Skip to main content

Since the release of the new app, I’ve noticed that when I shuffle one of my playlists, the result always seems to be the same. It’s as though for a particular playlist and instance of the app, whatever is meant to be seeding the pseudo-randomisation is using the same seed value every time.

This is an irritation for the shorter playlists, but for the longer playlists, it means I’m only ever hearing a few songs from the playlist. It’s all the more disappointing as during the last year the degree of randomness in shuffle had seemed to be improving. 🙄

This seems odd to me. I tend to play a single ‘playlist’ in multiple rooms daily, using randomization/shuffle and repeat settings. While I continue to be frustrated that my Sonos loses position in the playlist when they update firmware on the speaker (which causes a reboot of the devices, I understand why, but have never understood why location in a playlist couldn’t be stored across power outages), I get different randomization of the single playlist in each room, and if I turn off randomization, then turn it back on, I get a different ‘shuffle’ of the playlist. 

It is a fairly large playlist, though. I wonder if things are different based on size involve? Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?