Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

755 replies

I found my solution jbl bluetooth speaker  less than 40 bucks and kiss sonos arrogance away. 
ever thought about why they did it?

maybe so we can’t listen to what we already bought this way we have to opt to buy into one of all the supported streaming services …. Not with me sonos  and thank you sooo much for your crappy customer seevice !!!!

Would you not have been better off with a Sonos Bluetooth speaker instead? You could have played to it over Bluetooth and grouped it with your existing Play:1 and had the audio output through both, in the same or different rooms. It may have cost more, but so many more options become available. 

Userlevel 3

Why would i wanna buy anything else from sonos again??????!!!!!

Why would i wanna buy anything else from sonos again??????!!!!!

Well it’s your prerogative, but I think you would have achieved far more with a Sonos Bluetooth product than your purchase choice - you don’t have to use the Sonos App for playback either - it’s only a software "remote" for sonos hardware anyway. Anyway it’s a matter for yourself. I just would have chosen a different path.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Got notification to do another Sonos update today. Had already gone back to normal after losing my library like everyone else on here for several weeks so I hit ‘update’ with some trepidation. But it is still all working fine. Phew! So good to have it all back to normal and being able to play my beloved tunes xx 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

JFC!

My Music library disappeared again this Morning.

I had fixed everything using the instructions earlier in this thread.

Sonos Software engineers competency has lost My confidence.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Isn’t it weird how we are now all having such different experiences with this!

My Sonos is fixed and back to normal, others are having their music library disappearing on them...xxx

Isn’t it weird how we are now all having such different experiences with this!

My Sonos is fixed and back to normal, others are having their music library disappearing on them...xxx

Yes, the locally shared library is working okay for me too with the new App.. not sure why others maybe having difficulty, unless they’re perhaps not using SMBv2 or higher in some cases to share their library or they have maybe set the minimum version of the protocol to SMBv1🤔?

Like everyone else, I am really annoyed with how Sonos has handled this terrible update over the past two months (!!!!!). What had been a well functioning product is now a daily source of frustration. Here are a few specific complaints after the forced update this morning (I had been more or less able to use the old app until today):

1. Loss of playlists is unacceptable. I had dozens of playlists that I referenced and edited frequently.
  2. Loss of a list of letters on the right hand side when browsing the music library makes the list browser unusable. With hundreds or thousands of items, scrolling alphabetically is extremely difficult.
  3. I constantly have to reboot the PC hosting the music library because something is wrong with indexing. I probably have to reboot several times a day (I listen to music through my Sonos for 8-10 hours a day).
  4. Search does not search my music library. Pairing this with item 2 above makes using the Music Library needlessly difficult.

This is certainly not a comprehensive list but these are the big ticket items for me. Frankly, I am shocked that these items have not been addressed yet.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The update overnight removed My perfectly working Music Library (Mac). 

I knew I was in trouble when I awoke to the Sonos Chime vs My selected Playlist. 

I am now using the same protocol to re-add My Music Library-which was entirely missing...been at it for awhile...fingers crossed I can get it running before My first Client at 8am (I play Music for My at Home Business)... 

Userlevel 1

On iOS app, music library on my NAS appears sporadically  sometimes stays, sometimes disappears. If I go to a recently played song from the music library, the app sometimes lets music library appear.  My smb settings are set to 3. I upgraded system yesterday with new system update. Fix the app please. So tired of this bs. 

Badge +2

Download and install Plex and Plexamp on to your PC. Buy a monthly Plex Pass (£3.99 pm (or £31.99 pa) - yes I know its a pain to pay but if you’ve spent thousands on your speakers and thousands on your music collection its nothing). Add your music. Go to SONOS app and add Plex as a Service (its in the list) and link to your Plex account and you can then access all your music from your PC. You need to enable some permissions (can’t remember which offhand but it wasn’t rocket sience). I did monthly subscription hoping that SONOS might fix this and I won’t need Plex…..

You are also meant to be able to contrl your SONOS system from the Plex app but I haven’t managed that yet.

Only way to play my music library now is via a Sonos blue tooth first then attach other speakers for other rooms. However, since the update on the new app unable to play different music in different rooms while someone is also watching the tv. If I link the soundbar to other music speakers then lose the ability to get the tv back on its own.

Sent email to sonos, and they said this woulds be fixed with future updates available soon.- still waiting

I wish a company like Sonos would try out their new updates before unleashing it on all the people that have invested in their products over the years.

It seems they only want to stream the music companies apps that you have to pay for and not your own music library. Not good enough after the hours upon hours I have put in to be able to play my music. When the new app came out it destroyed all my playlists and have spent hours rebuilding from scratch to re establish them on my Mac book pro and hard wired to my iPhone to copy in order to play my music on the go via apple play. And there is another problem with Apple ditching iTunes and causing lots of probs with their new OS releases, again just concentrating on you being an Apple Music subscriber.

I wish there was another company in competition I would willingly dump my investment and start over again.

Download and install Plex and Plexamp on to your PC. Buy a monthly Plex Pass (£3.99 pm (or £31.99 pa) - yes I know its a pain to pay but if you’ve spent thousands on your speakers and thousands on your music collection its nothing). Add your music. Go to SONOS app and add Plex as a Service (its in the list) and link to your Plex account and you can then access all your music from your PC. You need to enable some permissions (can’t remember which offhand but it wasn’t rocket sience). I did monthly subscription hoping that SONOS might fix this and I won’t need Plex…..

You are also meant to be able to contrl your SONOS system from the Plex app but I haven’t managed that yet.

Maybe the attached screenshots will assist you with the Plex App and/or Sonos playback..

Hi mvosloo

Thanks for the response tip, will try it our and see how I get on!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just under 3 hours with Sonos level 1 tech support. 

Dude could not fix the Music Library problem that just happened after the 7/19 update.

Escalated to level 2...not available-will email Me…

Just re-purchased Apple Music for $10.99...that works perfectly for streaming My iTunes Library content...

Badge +2

Maybe the attached screenshots will assist you with the Plex App and/or Sonos playback..

Although I have the option to ‘Link to SONOS acoount’ on the PC version (SONOS doesn’t appear at all on hthe app), if I select it nothing happens. I’m not too concerned as I am OK with the SONOS app now that I can access my personal music library.

Userlevel 3

Just under 3 hours with Sonos level 1 tech support. 

Dude could not fix the Music Library problem that just happened after the 7/19 update.

Escalated to level 2...not available-will email Me…

Just re-purchased Apple Music for $10.99...that works perfectly for streaming My iTunes Library content...

See that’s what they probably want! Question is how much apple music pays sonos to screw things up for us?!?!

See that’s what they probably want! Question is how much apple music pays sonos to screw things up for us?!?!

Since Sonos is a public corporation, its financials are public.  If Sonos received any income from Apple, it would need to disclose that income.  Looking at their financial disclosures, they do not receive income from Apple Music, or any other subscription service, outside of Sonos’ own service, Sonos Radio. 

Although I have the option to ‘Link to SONOS acoount’ on the PC version (SONOS doesn’t appear at all on hthe app), if I select it nothing happens. I’m not too concerned as I am OK with the SONOS app now that I can access my personal music library

Are you a subscriber to Plex and have a valid plex-pass? You need that to see your Sonos products in the Plex App.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a WD My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage plugged into my ethernet.  I moved my music folders to that device and the Sonos app can see them.  I added them as my Music Library.  Been working for a month or so.

Badge +2

Although I have the option to ‘Link to SONOS acoount’ on the PC version (SONOS doesn’t appear at all on hthe app), if I select it nothing happens. I’m not too concerned as I am OK with the SONOS app now that I can access my personal music library

Are you a subscriber to Plex and have a valid plex-pass? You need that to see your Sonos products in the Plex App.

I don’t have the premium account but I have an account and have a valid plex pass.

I don’t have the premium account but I have an account and have a valid plex pass.

See this link…

https://support.plex.tv/articles/control-sonos-playback-with-a-plex-app/

If it’s not working, maybe something is blocking your Plex App seeing the devices on the same subnet. It’s definitely working okay here, albeit I have a lifetime subscription from many years ago.

(Edit: By the way I thought having a Plex Pass is what made it a premium account, but maybe things have changed since I signed up some years ago?)

I found my solution jbl bluetooth speaker  less than 40 bucks and kiss sonos arrogance away. 
ever thought about why they did it?

maybe so we can’t listen to what we already bought this way we have to opt to buy into one of all the supported streaming services …. Not with me sonos  and thank you sooo much for your crappy customer seevice !!!!

Would you not have been better off with a Sonos Bluetooth speaker instead? You could have played to it over Bluetooth and grouped it with your existing Play:1 and had the audio output through both, in the same or different rooms. It may have cost more, but so many more options become available. 

Not even arrogance, plain incompetence. I moved to Bluos. Very happy now!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I posted this in a similar thread yesterday morning but, I had gone through all of the machinations posted in the Community Forum(s) but stopped short of installing the fireware update on the speakers as I’m waiting for the July update that “may” reunite me with my music library that is stored on SSD USB drive on our newest iMac and/or offer an option back to my stone age bliss that I previously enjoyed.

Yesterday, I downloaded Sonophone from the Apple App store ($3.99 one-time fee).  I clicked “Open” and, in under 15 seconds, it had found my network, traced the path to my Sonos Music Library stored on my drive and, it was all as it used to be prior to the iOS/Android update last month.

Sonophone doesn’t have the TruePlay tuning and/or probably a few other features but, it does everything I need it to do.  According to the developer, they will be releasing an update in 2 to 3 weeks. I will update the Sonos iOS app whenever it addresses the library issues but, I don’t think I’ll be utilizing their Web App or be deleting the S2 app on my iMacs that I had to REinstall.

Brad

Userlevel 1

Pres

Has ...

Hi @yellowtail, local library support has been screwy and frustrating since early May. Long story short: those first two options (My Music Folder, Another Folder) are not supported, even though they show up in the Mac desktop client and even though you can click on them. The only supported option is “Networked Device” even when the library is on your Mac.

Follow these direction to the letter …

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/share-your-macos-music-folder-with-sonos

… and then select the “Networked Device” option in the Mac desktop app.

Press250, I should have mentioned I also tried that option many times yielding no success but several different errors. However, you inspired me to try a few more times and...it is working (at least for now)! What I did differently on the last try was to share the Music folder in my user folder (~\Music) instead of the folder that has the actual media (~\Music\Music\Media\Music in Sonoma). Strangely, when I set up the file share in System Settings the user list showed something like ten “Music” users, in addition to my admin account and the Everyone user. Strange days but I will take it. Again thanks for the advice.

Posted too soon. Should have known. Went to play some music from my library and...it was gone. No longer available in iOS and no libraries listed in MacOS.

I am not going to sweat out another round of Sonos-fu trying to add the library back when it is likely to disappear anyway.

The Sonos software is a disaster.