Answered

On device music no longer available

Badge +1

I’ve got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8A - with local music stored on it - i give the Sonos app access as it requests during first selection of ‘On the Mobile Device’.

I can browse albums/artists/songs, can see cover art etc. but as when i select an album is just races through them “xxxx” is no longer available on Samsung SM-T290.

I’ve done this exact setup before on another Tab 8A - same music etc. and it works fine, so i know its not a problem with the files.

Any advice greatly appreciated as this setup has no music services, other than Sonos Radio/Tune In so are stuck with a limited selection...

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 8 October 2020, 00:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Dean Barrett.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post here, let me help and try to figure this out.

If this only happens on this specific mobile device, there must be something with the files specifically and the metadata.

Generally, any issues with how the music is organized are going to depend on the metadata associated with the files and their storage location.

How were the files on your Android imported/downloaded? 

Kindly provide the OS version of the Android device affected?

I'd like to take a look at some data from your system. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number and I’ll check it out for you.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Badge +1

Thanks Annazel

Submitted diagnostics - 1367902075

Files were copied over from PC to Tab via usb lead - i’ve used the same files on other tabs devices no problem.

This Tab has Android OS 10 - I imagine the other Tabs in use are running older versions as setup earlier this year and last year.

Diagnostics is from S1 as now connected to Sonos in my office. S2 which is what the Tab will be ultimately using as new equipment showed same error message.

In the meantime i will delete all the music and try it again. 

Thanks

Dean

Badge +1

@Annazel S Have deleted files and reinstalled - still same.

Have copied files from a USB stick to it, still same issue.

These are all files which definitely work on other Galaxy Tabs

There are a couple of threads in the Community covering the Android problem. Maybe you can find a solution here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/s2-android-music-on-device-not-working-6848945

Badge +1

Have just connected to another PC copy different selection of mp3 files and again these show cover art but then say not available.

I have had to uninstall and reinstall S1 as it would not allow me to clear queue kept showing unable to remove all items and never cleared any of them…

Badge +1

There are a couple of threads in the Community covering the Android problem. Maybe you can find a solution here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/s2-android-music-on-device-not-working-6848945

Cheers Claus - seems like its a known issue to Sonos, with no timeline to fix..

Need to hunt down old versions to get this fixed then

Have just connected to another PC copy different selection of mp3 files and again these show cover art but then say not available.

Why not set up a Sonos Music Library pointing to the files on your PC and just use the phone as a controller? This is how Sonos was designed to play local content.

Badge +1

Why not set up a Sonos Music Library pointing to the files on your PC and just use the phone as a controller? This is how Sonos was designed to play local content.

Unfortunately these are being used in a show house on a construction site with no internet nor PC.

Our clients bought a load of CD’s we ripped them, then put them onto a Galaxy Tab for them to play in multiple rooms in the house.

I’ve got a TPLink WAP with usb port coming tomorrow, i’m going to put music on a USB stick and hopefully Sonos will recognise is as a music library...

That should work.  One thing I would suggest you watch out for is the versions of system and controller getting out of line. The system won't be able to update as there is no Internet connection.  To prevent the Galaxy tab updating the Sonos app over 4G you need to turn off automatic updates in the Google Play Store for the Galaxy tab . Or turn off mobile data.

You need to make sure the versions are compatible before you do this of course. 

I'm having the same exact issue . 

Cleared app data/cache

Uninstall/reinstalled

Music is from Amazon music downloaded to device .

Same scenario as you . It shows available in library after granting permission, the album covers all there and when I click one it runs down the entire list saying no longer available on Samsung xxxxx

The music plays fine from my Samsung music folder and from the Amazon app. 

Very clear to me that this is yet another issue with Sonos. I already can't update to the new app because it doesn't support my play 3 . Now I can't listen to music I paid for on the 2000 dollars worth of equipment I have .

Play bar,sub,play 1, play 3 ,play 5,sonos one

This is typical Sonos ****. Poorly written code, poorly executed roll out - for a relatively expensive solution they are crap - wish I didn’t have so much money tied up in them so I could just dump them… but that’s probably part of their marketing strategy - it certainly is part of their lousy QA.

If anyone comes up with a solution - please let everyone else know - right now it looks like android 10 is out of the question.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*