Answered

Music Library only partially importing from iTunes

• 14 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

I’ve imported my music library from iTunes. I’m using an old version of iTunes (12.8.3.1). My music library is fairly large but what I’ve noticed is Sonos has only imported some of the material, not everything. I also have my iTunes music library on a newer macbook pro with the latest version of both the OS and iTunes, as well as on the cloud. I’ve tried importing from each of these (old iTunes, new iTunes and the cloud) with pretty much the same results. I’ll have maybe half or three quarters of a particular artists work while other artists I seem to get more / all of. I’ve tried importing a few times, starting from scratch each time. I’ve also tried “updating” my sonos library, neither approach resolved this.

Anyone run into this and find a solution? OR, can you offer a method for me to simply import the missing content ad hoc?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 19 March 2024, 14:19

View original

6 replies

Is there a possibility that these tracks that aren’t being played have DRM on them?

Please define ‘fairly large’

Badge

Thank you for your replies.

No drm is not involved. I purchased and digitized the content long before drm ever came into being.

Fairly large iTunes Music Library = 70.19 GB

Apple’s iTunes, from its very inception, used DRM. It was only later that Apple pulled back, and made their library DRM free where they could. I remember I had thousands of tracks needed to be re-downloaded, so that they could be played by applications other than Apple’s. 

Three things that can make your import incomplete:

1. Format.  There are some formats that will not be imported, and DRM is one of them.  Here’s a listing of the supported formats:  https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-audio-formats-for-sonos-music-library
  2. Too many files, or long filenames/tags.  The index will hold 65,000 tracks.  If the filename/tags are too big for the allotted index, another index will be used up, taking away from the 65,000 track total. 
  3. Blank tags.  If there are missing tags, that track is not going to show up in searches involving that tag (Genre, Artist, Composer, etc.)  Check the folder view for the track, if it is present in the folder view, then you need to update the tags.  
Badge

Thanks. I’ll check your suggestions.