Skip to main content

Multi-room is completely unstable since the 80.02.04 update

• 10 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Been holding hope for the new app as I did not routinely use the missing features, and despite glitches with the volume control, it was working ok for me.

As of the latest release - multi-room is completely unstable.   For context - my system has been extremely reliable for many years, and I have not made any changes to wifi or potentially conflicting devices on my network.

Now I often find a zone to be unreachable, or “phantom” playing such that the app thinks it’s working, but no sound is coming out.

If I “play everywhere” (6 zones with 10 devices) things are very slow to start, but eventually playing sync is ok.   However in a few minutes, rotating drop outs start - constant random drops for a few seconds on various zones - eventually just playing on a few zones, leaving other zones “phantom” playing…. the app thinks the zones are working, but no sound from some of them.

Completely unbelievable.   I’ve been a huge advocate for Sonos and the “magic” “seamless” multi-room experience.   What sort of leadership incompetence has caused this?    Seems like a simple fix… roll back to when this system was worth its cost.    Then carefully test and release the new app when it’s ready.   This is terrible, and I’ve spent my last dollar on Sonos.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Same thing here.  I have a group of four rooms that I have been using for years!  Now members of the Group appear to be in the Group, but the music stops playing.  App indicates there’s music and playback, but no.

If I remove one of the rooms and re-add, the music immediately starts playing in that room - then I have to work my way through all four removing / re-adding.  NEVER EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE and I have been using Sonos since the beginning. :(

I don’t think this is the app this time, it’s the untested firmware they’ve shoved onto the components. 

Mind-blowing how they have trashed up this system with premature software.  If this would have been my experience when I first got Sonos, I’d have stopped with one white box and CR200 controller!

Badge

Agree - this is more than an App issue, it must be firmware or backend services related.    I get the same results when using the old MacOS app as well.

Userlevel 2

My system is doing the exact same thing, I own an ARC.and Beam both with Subs and One SL’s as well as 3 rooms with paired One SL’s and Roams, Move and Symphonisk. I did have a Boost connected to my system but have removed it hoping it would help solve the instability issues since the update but it didn’t help. The Boost could not even be found on the new app. Becoming increasingly annoyed and frustrated and the new app was the start of the end of my appreciation of my Sonos system. Would not recommend the way it is running now!

Badge

The is OP.   Further investigation led me to determine that Apple Music Lossless was unstable, while Amazon Music played just fine.    

Another user suggested connecting one speaker to the network by wire instead of wireless.   That will force speakers that support SonosNet to use that instead of wifi.   It worked very well for me, the system went from being unable to play 1 song to running stable for many hours.   However, your case may be different as I assume that the boost was also putting your system into SonosNet mode.  However if you can’t add the boost in the app now - Maybe try a wired connection…. As suggested in the post linked below…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/apple-lossless-extreme-dropout-stability-issues-with-multi-room-audio-6897710