Skip to main content

New to Sonos and so far not having a great time.   The main thing I want to do is have playlists that I put together in iTunes play through my Sonos One via either Alexa or Sonos app on my iPhone.

After spending a while trying to get smart playlists to show up in Sonos and failing, I discovered the best I could do was to copy all the songs from smart playlists into a basic playlist and that would show up under “My Music” within Apple Music on the Sonos app.   

I thought that had solved it, but if I try to play the playlists - either via the Alexa or the app - the best I can get is that sometimes they will play alphabetically...but no fun hearing same songs in same order, and cannot get shuffle to work.  Alexa either plays the playlist in alphabetical order or does nothing, and the app gives me spinning wheel then message “an error occurred while adding tracks to the Queue (1002)”.

I can see messages going back several years from people who have had variations on this problem so I am hoping by now Sonos have got a solution.   All I am after is playing the same music in the same way I can easily on my Macbook or my iPhone but doing it through my new Sonos One.  

As a test, wire the ONE to your network.

1002 is a timeout. Sonos only allows a set amount of time for an action to load the queue. Some services are simply too slow.

Load the playlist in chunks, then save everything locally as a Sonos Playlist.

Thanks - I will try that even though I have no idea how small you need to make the playlists for Sonos to cope with them or how to turn the shorter playlists into something saved locally as a Sonos playlist that will do what my original long playlist did, but I guess trial and error will be my best way!

Try chunks of 1000 tracks at a time. Use "add to end of queue". 

When the queue is complete hit "save". Depending on the controller you may need to display the queue first. 

Many thanks ratty - will give that a go as soon as I get the time

Hi again

I’m hoping you could take me through the bit about “add to end of queue” as I don’t see that option: I have turned my original playlist into 4 chunks of just over 1000 tracks (the original playlist I am trying to get on Sonos is 4,277 songs) and they have appeared under Playlists under My Music in the Sonos app on my phone, and each of the 4 does appear to work and will shuffle - which is progress, thanks! - but I don’t get how to turn those 4 back into the 4,277 song playlist I am trying to get...

Long-touch a playlist to pop the context menu. Scroll if necessary to find "add to end of queue". 

Fantastic, thank you for your help