Skip to main content
Question

New NAS drive but still cannot get it to work

• 21 July 2024
  • 2 replies

We have had a Sonos system for a long time now. We got it originally so we could transfer all our CDs to a NAS drive and play them wherever we had a Sonos player instead of loading one at a time in a CD player and only playing on a Hifi system. We now have several hundred CDs loaded but found that, like everyone else, the ‘Music Library’ had vanished with the updated app. The system has 9 ‘Ones’ of various types, 2 Play 3s, 1 Beam, I Roam and 1 Port.

I understand there is a security problem with SMB v1 (I think there is a real issue!) and that my old D-Link DNS-320 is no longer fit for purpose so I have now invested in a Synology DSM224+. This is set for SMB v3. However, I can’t get this seen by my Sonos system.

So my first question - if I can get the NAS drive seen by Sonos, will it only work from our desktop PC, running Windows 10, or will it work from the app on our iPhones as well, as these don’t seem to have ‘Manage Music Library’ settings? If it will work from the iPhone app, why do I have to have my Desktop PC on and set to never sleep?

Second question is why can’t I add a Music Library using the desktop app? There are 3 options - “My Music folder”; “From another folder or drive connected to my computer” and “Networked Device - ex. NAS drive”. All seem to give same result of ‘Unable to add the shared folder’ error 913. Is this a feature of the new, totally useless’ desktop app.

The updated app seems to have removed every reason for having a Sonos system so I now have a load of expensive junk.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Much confusion and bugginess in the new app, makes this a problem. Read the other NAS topics and see if any have tips you can use. Make sure you are on the latest version.

If you have a NAS, and not an external drive hooked to another device then nothing needs to be left on as Sonos will fetch directly from the NAS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have my 20k song Music library stored on my Synology NAS 224+, So I do know that your new setup can at least work once setup correctly.

I simply copied my Music library from my old PC to a newly created and shared Music folder on the NAS. I didn’t use the existing default Music folder on the NAS.
I then used the Sonos desktop controller to add this path via “Music Library Settings”. My path was in the form //MyNAS/MyMusic and I specified the appropriate Synology user/password credentials that has access to the share.

Once the shared music folder is added via the Sonos desktop app and the index has been completed you should be able to see the music library on ALL of your Sonos controller devices (Sonos app IOS and Android, Sonos desktop old and web app, SonoPhone & SonoPad IOS just for example).
You won’t need to leave computer on, just the NAS.

Just FYI, I also installed Plex on my NAS and gave it access to the same Music library. This works well via the Plex and PlexAmp apps both locally and away from home. I have some sporadic timing issues when using Plex service locally “within” the Sonos app, but others on the forums with similar setups do not have this issue.

I hope this helps. I am unsure what the cause of your error 913 is, but as per @Stanley_4 there are many other topics on these forums re this error. It would pay to check your Music sharing setup on the NAS. As a test, can you see/access the NAS music share directly from your Desktop PC via file explorer?

Ross.