Skip to main content
Answered

New Search and Music Library

• 22 April 2024
  • 7 replies

I note from the post announcing the New Search that local music library was not included.  I’m puzzled by this as I can’t be the only person who has hundreds of albums in their local library.  I have two questions:

• Why was the local library excluded from the local search?
  • Do you have plans to retrofit it into the New Search, and if so when will this happen?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

New Search uses a frankly bizarre architecture, which I do not understand the reasoning behind.

The search is done entirely in the cloud: this means it knows nothing about your local music (or your personal playlists on music services), plus it is not compatible with every music service (as the services need to be able to handle the “all” category and many do not).

Recommend you stick with Classic Search (or old-old search that the Desktop apps still use).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @controlav 

The new just released does not offer the old search. You can browse but with 1000+ albums to scroll through that is not a valud option.

The previous version used to support album images contained in the album folder. With this version you must have embedded image content.

Cant do that with wav files. To pay for high quality speakers and not support high quality sound seems DUMB from Sonos. Not all my audio is flac so the recent change is retrograde.

I saw another mention that suggest the search is cloud based. What happens if i have no internet (have a caravan with local only network).

Please fix this Sonos.

Userlevel 3

Come on, Sonos... Listen to your customers!

Give us back a proper search function, and access to our own music! 

The new controller update does not include my personal library, stored on pc, in the search function. Hard to see how anyone could pretend this is “improved functionality”. It’s clearly a backward step and must be significant inconvenience to thousands of Sonos customers. Personally, I thought the classic search worked really well. Why must they fiddle with something that isn’t broken, and degrade the Sonos experience?

Love the hardware but this type of thing is just so “Apple-arrogant” and it’s unnecessary. 

My issue with the new search:

I have an album which is categorised as various artists. when I select my library and a search of albums the following is returned.

an image of the album associated with each artist and their songs.

My intention is to play the album. And select songs from the list all or individual songs.

Not very workable

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

tedrecord

I can't even add my library since the most recent update ….Any help ? how did you do it ? Im on Mac