Play 1 won't connect to WiFi

• 22 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Internet provider replaced blown modem - Play 1 no longer connects to WiFi. I turned off “steering mode” (which combined 2.4G and 5G signal) and disabled the 5G.  I can get through all steps and it connects, but immediately drops and errors.  I’ve spent 2 days and 3 calls/live chats with service (last time they hung up on me and never called back).  Does anyone have any ideas?  I’ve already done factory resets, reboots (speaker and modem several times) and set up new device 3 times. It WILL connect with ethernet but I don’t want it in that room...

Considering selling it because I can’t play iTunes through it anymore and I don’t want Apple Music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Submit a diagnostic through the Sonos app and post the confirmation number here.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dla27 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! I’m sorry you had problems with calling in.

You mention a modem, but make no mention of a router. Was it the router that was replaced? In this case, all you need to do is update Sonos with the new WiFi credentials. See our Connect Sonos to a new router or Wi-Fi network help page.

If it was indeed only a modem that was replaced, you’d likely need to reboot your router afterwards for things to go well - you make no mention of doing this, so I want to make sure you try. Plus, there’s really no other reason why the speaker wouldn’t connect to the same router that it connected to before.

Did you have a storm? Is that why the modem failed? If so, it may have harmed other devices too (the router or the speaker).

@GuitarSuperstar I did this with support 3 times and they found no issues with the speaker itself. 

@Corry P router/modem all in one, and I have done all of those steps several times.  No other devices harmed and support checked the speaker already and nothing is damaged.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dla27 

Looking at your diagnostics, it seems the Play:1 is having no problems with connecting to your WiFi - it’s just that when it does so, it cannot communicate with the Sonos app running on your device. You should be able to confirm this by accessing the connected clients list on your router’s configuration pages - you’ll see a device labelled Sonos_ZP connected to 2.4GHz. I suspect you may even find that a computer wired to ethernet will connect to the speaker while the speaker is wireless (the router is allowing LAN-to-WiFi communications, but not WiFi-to-WiFi).

This is certainly a router configuration issue, which makes sense, as it’s the only thing that has changed. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team via phone, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to examine this possibility and fix it for you.

Should you wish to try yourself, please ensure that the WiFi you are using does not have Wireless Isolation (or similar) activated and that it is not a Guest WiFi. If you have QoS (Quality of Service) turned on, please disable it. Please also check for firmware updates available for the router.

I hope this helps.

@Corry P no guest WiFi, isolation is disabled, I peeked in Advanced toolbox and did not see QoS anywhere and I don’t want to dig too far in there

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dla27 

I am unfamiliar with your router so I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to investigate this for you. The settings in the screenshot are fine.