Skip to main content
Question

Problems accessing NAS drive after update

After finally biting the bullet and updating all my Sonos apps, I’m having issues accessing my MyCloud NAS drive which I use to host my music library.

WIndows desktop app and web version can access and play music from NAS, all be it that Windows desktop shows album art but web version doesn't.

Android app seems to recognise music library but says something went wrong when trying to find or play anything.

IOS app doesn’t even recognise music library at all.

Path to music library is same on all apps.

Andy ideas what’s going on?

17 replies

Userlevel 1

I was on live chat with SONOS for the same issue. Apparently, NAS drive support is STILL not enabled in the latest update! It is the eternal “To Be Continued” that seems to be the mantra of the new and “improved” SONOS.

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is this company thinking about? A vast proportion of Sonos customers store their music files on NAS drives. I trust they are making this particular issue a number 1 priority. Just how long do they think we are prepared to wait?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Came across this thread as it’s mentioning the same topic I have regarding the music library.  The latest version of the Android app does have the music library configuration screen (or it does appear sometimes), but it’s not working.  After installing the latest July release of the app, I expected to it pick up the music library config from my Sonos system.  At least that’s what the Windows version of the software does when I open it on my PC or laptop.  But after installing and uninstalling the app from my phone a few times, it doesn’t.  The Sonos Support page now states that “Implementing Music Library configuration, browse, search, and play” will appear across July and August.  That’s poor, as it was originally due in June.
In the meantime I installed Plex on my NAS and that’s fixed the issue. Thank you Plex for releasing software that works.

Just updated to the latest Android app version 80.05.07 released earlier today and I STILL can't access my music library which is hosted on a WD MyCloud NAS drive…

Does anybody have a definitive answer as to when this will be fixed as the help and guidance still shows this:

Add your NAS drive to Sonos

Sonos app for iOS or Android
Sonos app version 80.0
This setting is not currently available in the Sonos app for iOS or Android, but it will return in a future update.

As a temporary workaround, please use the Sonos app for macOS or Windows to manage and update your music library.

I have the correct share path in Sonos settings but still get Music Library not found when asking Sonos to detect it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m still getting the same with my Synology NAS also. Music library settings are there and correct, but when I click any of the options for music library (Artists, Albums, Folders, etc...) I still get “Something went wrong”.

This mess with the upgrade to version 80… since early May should go down in text books as a classic examples of “how not to release software” and “how not to treat your consumers”.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Is the WD MyCloud using SMB v1?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am using the Windows version of Sonos and I’m still unable to connect to my local NAS after this issue was supposed to be fixed with the latest update.  It is still requesting a username and password of which I have entered correctly and it still fails to connect. How long to we have to wait to get our Library back?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is your NAS on SMBv1 or higher?

Is the WD MyCloud using SMB v1?

No it's using 2 & 3

Userlevel 3
Badge

It’s an old Buffalo NAS. How do I determine the SMB version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, can’t help you with that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The NAS forums,  support site or manual may have settings information.

It’s usually available as an option on the web page to control the NAS….although I’ll admit it has been 10 years since I used a Buffalo. As suggested, reading the manual is a good start to figuring out where it is and if it’s possible. Note, however, you may need to update the software running your Buffalo. 

Just updated to the latest Android app version 80.05.07 released earlier today and I STILL can't access my music library which is hosted on a WD MyCloud NAS drive…

Does anybody have a definitive answer as to when this will be fixed as the help and guidance still shows this:

Add your NAS drive to Sonos

Sonos app for iOS or Android
Sonos app version 80.0
This setting is not currently available in the Sonos app for iOS or Android, but it will return in a future update.

As a temporary workaround, please use the Sonos app for macOS or Windows to manage and update your music library.

I have the correct share path in Sonos settings but still get Music Library not found when asking Sonos to detect it.

Under the guidance for Add your NAS drive to Sonos, the “this setting is not currently available in the Sonos app…” has now gone which implies that after making sure that all apps are running the latest version that I should now be able to access my Music Library on my WD MyCloud NAS drive…..er, no….still can’t…..

I can access it on the web controller and on the Windows app but STILL getting Music Library not found on Android and IOS apps. Am I going mad or is this still a fix that we are waiting for yet another update before this will finally be resolved?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @PhilP1959, just to make sure I understand what you are seeing ...

• You were able to add your Music Library using the Windows app
  • You can play tunes from your Music Library using the Windows app and the Web app
  • You do not see your Music Library on the Android and iOS apps

… is that correct? What is the sequence of taps that produces the message “Musing Library not found”?

If you’ve not already done so, consider performing a system update to ensure you are running the latest v16.3.1 firmware. FWIW, some users report that the latest firmware helped fix their Music Library.

Hi @PhilP1959, just to make sure I understand what you are seeing ...

• You were able to add your Music Library using the Windows app
  • You can play tunes from your Music Library using the Windows app and the Web app
  • You do not see your Music Library on the Android and iOS apps

… is that correct? What is the sequence of taps that produces the message “Musing Library not found”?

If you’ve not already done so, consider performing a system update to ensure you are running the latest v16.3.1 firmware. FWIW, some users report that the latest firmware helped fix their Music Library.

Prior to the May update, I have had no issues accessing my Music Library on the WD MyCloud NAS using the Android, IOS, Windows and Web apps.

All apps and firmware are fully up to date.

I can still access my Music Library on the Windows and Web apps but not on the Android or IOS apps.

I have input the shared path on the Android and IOS app settings. It lets me add it but when I ask Sonos to detect my Music Library it says not found. I have performed multiple router, speaker, system and app reboots but still no Music Library access in Android or IOS.

Still not sorted access to my local Music Library so have resorted to using a casting app called HiFi Cast. It seems to work OK, not perfect as it means faffing with 2 apps but it at least means I can use my phone to play my music again. Shouldn't have to resort to this type of fix but needs must!