Playing music

Is anybody else bothered by the fact after paying a pretty expensive price for these speakers you then have to pay again to some subscription music service just to listen to music? Seems like for how much each one of these speakers cost (play 5) there should be some way to to actually use the speakers without having to pay for monthly fee. 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is anybody else bothered by the fact after paying a pretty expensive price for these speakers you then have to pay again to some subscription music service just to listen to music? Seems like for how much each one of these speakers cost (play 5) there should be some way to to actually use the speakers without having to pay for monthly fee. 

Nope; it doesn’t bother me. 

Incidentally, I have set up my music library so I can listen to any music I’ve bought in the past, and I listen to many free radio stations. I also have a subscription with amazon music. 

You can also play from many free streaming services. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’ve ripped all my CD’s onto a Network Storage linked to Sonos (A pc drive will work too) and use that.  After all I have paid for them.  Ripped them years ago and just rip as I buy new CDs(yes I do still buy CD’s, I’m old fashioned and like to own the media I’ve bought and better support the artists.)

For listening to new stuff I have Spotify Free which can be used on Sonos, with ads of course.

Two options that require no paid subscription.

I’m sure that the artists and engineers (and all others in support) that produce the music we listen to need to keep a roof over their heads aswell - So I’m happy to pay what really is a pittance (on the scale of things) of £100-£150 approx. (per year) to be able to listen to millions of tracks at the drop of a hat 24/7. The service is worth every penny and I hope my small contribution goes towards helping those who choose a career in the music business.

So I’m happy to pay what really is a pittance (on the scale of things) of £100-£150 approx. (per year) to be able to listen to millions of tracks at the drop of a hat 24/7

That pretty much says it all; and in my case at least, this is also offset much more by what I now save on buying CDs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s a couple of free options, some are funded by adds though, so you pay in time.

Something in your reasoning does not really ad up for me. Would you also have a problem with the producer of a turntable because you still have to buy records? Or having to pay for Netflix or cable when buying a TV?

No, I’m not bothered because I actually realize that selling audio hardware/software has absolutely nothing to do with the licensing and distribution costs of the audio content you play on the hardware, nor should it. 

None of the streaming services YouTube Spotify Amazon music work unless you pay for their premium subscription every time I try and play anything out of my Sonos play five I can't look up any artists, it grays out all of my playlists and I'm only allowed to use the Sonos stations It just seems that if I buy a speaker I should be able to like listen to music out of it not just the music Sono says I can on their particular stations

None of the streaming services YouTube Spotify Amazon music work unless you pay for their premium subscription every time I try and play anything out of my Sonos play five I can't look up any artists, it grays out all of my playlists and I'm only allowed to use the Sonos stations It just seems that if I buy a speaker I should be able to like listen to music out of it not just the music Sono says I can on their particular stations

That has nothing to do with Sonos.  Indeed, Sonos makes no money from 3rd party services.  Each music service sets their own rules, and they aren't in the business of giving things away, and furthermore, they must pay the music rights owners.  Besides, there are several free services.  The free tiers of Pandora, Sonos Radio, and Spotify are all ad supported. 

Just asking . . . Exactly how do you think the publishing and distribution rights owners are supposed to be paid if you are streaming music for free with no ads?

It is incredibly hard to parse that run on sentence. 

I think I can interpret that the speaker’s firmware doesn’t match the controller that you’re running, but that is a complete guess based on what I think is your search issue. 

Are you using S1 or S2? Which version of the PLAY:5 are you using? Which service(s) are you trying to search in? Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss the issues you’re running in to?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

It is incredibly hard to parse that run on sentence. 

I think I can interpret that the speaker’s firmware doesn’t match the controller that you’re running, but that is a complete guess based on what I think is your search issue. 

Are you using S1 or S2? Which version of the PLAY:5 are you using? Which service(s) are you trying to search in? Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss the issues you’re running in to?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

I don’t think the OP has a support problem.  They are unhappy that a paid subscription is required to play jukebox style services on the Sonos platform.  

Honestly, it is really hard to tell what is in that post. But I’ll buy that. And step out ;)