I will be saying goodby to Sonos, selling the equipment for whatever I can get for it, and buying something else that works for me.