Skip to main content
Question

"Music Library Settings" missing

With the new app, I can’t access my music at all. According to the Sonos support pages, you add your music library by going to “Manage” and then “Music Library Settings”. But in my app, there is no Music Library Settings on that page, only Content Services.

I called Sonos support, and they told me that some people are missing that setting, and this is something they’re working on (and they couldn’t say how long that would take). But the lady I talked to didn’t really seem to know what she was talking about. I haven’t found anybody else reporting this problem. Everybody is talking about all the missing features, but nobody mentions not even being able to access your music through the app. Is somebody else experiencing this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

109 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I’ve no idea what smb is so will need to find out. And I’ve just had no choice but to update the app on my mac and so now I’m truly uncoupled. My house has no music tonight. 

I cannot find my NAS with over 400 cds on and cannot see ‘your sources’. This is making me ill. I have spent thousands on this stuff since 2007. I can no longer do what I bought the stuff for. That’s got to be a breach of contract surely?

If your NAS is using SMB v1, you need to switch it to SMB v2 or v3.  Sonos has dropped support for SMB v1 due to some highly publicized, yet dubious security issues that were never a threat to Sonos, but tending to security “threats” make for good PR.

My NAS is using SMBv2 & SMB v3 but I still have the issue. 

I have same issue feels like someone is tinkering their end and not sure what there tinkering with?

How come none of the sonos ream has responded?

Do they have a trust pilot survey?

Almost getting to  the point of looking for something else

Userlevel 3

It’s an absolute nightmare. I’ve tried talking to someone from Sonos but cannot get through. Bank Holiday weekend and NO music. Thanks for nothing Sonos!!!

Userlevel 1

I am one of those users appalled that Sonos has launched an app that is clearly not ready for use and which removes functions that many of us regard as core functions. For me local library access is one of the core functions. When I went to access Sonos on my iPad recently I found that the app had been updated to the new format, even though I had not authorised that update, and my local music library access had disappeared. After a lot of fiddling around and looking on the internet I managed to find the link to my local music library by doing the following:

1. Click on Edit Home at the bottom of the app window.
  2. Move the Your Sources bar up to the top of the Edit Home window (hold the horizontal lines on the right hand side of the bar and move the bar up) and click Done.
  3. Once I did that My Music Library appeared below TV as one of my sources. I was now able to access the library.
  4. The music library does NOT appear in the app Search function however - hopefully that will be addressed in future updates.

I can assure Sonos that with this mess up and my experience of the contempt it showed to existing customers by bricking their speakers a couple of years ago, I will not buy any more Sonos products, especially those new headphones. Buy Sony and Bose instead.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am one of those users appalled that Sonos has launched an app that is clearly not ready for use and which removes functions that many of us regard as core functions. For me local library access is one of the core functions. When I went to access Sonos on my iPad recently I found that the app had been updated to the new format, even though I had not authorised that update, and my local music library access had disappeared. After a lot of fiddling around and looking on the internet I managed to find the link to my local music library by doing the following:

1. Click on Edit Home at the bottom of the app window.
  2. Move the Your Sources bar up to the top of the Edit Home window (hold the horizontal lines on the right hand side of the bar and move the bar up) and click Done.
  3. Once I did that My Music Library appeared below TV as one of my sources. I was now able to access the library.
  4. The music library does NOT appear in the app Search function however - hopefully that will be addressed in future updates.

I can assure Sonos that with this mess up and my experience of the contempt it showed to existing customers by bricking their speakers a couple of years ago, I will not buy any more Sonos products, especially those new headphones. Buy Sony and Bose instead.

Thanks for trying DaveJ, unfortunately I cannot see ‘My Services’ anywhere. I was thinking of deleting the app and reinstalling but worried that deleted data in app might permanently lose my Sonos Playlists. I can see they are there in Sonophone which I downloaded on someone else's advice here, but cannot play without my local library. 

I agree with everything else you have said and more. Losing 17 years of personally curated playlists has really upset me. I just cannot play music the way I did before and I’m just so angry with Sonos having forgiven them in 2021. I think they want to go down the pure streaming route and cut of local everything. That’s not ok is it? We have to keep fighting but thanks for the advice.

Good luck

I have same issue feels like someone is tinkering their end and not sure what there tinkering with?

How come none of the sonos ream has responded?

Do they have a trust pilot survey?

Almost getting to  the point of looking for something else

Hi andy-1, yes just go to trustpilot and type in SONOS under company and you will get various options about SONOS up to choose from. Some people have already listed their thoughts! Don’t forget to tick the box to let SONOS see your review!

Userlevel 1

Elovarun

You need to look for “Your Sources” not “Your Services”. This is a screenshot of my iPad app:

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I used to have the ‘My Sources’ area in the app, but it’s gone following the most recent update.  Is there a way to add it back?  I’ve reset the app, deleted and reinstalled it but it’s not showing up, on either my iPhone or iPad.

I can see ‘My Sources’ when I access my system with the web page.

Userlevel 1

@SilverGrey 

Is it possible that My Sources is actually present on the app, but not visible on the screen? I say this because when I first opened the new app, My Sources was at the very bottom of the screen and I had to scroll down to it. It only showed TV as a source and Music Library was not there. When I did the Edit Home sequence described in my earlier comment above, my Music Library then appeared, although for some mysterious reason the TV entry has subsequently disappeared. If you click on Edit Home do you see a bar with My Sources written on it?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@SilverGrey

Is it possible that My Sources is actually present on the app, but not visible on the screen? I say this because when I first opened the new app, My Sources was at the very bottom of the screen and I had to scroll down to it. It only showed TV as a source and Music Library was not there. When I did the Edit Home sequence described in my earlier comment above, my Music Library then appeared, although for some mysterious reason the TV entry has subsequently disappeared. If you click on Edit Home do you see a bar with My Sources written on it?

‘Your Sources’ have magically appeared but only TV is present.  I give up with this. Trying to do anything with the app in its current state isn’t good for stress levels!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Elovarun

You need to look for “Your Sources” not “Your Services”. This is a screenshot of my iPad app:

Thanks Mate, it’s not there on my app which makes me think that not only are we all being used as app testers, there must be A/B variant testing too. This is just so not acceptable. Mike

@SilverGrey

‘Your Sources’ have magically appeared but only TV is present.  I give up with this. Trying to do anything with the app in its current state isn’t good for stress levels!

The TV source will probably appear when the play focus is on the room that has the tv line in. If focus is on like a play1 it won’t appear. 

I have the music library issue where it comes and goes. I will have music playing but literally can’t change it because the link is gone. The new app is buggy AF, certainly feels like we are non consenting beta testers. 

Userlevel 1

Elovarun

Thanks Mate, it’s not there on my app which makes me think that not only are we all being used as app testers, there must be A/B variant testing too. This is just so not acceptable. Mike

Who knows what they are doing, as they certainly don’t. When you look at my screenshot the most prominent thing on it is the advert for the Sonos Roam 2. It also looks like the app was rushed out to coincide with the new headphones launch.

If you are reading this Sonos management, users like me don’t want an app with your adverts on it, we want an app that contains the things that we were promised when we bought your expensive kit e.g.: my local music library; ability to add tracks to music queues and Play Next; alarms; playlists that work and so on.

Anyway good look Elovarun, hopefully it will get sorted out soon - until the next app relaunch………..

My Sources popped up for 24 hours or so on the web app and has now disappeared. No sign of it at all on the app, even after the most recent update.  Another user here with a huge library on a NAS that is totally unusable. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

same here. migrated to new mac mini pro and now no access to my library. Can't play my music through my computer on wifi like i used to with Sonos one speaker. What happened to this company??!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@SilverGrey

I think I’ve worked out my problem and it’s about the SMB 1 to 2 move. I run an old Buffalo Linkstation which I think is SMB1. It works fine always has done. But I’ve read elsewhere here that in the new update they have stopped support. No notice of course. So now it won’t connect me back to the drive (I worked out a way to do it on the Mac App). They don’t give you a helpful error message like ‘this NAS drive uses SMB1 which Sonos no longer supports’.  It just says ‘invalid’ or something like it. 

So having obsoleted all my perfectly workable Sonos equipment 3 years ago, which I dutifully replaced at high cost to myself, they are now obsoleting tech that is nothing to do with them. So now I have to buy a new NAS drive? 

My Son says you might as well move over to Spotify, everything is there and you can replicate your playlists. Well I don’t want to do that and it will take ages. How many of us have spent our holiday weekends sorting this shit out, raising our blood pressures and not enjoying ourselves?

I’m am so grateful to those on this thread and across the community for the help. Sonos is now a swear word in this house.

With the new app, I can’t access my music at all. According to the Sonos support pages, you add your music library by going to “Manage” and then “Music Library Settings”. But in my app, there is no Music Library Settings on that page, only Content Services.

I called Sonos support, and they told me that some people are missing that setting, and this is something they’re working on (and they couldn’t say how long that would take). But the lady I talked to didn’t really seem to know what she was talking about. I haven’t found anybody else reporting this problem. Everybody is talking about all the missing features, but nobody mentions not even being able to access your music through the app. Is somebody else experiencing this?

I have a similar problem. The music library appeared a couple of times and I could place it one the home page. I could not search it. It has now disappeared for good.  This was all in the background.  I could not update or set the library path as in the all the versions in the path.  For me it’s rendered the whole system useless. Of course no reply from Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

That figures. I still cannot get Alexa, Spotify to work properly and I suspect they can’t either. Seems they are only interested in iOS mobile. The speaker is good when it plays but functionality is very poor now they’ve junked my music library which I liked to use as I’ve paid for it. Apparently they’ve got some headphones out now for you to buy as if the world needs Sonos Headphones. How about making the stuff that made the company actually work consistently well. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to never buying anything from these guys again. 

Had the same issue today, added some songs to my WD My Cloud Home drive, updated the Music Library so the songs were visible on the Sonos Desktop app but when I went into the Mobile app (IPhone) couldn’t see the Library. Followed the above advice to shuffle stuff around on the Home screen and it appeared in Your Sources along with TV. Shut down the app to try again then Your Sources disappeared entirely (both TV and Music Library)! Done it again and both appeared again??

Have chatted with Sonos and they say the bug will be fixed in mid-June, details in this link:-

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Left them a ‘I’m very disappointed in them’ message in the post chat questionnaire (probably be ignored!).

Hope the above helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

That’s great someone listened to you. First rule of Buisness..” listen to those that provide you with the means to do what you do”. I read your post and link.. they’ve never explained that to us in the UK. We shall see.. again actions speak louder than words. I still have to remove and reinstall Alexa to work my Spotify account almost everyday. Clearly there’s a lot wrong with core Buisness here. I do wonder if Sonos are interested in their customers really. 

keep us informed. Thank you for posting

Yes, it seems Music Library in the Android app appears just as mysteriously as it disappears. 

I'm having the exact same problem. Cannot access my music library, on a NAS, from the newly automatically updated app. The entire source selection and setup is missing. SONOS, this is a disaster! Access to my own music library is why I have SONOS and how I primarily use it.

Thought I would go to “Contact us”  and there 24x7 chat line has no operatives available - not 24x7 then is it!

Then I noticed “Contact the CEO” , so I sent the CEO an email about their new reduction in functionality.

I suggest everyone on here should do similar, as they are ignoring these posts.

To save you looking - ceo@sonos.com

Thanks for posting the email address. Here’s what I just wrote:

I have three Sonos amplifiers that I purchased to drive the 14 Sonos speakers that were wired into the house we bought three years ago, plus a Sonos:1 and a Sonos:3 that we'd had previously.

I don't use streaming services. I have a ton of music that I've digitized from rare vinyl albums that I will never find on Spotify or Amazon Music. I used to delight in playing these though the three Sonos zones I set up. But now I can't because there's no way to access my library. I continually get a 913 error when attempting to do so.

I now have $4000 of paperweights.

Your reputation is tanking faster than Tylenol after the poisoned pill crisis. At least they did something to redeem themselves. Will you?

This is dreadful. My local music library cannot be seen.  In "my sources" I have my TV etc but my library via the app is nowhere to be seen. 

Can we stop changing things. Or maybe its time to give us remote controls like in the old days!!!

Same for me - it's always been a second rate clunky app but at least the old version worked most of the time - the new one is a disaster that should be withdrawn immediately