Latest Sonos App - Do not Upgrade

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 5 replies

Just upgraded to the latest, new and improved Sonos app on my mobile phone (iPhone) and it has led to my losing my complete music library which is on a NAS.

After some discussions with support, they confirmed that this option is not available - only the commercial streaming services (and it does recognise Plex) are visible and accessible but no proprietary My Music Library.

Allegedly this will be rolled out in a future iteration, but no timeframe provided.

Beware if you are considering upgrading

149 replies

It’s my understanding that you can still browse your local library, but you are unable to search for music in the library.  Is that correct?

Obviously, if you don’t use a local library, this would not be a concern for you.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi.  No, I cannot even browse the local library.  I have tried using the search bar and it does not throw up any of the music on my local.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Local music library is there on my iPhone. It’s not as good as before but it’s there. No search and no quick alphabetic scroll. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@bockersjv did you do anything to get it to display on your screen?  In my case it does not even register

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

At the bottom of the Home Screen you can edit the items. I have “Your Sources” at the top which shows my local library and my turntable input. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There is also another update available. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@bockersjv thank you.  It has now magically appeared.  I have my local collection back.  It seems it took some time (about 1.5 hours) to update into the app which is strange, but ok for me now that this has been resolved.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Wow. Awful.

I use my Sonos at least half the time for accessing my local library.

I’ll avoid updating for as long as possible, but I know it at some point they’ll force it.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@bockersjv you mention another update available - where is that out of interest? and which version if you have that info?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It was on the ios App Store 

version 80.00.02

Userlevel 5
Badge

Ah ok, same as the one I was complaining about.  Again, thank you for your insights.

Userlevel 3

OK I GOT IT, IM AN EARLY ADOPTER BUT WHILE READING THE FIRST REACTIONS IT CONFIRMS MY FEARS: SONOS SPEAKERS ARE PERFECT BUT THEIR SOFTWARE ENGINEERS ? (A complete *)

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 3

Don’t announce a “major” overhaul on the 7th of may if you guys don’t have your act together.

seriously ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sonos as a company currently led by this CEO and this management team is not viable. Shareholders near to intervene asap in order to save their investments. this app update is terrible and for vision impaired worse than terrible. 

If you are within your return period I would highly recommend returning any Sonos products. For the rest of us, the best hope is that someone with a brain will intervene and force a rollback to a version of the app with functionality. Local Libraries barely usable? Vision problems? Tons of features gone? What was Patrick Spence thinking? Was this “new” app tested? The Board of Directors needs to step in immediately and force a rollback while figuring out how to change management teams. Unless this happens, Sonos will become nothing more than a patent troll as a business model.

Has anyone gotten the update on Android? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you confirm if local music library is searchable or is only available by a-z?

Why would Sonos alienate a significant proportion of its customers by removing support for people who don't use streaming services?!!

Userlevel 1

I’m facing a lot of network stability issues, which weren’t present in version 16.1 or earlier. Is it possible to reinstall an older version of the app on an iPhone?
Currently, without a properly functioning alarm, half of my installations appear and disappear from the app without any reason. The Beam cannot be used with the TV, as there is a glitch every two minutes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The loss of such key functionality should have been mentioned in the Release notes, especially as the Web page detailing how great it is actually shows functionality that isn't there at release.

You really can't do that Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s incomprehensible that this App could have been released in such a shocking state. If they had a planned launch date and made such a song and dance about it, then it should be the finished article. It’s incredibly unprofessional to release something so patently incomplete and leave us with no way to reverse the upgrade. 
there is no longer any facility to add, remove, activate or deactivate alarms. I use these extensively for various morning alerts and I can no longer turn them on or off. Bloody disgraceful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Don’t worry people. The features are coming in the next few months!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

The widget is gone! Sonos no longer showing on pull down panel. There's absolutely nothing new here. Just some cosmetic changes. Like others have said, great speakers and garbage app.

Userlevel 2

Can’t even work out how to add songs to my playlists on this new app? It’s also slower and harder to navigate.. Sooo wish I didn’t upgrade. If anyone knows how or if it’s possible to downgrade to the previous version pllleease let me know!! 

Userlevel 1

I’ve seen some messages on X about class action. I think this companies had enough “bad business” articles to release a college course in how to completely FAIL at software development, product management, customer support, etc..

Userlevel 2
Badge

I updated and now the app can not see my system. Keeps asking for permission to access my local network which it has. Tried multiple reboots, app reinstalls, etc no change. Can’t actually use my speakers from my iPhone now.

Userlevel 1

In addition to losing Subsonic streamer I can't change radio stations on MyTuner and it won't let me add TuneIn as a service. Unusable apart from fact I have an old iPod which hasn't taken the update. Anyone else got the radio issue?