Question

No Airplay option for Apple music

• 28 October 2020
  • 18 replies

Badge

So until a few months ago I was able to connect to my sonos speaker on the Apple Music app and AirPlay straight to my speaker. No there’s no option on the airplay screen. I can play music from the sonos app but would prefer to be able to play from the apple music app like I originally was. Anyone know how to fix this? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

@Charliemartin389, Reboot your iPhone and the Sonos ONE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Did you Bind your Airplay-compatible Sonos device with eg a Playbar as a surround? That will disable Airplay. Tell us what Sonos hardware you have.

Badge

@Charliemartin389, Reboot your iPhone and the Sonos ONE.

I have tired this, but it has not fixed the problem

Badge

Did you Bind your Airplay-compatible Sonos device with eg a Playbar as a surround? That will disable Airplay. Tell us what Sonos hardware you have.

No I haven’t binded it with anything, I just use it as a single speaker. How do I check the sonos hardware? 

@Charliemartin389, According to your profile you have a ONE but perhaps it’s a ONE SL, the one without microphones. Both are Airplay-enabled.

Badge

@Charliemartin389, According to your profile you have a ONE but perhaps it’s a ONE SL, the one without microphones. Both are Airplay-enabled.

I’m pretty sure it’s the ONE and has microphones, but still, is there anyway to fix my problem? 

I’m pretty sure it’s the ONE and has microphones, but still, is there anyway to fix my problem? 

Try resetting the network settings on the iDevice and then setting up the WiFi connection to your router again - also switch off any other WiFi access points/repeaters/hubs and see if doing those things fixes it for you.

The couple of times I have had this issue, the answer provided by Smilja above resolved the issue. In fact, there was no need to reboot the Sonos, it was purely an issue on my iPhone. I needed to do some research in order to actually reboot the phone, as Apple had changed the reboot process from button pushing to a command in the settings area, but once I found the instructions, it was easy to do. 

It has been over a year since the last time it occurred for me. 

Badge

Try resetting the network settings on the iDevice and then setting up the WiFi connection to your router again - also switch off any other WiFi access points/repeaters/hubs and see if doing those things fixes it for you.

How do I reset the network settings? 

Badge

The couple of times I have had this issue, the answer provided by Smilja above resolved the issue. In fact, there was no need to reboot the Sonos, it was purely an issue on my iPhone. I needed to do some research in order to actually reboot the phone, as Apple had changed the reboot process from button pushing to a command in the settings area, but once I found the instructions, it was easy to do. 

It has been over a year since the last time it occurred for me. 

Which setting is the reboot function in for the iPhone? 

Settings/General/Reset ...choose option ‘Reset Network Settings’ and the iPhone reboot (I thought you mentioned you tried that?) is in Settings/General/Shutdown. I would choose that first and then power the device back on again, that’s just as good/better than a restart.

Apple’s Settings > General > Shut Down  (Not Reset!)

After the phone turns off, you need to wait two minutes, then push the button on the right side. It will boot back up. Or just plug it in to power, I think that starts the boot up process as well. 

More info, courtesy of a quick Google search, and Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Badge

Apple’s Settings > General > Shut Down  (Not Reset!)

After the phone turns off, you need to wait two minutes, then push the button on the right side. It will boot back up. Or just plug it in to power, I think that starts the boot up process as well. 

I have just tried this and there’s still no airplay option for my sonos 

Badge

Settings/General/Reset ...choose option ‘Reset Network Settings’ and the iPhone reboot (I thought you mentioned you tried that?) is in Settings/General/Shutdown. I would choose that first and then power the device back on again, that’s just as good/better than a restart.

I have just tried this and there’s still no airplay option for my sonos 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Were you using Airplay or On this device? 

On the top of your speaker, does it have physical buttons or touch buttons? If physical buttons I think you have a Play:1 rather than a One or One SL. 

Badge

Were you using Airplay or On this device? 

On the top of your speaker, does it have physical buttons or touch buttons? If physical buttons I think you have a Play:1 rather than a One or One SL. 

I have touch buttons, I have a One as previously stated. I have been able to use airplay on this phone on this speaker previously and now nothing 

Badge

On my Alexa app I have the default media player as Apple Music, however whenever I ask Alexa to play music via my Sonos I plays music from Amazon music? Incredibly frustrating as it says it’s connected to Apple Music. Has anyone got any other ideas on how to get my Apple Music reconnected to my Sonos so I can Airplay / Alexa? It’s a brand new speaker not even a year old and it’s massively disappointing that it seems to have this problem which cannot be fixed.