Skip to main content
Question

problems with new Sonos app

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

trying to adjust volumes is almost impossible and VERY VERY frustrating.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

when will these problems be fixed..?

373 replies

I spent a lot of hard earned money on my sonos equipment. I am 76, and listening to music is one of the few daily pleasures in my life.  A few weeks ago, the app on my Chromebook stopped working. I tried everything, to no avail. In the end I uninstalled the app.  I have used the sonos app on my chromebook for 8  (yes EIGHT) years without ever having one single hickup.  I am not a ‘techie’ and mentally simply cannot manage the technicalities required to keep the App working. Back-up and/or support is non existent.  So I used the app on my Android Samsung phone and was reasonable happy about the new situation. Till this morning, that is.  Now the App on my phone won’t work and therefore all advice and suggestions are totally useless because my App wont even switch on and says there is a bug.  What this means is that in the last 9 years, I have purchased $9500 on Sonos gear. All down the drain. I won’t even mention the value of legally purched and downloaded music, to witch I also have no more access .  What can I do?  Sofar there is no assitance and the speakers are a very nice looking heap of unuseable junk.

I would like to get some straight for ward advice from somebody with a little empathy, rather than the silent and non existent communications from the ‘Sonos Team’ (Do they actually exist?)  Maybe we should club together and start a class act against Sonos for not supplying the service we purchased in good faith.  Anybody!      HELP????

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If all advice and suggestions are totally useless then it’s going to be hard to give advice and suggestions…But I’ll give it a foolhardy try.

There was a system update recently that made the Sonos app on Android malfunction. Maybe your system has just updated. There was an app update on Monday that fixed that, so first ensure you are using the very latest version of the app from the Play Store.

If you absolutely know you are using the latest app, have you tried uninstalling the app, turning off your phone, back on, and reinstalling the app?

(There won't be a class action, even if you put it in bold.)

I would like to get some straight for ward advice from somebody with a little empathy, rather than the silent and non existent communications from the ‘Sonos Team’ (Do they actually exist?)  Maybe we should club together and start a class act against Sonos for not supplying the service we purchased in good faith.  Anybody!      HELP????

There is an update to the Android app that allegedly fixes the crashing issue. You should check for that in the Google play store. 

for your Chromebook you can use the new web app. It will take some getting used to and yes it is still buggy and not 100% reliable- but you should try. Go to this web address in Chrome and use your Sonos id and password to log in:

play.Sonos.com

Every time I open the app, yes, I can force-stop it to fix it, but I shouldn't need to!

Get this ALL the time! Drives me insane.

Same with my iPhone app it's ridiculous any help would be appreciated i have to wait as least 10min before the app works. 

Same with my iPhone app it's ridiculous any help would be appreciated i have to wait as least 10min before the app works. 

The first posts here are 2 months old and there has been almost no progress since then. (And I’m listening the same song for the 4th time as I couldn’t change the list for the past 10 minutes.)

Glad to see the mountain of negative feedback on the Sonos app has finally led to a statement from the CEO who now promises to fix the issues. However, action speaks louder than words. I like many others await the outcome of their actions. Nevertheless, it is shameful Sonos users have been let down so badly, consumer confidence has been shattered! While the CEO starts his letter with an apology, there is no mention of what he will do to address the incompetence endured by users or how he will prevent a recurrence. Sonos should not lose sight of the adage…”trust takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair”. Restoring trust means doing the right things and do things the right way. 

Badge

So glad I never moved from S1 app - Sonos as a company certainly seems to have gone downhill from the early days when tech support were so reactive - I remember one Christmas Day when I had an issue and somebody was there! 

I never submit comments or reviews as I see enough people already delivering comments I would make.  However with this new app update I feel compelled to share my frustration with the company I have strongly supported and influenced so many people to purchase.  I have literally converted all my family members and friends to Sonos.   Many times being the one that helped them set it up.   

I feel this latest software update was incredibly irresponsible for Sonos to release without full testing, which clearly didn’t take place.   I have had all the problems people have mentioned-

system not found

devices no longer found

asking me if I want to add existing devices to my system

sound cutting out

volume and song changes slow or just unresponsive

it really has made the system miserable and frustrating to use.  If not unusable.  

I have spent hours trying to remedy these problems and I am still working on it.  I received countless calls from  all of those that I recommended your product to. 

An apology letter from the CEO just doesn’t cut it.  You should reinstate the old app until you have a fully tested upgrade available.  I also feel that you should offer your loyal customers a make good for the frustration and the countless hours that have put into trying to fix this.  I would recommend at least the doubling of upgrade discount that you previously ran, making it 30%.   Just saying sorry and we are working toward upgrading the software does not seem right.   

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Pretty unbelievable they still have not rolled back this awful app update.

We said we didn’t want to wait or be subject to their development timeline to re-gain features we previously had, and they shoved their timeline in our face.

They then missed their own deadlines due to problems only we foresaw.

In the end, treating your paying customers of a premium product as live beta-testers was unacceptable 2 months ago, and simply gets MORE UNACCEPTABLE every single minute that passes. 

Sonos team, you might think the finish line is getting closer, but the urgency to roll back this awful update is what’s growing exponentially. Time is ticking. 

ROLL BACK THE APP UPDATE, ASAP.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This is driving me crazy seeing this almost all the time. System turns off for no reason, can’t keep resetting it all ..I’m literally wasting my life trying to deal with this stuff. This was a good speaker but it’s beyond a pia now. It’s also become a joke. Not fit for purpose , despite the message from the CEO it really is a monumental mess. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I never submit comments or reviews as I see enough people already delivering comments I would make.  However with this new app update I feel compelled to share my frustration with the company I have strongly supported and influenced so many people to purchase.  I have literally converted all my family members and friends to Sonos.   Many times being the one that helped them set it up.   

I feel this latest software update was incredibly irresponsible for Sonos to release without full testing, which clearly didn’t take place.   I have had all the problems people have mentioned-

system not found

devices no longer found

asking me if I want to add existing devices to my system

sound cutting out

volume and song changes slow or just unresponsive

it really has made the system miserable and frustrating to use.  If not unusable.  

I have spent hours trying to remedy these problems and I am still working on it.  I received countless calls from  all of those that I recommended your product to. 

An apology letter from the CEO just doesn’t cut it.  You should reinstate the old app until you have a fully tested upgrade available.  I also feel that you should offer your loyal customers a make good for the frustration and the countless hours that have put into trying to fix this.  I would recommend at least the doubling of upgrade discount that you previously ran, making it 30%.   Just saying sorry and we are working toward upgrading the software does not seem right.   

Sorry but why would you upgrade even with a discount? We are all unpaid invested trial lab rats in this farce. Why get in deeper?  

Hello!  First off, I would like to say that I have been a loyal customer to Sonos for about 8 years now.  We have the Playbar, Surround Sound Play 1’s, Sub, and several other Play 1’s and Play 5’s throughout our house.  We have enjoyed it thoroughly over the years and use it on a daily basis.  I can’t say enough about how much we have enjoyed the products and the audio quality… up until recently when the new app was pushed.  Ever since the new app (seems like about 3 weeks ago now? time is flying sorry), we have had non-stop connectivity issues, volume issues, songs not playing after when try to play them and even some of the speakers sound blown/crackly sometimes now.  This is extremely troublesome as we have spent a lot on what we felt was a superior product and am now having trouble trying to get our system back up and going.  Thankfully the playbar still works since its direct connected to the TV but the remaining 9+ speakers in our house are no longer reliable and are working randomly.  The buttons on them work, when I press play on the speaker it starts, but we can’t get it to play from the app anymore.  I will try to play music on them and it will get stuck on the spinning play wheel or it wont pickup speakers in our house sometimes.  This was NEVER an issue on the old app, not once in years did we run into any issues over hundreds and hundreds of hours of music played.  Is there anyway to roll-back this app to the old one?  Is there any hope for future functionality?  I tried calling in and I’m sorry I am not waiting on hold for 1-2 hours.  I tried the chat feature which didn’t help.  I have all of the devices updated and my phone app is up to date as of yesterday evening 7/31/24.  Still having issues… extremely frustrated and now leery of buying future products from Sonos.

Spent1 hr 30mins speaking to Sonos.We have a new router,can’t connect.Eventually got connected n

but only with an Ethernet cable.Now I can use the speaker in my broom cupboard 😂

Sonos tell me it will be at least another month till they fix their issues.I have disconnected the speaker.put it in a cupboard until Sonos sort themselves out.I am now the owner of a lovely Pure DAB + radio😁

Userlevel 1

Hello!  First off, I would like to say that I have been a loyal customer to Sonos for about 8 years now.  We have the Playbar, Surround Sound Play 1’s, Sub, and several other Play 1’s and Play 5’s throughout our house.  We have enjoyed it thoroughly over the years and use it on a daily basis.  I can’t say enough about how much we have enjoyed the products and the audio quality… up until recently when the new app was pushed.  Ever since the new app (seems like about 3 weeks ago now? time is flying sorry), we have had non-stop connectivity issues, volume issues, songs not playing after when try to play them and even some of the speakers sound blown/crackly sometimes now.  This is extremely troublesome as we have spent a lot on what we felt was a superior product and am now having trouble trying to get our system back up and going.  Thankfully the playbar still works since it’s direct connected to the TV but the remaining 9+ speakers in our house are no longer reliable and are working randomly.  The buttons on them work, when I press play on the speaker it starts, but we can’t get it to play from the app anymore.  I will try to play music on them and it will get stuck on the spinning play wheel or it wont pickup speakers in our house sometimes.  This was NEVER an issue on the old app, not once in years did we run into any issues over hundreds and hundreds of hours of music played.  Is there anyway to roll-back this app to the old one?  Is there any hope for future functionality?  I tried calling in and I’m sorry I am not waiting on hold for 1-2 hours.  I tried the chat feature which didn’t help.  I have all of the devices updated and my phone app is up to date as of yesterday evening 7/31/24.  Still having issues… extremely frustrated and now leery of buying future products from Sonos.

Userlevel 1

I had similar problems to everyone until recently. I “factory reset” all my speakers and reloaded them into the app and miracle of miracles. Everything now works as before. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I had similar problems to everyone until recently. I “factory reset” all my speakers and reloaded them into the app and miracle of miracles. Everything now works as before. 

I’m glad there are others whose systems now work too. I’ve taken a right beating on here for having the audacity to have a system that has no issues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Dear Patrick 

I spend hours trying to sort out Sonos and Alexa. Get your backside out to the customers and listen to their issues with this stuff. I haven’t got 45 mins to wait on the phone and your Bot says no one to chat too in tech help on a Monday morning. What  a monumental FUp this all is. 

yes I’m beyond baffled, angry and tired of this speaker that used to be really good. Cannot link Alexa anymore. Bin?!??

I can't believe that I spent so much money on these speakers and I can't play anything on them. I have very good wifi and the app consistently tells me not connected and all speakers are are stuck on minus 1 for volume. When I try to play any stations the I keep getting a circle spinning trying to connect. Biggest waste of money I ever spent. I would not recommend Sonos to anyone. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I finally wrote to Patrick CEO. He has a direct email account!!! On the main website.

of course he isn’t going to read it even though he says he does otherwise he would not be a CEO but if you don’t action something then action won’t happen. It’s brave ( or incredibly stupid) to do this but it shows that they do have a measure of how serious this whole farce has become. Write to him as well as sticking it on a forum. You may well press the right button before the ship sinks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I finally wrote to Patrick CEO. He has a direct email account!!! 

No he doesn’t. It’s an email address to make you feel better. 

if you don’t action something then action won’t happen. 

They are already actioning the fixes. I really don’t know what you hope to achieve by throwing pebbles into the sea. 

We’re able to use the app, thankfully.   What baffles us, however, is the awfulness of the updated app’s GUI.  There’s just too much stuff shoved onto the screen.  The previous version of the app had a clean interface. 

Diary entry- Day 15001 reset the Sonos this morning… I have to reset all speaks each day hook back to the system…

it’s been weeks n weeks, when is a fix arriving?

the other issue with control, meh I use Spotify no issues with it .

but the network issues! What the actual hell? This last release. If you have more than two units plugged in it creates a network storm. Literally kills everything on the network. I’ve had to turn it all off people. 

Id love an open source project opened by Sonos, let the community show you how to code 😂 but seriously. Sort it the F! Out. Who is the lead on the coding / app side. Sack them first. 

no mods either? Any replies to anyone?

Userlevel 2

I finally wrote to Patrick CEO. He has a direct email account!!! 

No he doesn’t. It’s an email address to make you feel better. 

if you don’t action something then action won’t happen. 

They are already actioning the fixes. I really don’t know what you hope to achieve by throwing pebbles into the sea. 

You probably don’t achieve anything when throwing pebbles into the sea, either literally or figuratively.

It can be quite calming though.

And the experience is very seldom ruined by a poorly-formed App.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Diary entry- Day 15001 reset the Sonos this morning… I have to reset all speaks each day hook back to the system…

it’s been weeks n weeks, when is a fix arriving?

the other issue with control, meh I use Spotify no issues with it .

but the network issues! What the actual hell? This last release. If you have more than two units plugged in it creates a network storm. Literally kills everything on the network. I’ve had to turn it all off people. 

Id love an open source project opened by Sonos, let the community show you how to code 😂 but seriously. Sort it the F! Out. Who is the lead on the coding / app side. Sack them first. 

no mods either? Any replies to anyone?

Presumably you do have one Sonos device plugged in via ethernet? If you power off *all* of the other Sonos devices apart from the one plugged in, does it show up in the app?