Answered

playing wrong stream?

Recently I’ve had an issue where I select a streaming radio station, let’s say CBC (I’m in Canada), it will play a different radio station, often one that was playing before like KEXP. It will display the graphic from the radio station I’ve selected but play a completely different stream.

Usually if I stop and close the app and re-open it it seems to realize what’s going on and play the correct stream but it often takes a couple of tries. I’ve been using Sonos for quite a few years and this is a new issue.

Has anybody else had this happen? 

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 29 March 2023, 13:19

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @ECSmith, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve seen your post in another thread with a similar issue and I would ask the same questions that were asked in that thread to help figure out what the issue is, which are:

How is the system connected to your network?

Do you have any devices nearby your Sonos speakers that could be causing wireless interference?

Does this happen with other music sources? 

Closing the app shouldn’t cause any changes, unless you initiate playback when you open the app back up, as the App is just a way to control the system.

I’d recommend submitting a diagnostics when it occurs and replying here with the confirmation number so I can have a look into your system and you can also reach out to our support team for some live troubleshooting.

I hope this information helps!

I’ve been having the same issue recently — maybe the last month or two. I’m using the S1 app, as all my Sonos gear is 1st gen. I suspect the problem started with an app update, as it seemed to start around the same time I started getting the nag banner to upgrade to S2 (which I can’t do with all 1st gen equipment, and the Sonos app should be smart enough to quit asking).

Sometimes (I think) selecting the station from my history would play the right one, when selecting it from the list of stations would not. Restarting the Sonos units didn’t fix it, and neither did restarting the app or rebooting my iPad. I think I mostly fixed it, at least temporarily, by deleting my radio stations and re-adding them, but it still happens occasionally.

Edit: In fact, it is happening now, as I write this. I selected WFMU and it is playing KFJC. Both are listed as “Sonos Radio Station” in my favorites. Now Playing says it is playing WFMU, but it’s not.

Have you provided data via a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

That way, the Support folks would be able to have hard data to pass on to the engineers to investigate the issue, as most engineers I know don’t like ‘anecdotal’ bugs with no data to back them up. 

@Airgetlam, not sure if you’re asking me or @ECSmith, but I have not done any of that yet. I’m still at the stage of looking for solutions that others may have discovered, which is why I’m in the forum.

I found some advice to add station URLs into TuneIn directly, to avoid the preroll ads, and those stations have been playing correctly so far. So if that works I won’t need to go to Sonos Support, but I’m willing to assist with data should it happen again.

Hi @ECSmith, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve seen your post in another thread with a similar issue and I would ask the same questions that were asked in that thread to help figure out what the issue is, which are:

Do you have any devices nearby your Sonos speakers that could be causing wireless interference?

Closing the app shouldn’t cause any changes, unless you initiate playback when you open the app back up, as the App is just a way to control the system.

I’d recommend submitting a diagnostics when it occurs and replying here with the confirmation number so I can have a look into your system and you can also reach out to our support team for some live troubleshooting.

Hi sorry for the slow reply, Gmail was sending the updates to Spam, Sheesh.

The issue seems to be with TuneIn Radio only. The other services don't do it - ie Spotify is fine -  and nothing has changed in my Sonos set up since this started happening, so it’s not an issue with nearby devices etc. I’m happy to send in a diagnostics report and will do so next time it happens.

Thanks!

I have experienced a similar issue. I'm on the S2 app. All devices are on WiFi and within close proximity to AP, don't think it is a wireless issue, haven't experienced other playback issues.

Diagnostic is: 675084743

Thanks,

Russ

Hi Jamie, my diagnostics number is 905038140. TuneIn was super weird this morning, hopefully it will show why.

Thanks,

I’ve had this same problem with TuneIn for about 2 months.  On May 1st I submitted two different diagnostics when the problem was occurring.  The diagnostics numbers for those instances are 1252380564 and 1639007432.  I called Sonos customer support on May 4th when I was having the same problem.  He instructed me to do various things while he was watching on his end.  I have a Boost that is connected to my modem via a Sonos provided cable.  He told me the cable was faulty.  Just to confirm that diagnosis he had me plug the same cable directly into one of my Sonos speakers - bypassing the Boost.  He came up with the same diagnosis - faulty cable and that I needed to get a new cable.  I have tried a total of 3 different cables - all provided by Sonos and I continue to have the same problem.  I find it hard to believe that 3 different cables (all provided by Sonos) are faulty.  The cables provided to me all came with various components I’ve purchased from Sonos.  Either Sonos is doing a poor job of sourcing (or manufacturing) these cables or the cables aren’t the problem and the problem is in the Sonos system somewhere.  The Sonos customer service rep told me to reference this number if i continue to have problems - 04956841.     

Sonos - i’ve provided you with 3 different numbers to research this issue.  There are 2 other diagnostics numbers listed earlier in this thread -  675084743 and 905038140.   You’ve either got a problem with the cables you provide or some sort of system problem.  You market yourself as a provider of top quality products. That hasn’t been my experience.  Last year my play 5 just quit working for no reason.  That left me wondering why i spent $500 for that speaker.  Now i’m either stuck with faulty cables provided by you or stuck with a faulty Sonos app.  It leaves me wondering if those of us who have older components that were purchased (when the S1 app was in place) are being left out in the cold.  Please figure this out.  

Hi @ECSmith, welcome to the Sonos Community!

UPDATE TuneIn seems to have settled down and is working reliably now. I’m not getting the old streams anymore, and it has been connecting fine. Thanks.

Userlevel 2

I have this issue sine approx 2 months. TuneIn plays the wrong stream 2 out of 3 times or so. What is the resolution?

Yes I submitted my diagnostics and I’m still getting this issue on occasion (although maybe 1 out of 10). It’s definitely a bug in TuneIn, it doesn’t happen anywhere else (eg Spotify or my music).

E

I’m curious as to what Sonos said after you submitted your diagnostic and called in?

I’m curious as to what Sonos said after you submitted your diagnostic and called in?

I didn’t phone them, they didn’t ask me to do that and as you note, engineers don’t like anecdotal feedback anyway. The answer is I’ve had no response.

If you read the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, they won’t reach out to you, you need to reach out via phone to Sonos Support .

Anecdotal feedback, when supported by a diagnostic, is likely exactly what they want, so they can look in the diagnostic for reasons of the behaviors in your anecdote. 

Im having this problem as well. Is there a solution already?

Have the same issue - seems to play the last station.   Also observed that all speakers are ungrouped when the router is rebooted.   Sonos only works here when plugged into the router.  Used to be a great product when they first came out, but kind of laughable now.   Support is a waste of time - it's always your router or interference even when the sonos is only a few feet from the router and there is no interference.

I have the same problem. When starting a radio station Sonos will seem to play the chosen station but actually play another - typically the last one playing. I have to retry 2-3 times before the correct one plays. 

I have the same problem as well, is there any resolution to this?

Same problem here. Did anyone manage to resolve it ?

Same issue recently and today. Always TuneIn, reverts to prior stream but says it’s playing what I picked. 

Same here. My wife is listening music from a music streaming app now since choosing a radio station from tunein or sonos radio is randomly choosing a station.

we are about to kick out all Sonos devices. How can you not fix the problem within months? As a workaround let us choose the streaming url ourselves. Why do I need tuneine or sonos radio anyway to listen to a local radio from nowhere city?

It is just so annoying.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’ve been having the same issue, often playing the prior stream though the selected one is showing on the screen, with multiple S2 controllers on always-connected tablets, 9 speakers/devices, with one S1 wired to router through an unmanaged switch acting as SonosNet hub with WiFi disabled (WM: 0). Another symptom: blank Recently Played list with the “information isn’t available right now” message. And the station logo/icon may fail to show on one or another controller.

On another topic entirely: Please, please, PLEASE add an option to have S2 default back to the Now Playing screen a few seconds after choosing source.

Userlevel 2

same here. When starting a radio station Sonos will seem to play the chosen station but actually play another - typically the last one playing. I have to retry 2-3 times before the correct one plays. All of my gear is are Sonos One (Gen2)’s and the problem occurs whether I am using phone app or MacOS app. Any chance Sonos will fix this bug?

Moderation Edit: Removed hyperlink.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Still having the problem. Seems related to using a slow tablet running S2, as if the app gets the PLAY command out to the players before the command to choose the selected stream, so it plays the prior one instead. Particularly annoying when I want to wake up to a news feed and get music instead. Lets hope the NEW version of S2 is better about checking the post-command status of the group.

As near as I can tell (and we’ll find out tomorrow), the ‘new S2’ is merely a UI refresh, and not a rewrite of the base operating system. 

It does sound like you’re experiencing network issues, though. Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.