Skip to main content

Official intel from Sonos re. latest software disaster

• 24 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Here’s what I learned from a helpful, patient Level 2 Sonos tech today after I called to report the fact that I cannot play any content from my music library through Sonos:

Win 10, iOS app:

The problem of not being able to play from clients’ music libraries is now officially recognised by Sonos.  After the tech rebooted my Sonos system from her end, we both discovered that if any attempt is made to play from an imported playlist, the system will crash and will stay like that until it is rebooted again.  If no attempt is made to play from an imported playlist after rebooting the system, it is possible to play music from other categories within the library, such as albums, songs, artists, etc., but only from the desktop app.  The tech said this problem has emerged within the last week and there’s no timeline for fixing it...but she assured me that they are trying.

This whole thing is such a disgrace, the worst consumer software meltdown I have experienced in thirty years and so it goes on.  If I were a cynic, I’d say it’s Sonos’s way of forcing us all into streaming only but the truth is probably more mundane: that it’s simply a perfect storm of incompetence, corporate stupidity and greed.

I hope this is useful to some of you.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Was this after updating the iOS app to the newest version released on Monday that has evidently fixed a number of music library issues?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Was this after updating the iOS app to the newest version released on Monday that has evidently fixed a number of music library issues?

Yes. More fool me but my app is set to update automatically. These music library problems have become like whack-a-mole; as soon as one problem appears to be solved, another emerges. Sonos now officially recognises the problem described above but only since Monday.